Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 07:10 PM

31,918 posts, read 26,999,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
3.25% for one-year leases and 5% for two-year.
Oh well, that's that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 07:19 PM

Here's the thing, Albany and NYC have pushed RS into something that it never was supposed to be; "affordable housing".

Rent control did a better job of that, but still wasn't perfect, and neither is rent stablization.

Every year people moan and wail they cannot afford their legal RS rent. But who's issue is that? Landlords are not social service agencies, and yet Albany and NYC (among other areas with RS in NYS), keep treating them as if they were, which results in this passive aggressive system we have now.

https://abc7ny.com/rent-stabilized-a...oard/11984046/

Old 06-21-2022, 07:31 PM

644 posts, read 736,025 times
Let’s say I sign the lease tomorrow. And in my lease it says 1.5 per year. Will it remain 1.5 for as long as I renew or the new percentages come into effect whenever and if I renew it goes by that.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GdoIsh View Post
Left say I sign the lease tomorrow. And in my lease it says 1.5 per year. Will it remain 1.5 for as long as I renew or the new percentages come into effect whenever and if I renew it goes by that.
If you mean new lease, rent is what it is as listed.

As for renewals again as stated previously in this thread whatever RGB votes in June affects 1 October through 30 September of following year.

Leases up for renewal through 29 September of this year are under previous RGB increase order.

If you take a one year lease then next year you'll be offered renewal at rates voted upon tonight.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:47 PM

644 posts, read 736,025 times
Oh makes sense. Thanks for the clear answer!

Old 06-21-2022, 07:53 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,841,345 times
Darn! I missed my bet, it turned out to be higher! Thank goodness I made the right decision to renew my lease for 2 years while it's still 2.5%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
3.25% for one-year leases and 5% for two-year.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:04 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,893,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GdoIsh View Post
Let’s say I sign the lease tomorrow. And in my lease it says 1.5 per year. Will it remain 1.5 for as long as I renew or the new percentages come into effect whenever and if I renew it goes by that.
it remains whats indicated on your lease, for its a binding contract; AND the increase isn't in effect until October

Old 06-21-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
it remains whats indicated on your lease, for its a binding contract AND the increase isn't in effect until October
If he/she is talking about signing a new lease, no, there isn't any sort of increase until one or two years later when it comes up for renewal.

If he/she is speaking about signing a renewal lease, then as one said, things are what they are (1.5% for half year/2.5% for two years) because covered by last year's RGB vote. Only renewals that begin on or after 1 October 2022 are affected by tonight's vote.

Increases for renewal leases take place when previous expire. If someone is offered a renewal lease starting 1 July 2022, that is when increases take affect. October has nothing to to with things unless (again) renewal starts after 30 September 2022.

By law renewal leases must go out about 90 days prior to expiration of current, so most RS have either received notices affected by last years vote. Balance will soon as it is hitting up against that 90 day period.

Even if RS renewal isn't sent within 90 days, tenant has 60 days (IIRC) from time of receipt to accept or decline. Thus theoretically if something happens and tenant was not offered renewal on time, but gets it say last week of September, they sill would be covered by prior year's vote, not actions taken tonight.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:34 PM

57 posts, read 58,129 times
I think it was a fair compromise.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_from_Brooklyn View Post
I think it was a fair compromise.
Not far as LLs are concerned, but they've all but lost hope of ever getting anything good out of RGB.

It was never going to be 9%... First numbers out of RGB are always trial balloons. They float them out and see what reaction is generated, then comes the fun.

Things are what they are and come down to what myself and others keep saying; good number of RS tenants simply cannot afford to live in NYC, period. What they need is low (to extremely) income housing that perhaps is income based.

Rent regulated rents only go one way; up. If you cannot make your number each month, sooner or later you'll either have to move (or get evicted), or run various games to keep things going.

If BdeB hadn't forced nearly four or five years of zero to nil increases on LLs there might have been some room this year for zero percent. But city blew that wad and now RGB had their backs up against the wall.

All their own data indicated LLs were entitled to steep increases this year, and that's a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery