Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 02:27 PM

187 posts, read 119,784 times

Advertisements

I make a small amount of money each month from side work. It's not much but it's around 500 dollars a month which would make me eligible for some lotteries on top of my current salary. Does anyone have experience reporting this? I've searched the forum and I haven't seen this answered, only people who do freelance as their main job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 02:47 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,681,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember15 View Post
I make a small amount of money each month from side work. It's not much but it's around 500 dollars a month which would make me eligible for some lotteries on top of my current salary. Does anyone have experience reporting this? I've searched the forum and I haven't seen this answered, only people who do freelance as their main job.
Keep searching. There are some detailed posts from this year about income and self employment. Including at least one I recall from a successful applicant.

Basically, income is income and needs to be reported.

Also, read the handbook.
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...g-handbook.pdf

These is another publication about income from the City but I don’t have that link handy.

Old 05-11-2022, 02:52 PM

Income guide:
https://www.nychdc.com/sites/default...me%20Guide.pdf

Old 05-11-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
I appreciate this and I have read it several times. It seems like it applies more to people that freelance as their main income. I haven't seen anything on here about reporting small portions of side income and I'm looking for people's personal experiences with that!

Old 05-11-2022, 03:32 PM

Maybe thread below will help. If you have more than one job, you can just list that as I recall. Don’t try and do the other person’s job. Do the best you can with it. Whatever you record with be reviewed, but it can take awhile so your circumstances might change by then. The decision they make can be appealed.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...hile-self.html

Old 05-11-2022, 03:32 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,483,305 times
Quote:
I appreciate this and I have read it several times. It seems like it applies more to people that freelance as their main income. I haven't seen anything on here about reporting small portions of side income and I'm looking for people's personal experiences with that!
It's not really different if it's a main source of income or just supplemental, you have to report all of your income from all sources and whatever your total income is determines your AMI and thus what buildings you may qualify for.

I recommend updating your HC profile and adding your side income, it allows you to add multiple sources of income, and then applying to buildings that fit your total annual income.

Old 05-11-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
It's not really different if it's a main source of income or just supplemental, you have to report all of your income from all sources and whatever your total income is determines your AMI and thus what buildings you may qualify for.

I recommend updating your HC profile and adding your side income, it allows you to add multiple sources of income, and then applying to buildings that fit your total annual income.
The issue is that the side work I do is contract work (think transcription work) and its through a variety of sources and I don't get any form of W2. I can self report it because I keep track of how much I make but it would be an estimate based on an average I've made each month.

Old 05-11-2022, 05:03 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,483,305 times
Quote:
The issue is that the side work I do is contract work (think transcription work) and its through a variety of sources and I don't get any form of W2. I can self report it because I keep track of how much I make but it would be an estimate based on an average I've made each month.
Yes, exactly. You have to estimate your self-employed and/or contract work. If you make more than $600 in a year form any one client, they have to send you a 1099 (like a w2 but for non-employees like yourself) and this is what the HC people will request along with your bank statements, and tax returns. So you make an educated estimate, and then be prepared to provide the documentation I mentioned to prove why your estimate should be considered accurate.

Old 05-11-2022, 06:38 PM

74 posts, read 89,224 times
Quote:
Hey! Did you read the handbook? I’ve had some Venmo payments over the course of 6 months so some small design work via Venmo that I was nervous about. But the handbook states if there’s payments that aren’t reoccurring every month, it isn’t considered in the total income. If they are gifts, random payments etc, it’s fine. If yours is typically that every month, I think it would need to be reported.

Old 05-12-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophwillybilly View Post
Hey! Did you read the handbook? I’ve had some Venmo payments over the course of 6 months so some small design work via Venmo that I was nervous about. But the handbook states if there’s payments that aren’t reoccurring every month, it isn’t considered in the total income. If they are gifts, random payments etc, it’s fine. If yours is typically that every month, I think it would need to be reported.
Yeah in this case I want to use the income so I qualify for certain buildings... and it is every month so I guess I should just document it as best I can to justify when I have to submit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: