Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 03:31 PM

348 posts, read 363,762 times

Advertisements

For those who want to know what this is without having to watch this links - this is the fourth public hearing regarding rent for Rent Stabilized apartments with leases ending between September 2022 and September 2023.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2022, 03:47 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,499,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Did anyone watch the landlord one?
Yes! I watched/listened all day. It was fascinating to watch them try to justify raising rents on RS to make up for the loss in income from MR during covid due to vacancy and having to LOWER rents for MR while RS didn't get a discount!

Obviously I'm super biased as a current and hopefully (in a new lotto building) future RS tenant, but I do think the tenant groups arguments were very strong. Anyone know anything about the board members + how this is likely to go?

Old 04-26-2022, 03:58 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,426,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterFan View Post
For those who want to know what this is without having to watch this links - this is the fourth public hearing regarding rent for Rent Stabilized apartments with leases ending between September 2022 and September 2023.
Do you know how many more they will have until they decide ?

Old 04-26-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
Yes! I watched/listened all day. It was fascinating to watch them try to justify raising rents on RS to make up for the loss in income from MR during covid due to vacancy and having to LOWER rents for MR while RS didn't get a discount!

Obviously I'm super biased as a current and hopefully (in a new lotto building) future RS tenant, but I do think the tenant groups arguments were very strong. Anyone know anything about the board members + how this is likely to go?
Wow interesting. I only watched the tenant one and the arguments were very on point! The woman who spoke at the end was very was passionate I loved all her points as well!

Old 04-26-2022, 07:24 PM

31,998 posts, read 27,183,135 times
This circus happens every year. Tenants moan the rent is too high, and landlords say it isn't high enough.

Old 04-26-2022, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
This circus happens every year. Tenants moan the rent is too high, and landlords say it isn't high enough.
I think the circumstances are different this year. Considering the whole pandemic.

Old 04-26-2022, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I think the circumstances are different this year. Considering the whole pandemic.
"Other tenant advocates sounded a refrain used throughout the pandemic: Stabilized tenants, many rendered jobless, are struggling to make rent as it is and can’t stomach an increase.

But the RSA pointed to data on emergency rent relief applications that showed rent-regulated tenants may be in better shape than their advocates claim.

Vito Signorile, the RSA’s vice president of communications, said just 5 percent of stabilized renters had been approved for relief funds. There remain about 72,000 rent-regulated tenants with pending applications. Even if all are approved for relief, Signorile said that would only represent 14 percent of the city’s estimated 850,000 stabilized units.

Signorile said that data “may indicate that stabilized tenants have not been as impacted by the pandemic as previously believed.”

https://therealdeal.com/2022/04/26/l...ed-apartments/

Old 04-26-2022, 08:28 PM

Nearly nil of the horrible predictions on various economic fallout from covid in NYC or NYS happened. This in large part was due to enormous sums spent by federal government on a host of relief programs.

Between a few stimulus checks and enhanced unemployment benefits many actually had higher household incomes than before covid. Good number of people banked all that money and or used it to pay down debt.

Again it's always something for some people. Tenants show up yearly at these RGB hearings citing all sorts of reasons why they cannot afford a rent increase. This happened long before covid, and will continue long as RS remains in effect. Covid is just something else for certain RS tenants to latch onto in aid of justifying why they are busted.

Meanwhile market rate tenants are getting hammered with rent increases, but many are managing to hold on.

Old 04-26-2022, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
"Other tenant advocates sounded a refrain used throughout the pandemic: Stabilized tenants, many rendered jobless, are struggling to make rent as it is and can’t stomach an increase.

But the RSA pointed to data on emergency rent relief applications that showed rent-regulated tenants may be in better shape than their advocates claim.

Vito Signorile, the RSA’s vice president of communications, said just 5 percent of stabilized renters had been approved for relief funds. There remain about 72,000 rent-regulated tenants with pending applications. Even if all are approved for relief, Signorile said that would only represent 14 percent of the city’s estimated 850,000 stabilized units.

Signorile said that data “may indicate that stabilized tenants have not been as impacted by the pandemic as previously believed.”

https://therealdeal.com/2022/04/26/l...ed-apartments/
I would watch the live stream on YouTube. People from the non profit organizations spoke on this.

Old 04-26-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I would watch the live stream on YouTube. People from the non profit organizations spoke on this.
Again, that is nothing new; not for profits, religious leaders, community activists, and others all have testified in past at these RGB hearings. If you go back far enough you'll find all sorts have testified at these hearings in past. What it comes down to is two distinct sides; tenants and their supporters versus landlords and theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soOJk67qOwc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt0VJfDEPyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CIEgcwJZPc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery