Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 03:43 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
Wow, crazy that the average studio rent is higher than the average 1br? Maybe there is so much demand because they're "cheaper" but the demand is pushing those rents to actually be higher? For the same rent I can't think of any reason someone would want a smaller + less private apartment unless there are more studios in more desirable (expensive) areas, on average? Strange.
You must remember average rents per category of apartments are just that unless broken down otherwise.

Studio apartment would include anything from those in busted old tenements to new luxury buildings. This goes across the board and would also include fact doorman versus non-doorman buildings also are lumped into same category by bedroom (studio, one, two, etc..) unless broken down further.

https://www.elliman.com/resources/si...al-02_2022.pdf

https://www.mns.com/manhattan_rental_market_report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 03:57 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,437,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You must remember average rents per category of apartments are just that unless broken down otherwise.

Studio apartment would include anything from those in busted old tenements to new luxury buildings. This goes across the board and would also include fact doorman versus non-doorman buildings also are lumped into same category by bedroom (studio, one, two, etc..) unless broken down further.

https://www.elliman.com/resources/si...al-02_2022.pdf

https://www.mns.com/manhattan_rental_market_report
Right but those factors would also impact the average for 1brs that also range for old and funky to luxury. You would still expect the average 1br to be more expensive *unless* as I suggested, there are other factors that are driving the price up for studios to a greater extend than 1 + BRs. Like, are there are more new/luxury studios? Are they more likely to be in more desirable locations? Or is there just more demand for studios (which would seem unusual)? I guess we don't know but there is some unknown and unusual factor at play when the average studio is more expensive than the average 1br.

Old 05-20-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Right but those factors would also impact the average for 1brs that also range for old and funky to luxury. You would still expect the average 1br to be more expensive *unless* as I suggested, there are other factors that are driving the price up for studios to a greater extend than 1 + BRs. Like, are there are more new/luxury studios? Are they more likely to be in more desirable locations? Or is there just more demand for studios (which would seem unusual)? I guess we don't know but there is some unknown and unusual factor at play when the average studio is more expensive than the average 1br.
If you look at new construction past decade or so, and even ongoing, far as "affordable/low income" including buildings you see more studios and one bedrooms for these so called "luxury" buildings.

In true luxury buildings focus in past and still for most part is family sized units (two or more bedrooms).

Notice Beckford House on UES, a new luxury rental apparently has zero studios, and nearly nil one bedrooms.

https://streeteasy.com/building/beck...lding_detail=4

Meanwhile out in Brooklyn, Queens and bit of Bronx you have tons of new construction with buildings featuring healthy mix of studios and one bedrooms.

Old 05-20-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
If you look at new construction past decade or so, and even ongoing, far as "affordable/low income" including buildings you see more studios and one bedrooms for these so called "luxury" buildings.

In true luxury buildings focus in past and still for most part is family sized units (two or more bedrooms).

Notice Beckford House on UES, a new luxury rental apparently has zero studios, and nearly nil one bedrooms.

https://streeteasy.com/building/beck...lding_detail=4

Meanwhile out in Brooklyn, Queens and bit of Bronx you have tons of new construction with buildings featuring healthy mix of studios and one bedrooms.
Absolutely there are more new/luxery studios and 1BRs vs larger but this doesn't explain why/how the average studio got *more* expensive than 1br's, this doesn't make sense logically. I wonder. There must be some other factor, or maybe the numbers in the video were wrong, also possible.

Old 05-20-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Absolutely there are more new/luxery studios and 1BRs vs larger but this doesn't explain why/how the average studio got *more* expensive than 1br's, this doesn't make sense logically. I wonder. There must be some other factor, or maybe the numbers in the video were wrong, also possible.
When you read those sort of studies have to take into account source material, that is where whoever got their numbers.

Other reports show studio apartments rent for less per month than one bedrooms.

https://www.apartmentlist.com/renter...-new-york-city

If you look at "The Elliman" report one linked above, clearly studio apartments on average rent for less than one bedrooms.

Old 05-20-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
When you read those sort of studies have to take into account source material, that is where whoever got their numbers.

Other reports show studio apartments rent for less per month than one bedrooms.

https://www.apartmentlist.com/renter...-new-york-city

If you look at "The Elliman" report one linked above, clearly studio apartments on average rent for less than one bedrooms.
Yeah, another study could show a different result for sure. In the video they cite realtor.com's "rental report" so I assume they only used data from apartment listings on realtor.com, obviously a small sample of the overall NYC market. Still surprising that this would be the result and I still wonder why/what caused studio rent to shoot up so much faster than 1br rent given how much more desirable a 1br is if price is truly comparable. Probably unknowable without significant research that I'm not inclined to do. It's just an interesting data point.

Old 05-20-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
Read article from this report..

https://www.realtor.com/research/april-2022-rent/

Realtor.com used their own proprietary numbers (meaning from apartments listed with themselves) for good part of creating those survey results.

In any event difference they list in rent between a studio and one bedroom apartment was only about eight dollars ($8), hardly anything to get worked up about.

To know why and how Realtor.com arrived at their numbers you'd have to see their listings.

Old 05-20-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Read article from this report..

https://www.realtor.com/research/april-2022-rent/

Realtor.com used their own proprietary numbers (meaning from apartments listed with themselves) for good part of creating those survey results.

In any event difference they list in rent between a studio and one bedroom apartment was only about eight dollars ($8), hardly anything to get worked up about.

To know why and how Realtor.com arrived at their numbers you'd have to see their listings.
Our posts passed each other in cyberspace.

Lol, I'm not worked up about it, I just think its an interesting, confusing, and very likely false/inaccurate finding of their study (maybe do to the small/non-representative sample as we both mention). But it's also not $8, because the true numbers are likely that average studios are a few to several hundred dollars cheaper than an average 1br.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:54 PM

494 posts, read 557,287 times
I wonder how big of a shock is it really. Some of those "pandemic" rents had 3 months free and some people were paying the net effective amount monthly. No one is really clear if the shock is going from net effective to the gross rent with an increase. Or if the shock is going from what they would have been paying without the concessions to a crazy amount. Did people understand and expect to pay their gross/regular rent without concessions when they renewed their lease and then the landlord added a crazy increase on top of that?

Old 05-20-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrical View Post
I wonder how big of a shock is it really. Some of those "pandemic" rents had 3 months free and some people were paying the net effective amount monthly. No one is really clear if the shock is going from net effective to the gross rent with an increase. Or if the shock is going from what they would have been paying without the concessions to a crazy amount. Did people understand and expect to pay their gross/regular rent without concessions when they renewed their lease and then the landlord added a crazy increase on top of that?
Many of these poor unfortunate souls are being hit with rent increases of 21% to above 40% for no other reason than market rate LL's can.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/28/record...ck-out-of-nyc/

City and Albany are bending over backwards to help "low income" households, but leaving young and many middle class adult households to fend for themselves.

Rent stabilization for decades has created a perverse system that pretty much goes "I got mine, now you get yours".....

Those with low rent apartments don't move unless feet first in a box, or evicted. That means everyone else is left fighting over scraps.

https://www.curbed.com/2022/05/rente...war-craze.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery