Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 09:56 PM

74 posts, read 88,162 times

Advertisements

I received this email today when I asked about a timeline.. does this sound normal? I’ve already submitted docs 2x, filled in a clarification deposit sheet and notarized it, and had my roommate notarize stating they pay me rent via Venmo and Zelle (they didn’t ask but I did this to be ahead). Also viewed the apts and requested a specific one already. This is getting to be such a long process I don’t know what else they could possibly need!

Your file is currently under its second review and we will be requesting additional missing documents or documents required for clarification within the upcoming week if any are needed. Another review will take place and we will invite you to sign the affidavit packet for submission to HPD. We will then perform credit & background check. Afterwards your file will undergo a final review and we then submit it for approval from the city. It typically takes 5-10 business days to receive a response from the city. Once approved we notify you and the leasing department from the building will reach out to schedule lease signing. Upon lease signing your first month’s rent and security deposit are due. You will make an appointment with the leasing team and schedule your move in date when they reach out to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2022, 10:37 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,437,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophwillybilly View Post
I received this email today when I asked about a timeline.. does this sound normal? I’ve already submitted docs 2x, filled in a clarification deposit sheet and notarized it, and had my roommate notarize stating they pay me rent via Venmo and Zelle (they didn’t ask but I did this to be ahead). Also viewed the apts and requested a specific one already. This is getting to be such a long process I don’t know what else they could possibly need!

Your file is currently under its second review and we will be requesting additional missing documents or documents required for clarification within the upcoming week if any are needed. Another review will take place and we will invite you to sign the affidavit packet for submission to HPD. We will then perform credit & background check. Afterwards your file will undergo a final review and we then submit it for approval from the city. It typically takes 5-10 business days to receive a response from the city. Once approved we notify you and the leasing department from the building will reach out to schedule lease signing. Upon lease signing your first month’s rent and security deposit are due. You will make an appointment with the leasing team and schedule your move in date when they reach out to you.
Yeah, this sounds normal. Every agency moves at a different pace but the steps they outlined are typical. They may not actually ask for for any more docs but they won't know until they actually review your file. Remember, they are going through many many files, once they actually get to yours, the actual review shouldn't take long. Keep faith, the process is long but worth it! <3

Old 05-16-2022, 10:38 PM

453 posts, read 497,990 times
Hi there, wow - that sure sounds like a lot of stress! But totally worth it for a beautiful building like Willoughby, I'd live there in a heartbeat. It was on my "dream" lottery list, but sadly my log number was almost 8k

I will admit that my jaw hit the floor when I heard someone in the 100s turned it down because the fridge and W/D weren't Bosch or whatever, and that they were waiting for a "good opportunity" - cause I know what stuff is available market rate for 130% AMIs, and Willoughby-level apartments ain't it, GE fridge or not! I wish that person sincere good luck but I predict an awful lot of regret in their future! lol

Anyway, I have been watching your updates with interest because I am likely to get to this stage with SVEN soon, and damn, the work involved in yours is giving me pre-stress! May I ask how one gets something notarized here? I know back in the UK you need to pay someone licensed to notarize things for you, but it costs $$$ and is a massive PITA. Is it similar here?

Old 05-17-2022, 04:52 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,859,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
Hi there, wow - that sure sounds like a lot of stress! But totally worth it for a beautiful building like Willoughby, I'd live there in a heartbeat. It was on my "dream" lottery list, but sadly my log number was almost 8k

I will admit that my jaw hit the floor when I heard someone in the 100s turned it down because the fridge and W/D weren't Bosch or whatever, and that they were waiting for a "good opportunity" - cause I know what stuff is available market rate for 130% AMIs, and Willoughby-level apartments ain't it, GE fridge or not! I wish that person sincere good luck but I predict an awful lot of regret in their future! lol

Anyway, I have been watching your updates with interest because I am likely to get to this stage with SVEN soon, and damn, the work involved in yours is giving me pre-stress! May I ask how one gets something notarized here? I know back in the UK you need to pay someone licensed to notarize things for you, but it costs $$$ and is a massive PITA. Is it similar here?
Nah, you can go to UPS possibly FedEx (some banks) among others and should cost around $2 or so.

Old 05-17-2022, 05:24 AM

264 posts, read 312,526 times
Quote:

You can go to the nearest TD Bank branch and get any document notarized for free. Just walk in.

Old 05-17-2022, 05:29 AM

13 posts, read 13,830 times
Quote:
Hi there, wow - that sure sounds like a lot of stress! But totally worth it for a beautiful building like Willoughby, I'd live there in a heartbeat. It was on my "dream" lottery list, but sadly my log number was almost 8k I will admit that my jaw hit the floor when I heard someone in the 100s turned it down because the fridge and W/D weren't Bosch or whatever, and that they were waiting for a "good opportunity" - cause I know what stuff is available market rate for 130% AMIs, and Willoughby-level apartments ain't it, GE fridge or not! I wish that person sincere good luck but I predict an awful lot of regret in their future! lol
Perhaps you shouldn't assume that the ONLY reason my friend turned it down was because the appliances weren't Bosche. Willoughby is very expensive and small for what's being offered but there were many factors that went into her decision. Ultimately a non luxury spacious affordable apartment with a good commute is better than a small luxury apartment that breaks the bank. By all means the more people with low #s that turn it down gives you better odds. I wish you luck.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...p-process.html

Old 05-17-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheslucky718 View Post
Perhaps you shouldn't assume that the ONLY reason my friend turned it down was because the appliances weren't Bosche. Willoughby is very expensive and small for what's being offered but there were many factors that went into her decision. Ultimately a non luxury spacious affordable apartment with a good commute is better than a small luxury apartment that breaks the bank. By all means the more people with low #s that turn it down gives you better odds. I wish you luck.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...p-process.html
Haha, fair enough, I must have misunderstood your comment - I really thought it was just the appliances and my mind was blown cause Willoughby looks gorgeous from here! But yes, you are right - if other factors like commute etc aren't ideal or the space is tiny or the rents are higher then a person pays otherwise then that makes sense. I only looked at the 2 beds which looked really large to me. And you are quite right - all the people in the process who turn things down help the rest of us I do hope your friend finds a place that suits her better soon!

Incidentally - we had a similar experience with 260 Gold Street. MR apartments were huge but for the lottery, we were were shown a 20ft by 20ft box and that was a 2 bed! Just not a good deal.

Last edited by BritinNYC; 05-17-2022 at 09:04 AM..

Old 05-17-2022, 08:45 AM

24 posts, read 27,640 times
Quote:
You can get something notarized at your local state assembly member's office! Someone recommended this to me and it was super easy. Just walked into their district office (found on Google) in the neighborhood and someone did it quickly for me for free. I'm sure other local gov representative offices have someone working in the office who is a notary, but can always call ahead before to check.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGC74 View Post
You can go to the nearest TD Bank branch and get any document notarized for free. Just walk in.
Wow - thanks! That is amazing. UK price are around 100-200 pounds (which is like $130-$250) because I think notaries there need to be qualified lawyers. I was internally freaking out about the prospect of paying hundreds to get dozens of papers notarized! Free is a much better price

Old 05-17-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy962 View Post
You can get something notarized at your local state assembly member's office! Someone recommended this to me and it was super easy. Just walked into their district office (found on Google) in the neighborhood and someone did it quickly for me for free. I'm sure other local gov representative offices have someone working in the office who is a notary, but can always call ahead before to check.
Thanks! This is a very helpful tip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery