Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 07:18 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,859,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Subletting is when primary tenant keeps apartment under their name as intends to return.

Assignment is where a tenant wants to get out of balance remaining on lease because they have no intention of returning, no longer wish to keep apartment.

With subletting all primary tenants named on lease continue to be responsible for all terms including paying rent on time. Tenant may sublet, but rent payments must still come from him/her, not subtenant. If there is damage to apartment, violations of lease or whatever primary tenants are held responsible, not subtenant.

If LL aggress to an assignment of lease then primary tenant or tenants are off the hook. A new lease will be drawn up in name of new tenant or tenants who now become primary in their own right.
Yes, and why assignment is what I’ll go for first…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 07:23 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny_G_70 View Post
I asked the Sr. Compliance Mgr. at my building if I could sublet my apartment and this is what she told me....."What I explained was that the 421a program (which is the affordable housing program the ******* lottery falls under) does not permit subletting because the apartment is supposed to be the primary residence for the leaseholder. However, having someone like a housesitter stay is fine."

I know what I think about this statement, but what do you guys think?
If apartment in question is rent regulated, then by law it must be tenant's primary residence. How this is determined has been hashed out via hundreds of court proceedings (usually bought by LLs), but basically comes down to several factors.

By same token rent laws in NYS realize your landlord while owner of property does not have total right to get into your personal affairs.

If a tenant wants someone to stay in their apartment while away (house, pet or whatever "sit") that's fine. Long as tenant continues to pay rent and otherwise not violate terms of lease.

Renting out apartment say via AirBnB OTOH is not allowed for rent regulated units, so that's out.

Having a continuous parade of "guests" or "house sitters" while primary tenant is no where to be seen, that is going to sooner or later be shut down. You cannot have a two year lease, and spend a total of less than six months or less in said apartment without good reasons. If away for educational, family or business purposes yes that would likely ok. People imprisoned in jail or upstate have kept their rent regulated apartments.

Old 05-16-2022, 08:30 AM

603 posts, read 598,964 times
Sounds like no subletting lottery apartments.

Old 05-16-2022, 08:48 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,859,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dime99 View Post
Sounds like no subletting lottery apartments.
I think that depends. My neighbor had a sublet for a year. I’m also able to do it.

I also think it depends, meaning the rules in my building for middle income differs from lower income.

Old 05-16-2022, 09:23 AM

603 posts, read 598,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
I think that depends. My neighbor had a sublet for a year. I’m also able to do it.

I also think it depends, meaning the rules in my building for middle income differs from lower income.
That's interesting. I guess if management allows it, then it's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery