Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 10:53 AM

57 posts, read 57,818 times

Advertisements

Any advantage if you use one over the other? I can do both, but since my credit info was stolen a few years ago, I’ve had my credit records frozen. So I’ve send my proof of 12 months rent payments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 10:57 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,437,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_from_Brooklyn View Post
Any advantage if you use one over the other? I can do both, but since my credit info was stolen a few years ago, I’ve had my credit records frozen. So I’ve send my proof of 12 months rent payments.
No advantage either way. Whichever you prefer, for whatever reason, is fine.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:58 AM

214 posts, read 219,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_from_Brooklyn View Post
I'm with you. I'd rather send proof of rent because I've had my info exposed on the dark web, so my credit profile is currently frozen also. But I'm wondering if different developments require different things? Because I just read today that Astoria West (one I applied to) will run a "background and credit check"... so I'm wondering if I'd have to unfreeze my profile for that, if chosen.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWorker4 View Post
I'm with you. I'd rather send proof of rent because I've had my info exposed on the dark web, so my credit profile is currently frozen also. But I'm wondering if different developments require different things? Because I just read today that Astoria West (one I applied to) will run a "background and credit check"... so I'm wondering if I'd have to unfreeze my profile for that, if chosen.
I believe a couple of years ago the city started requiring that buildings give the option of a credit check or providing the 12 months of rent payments vs only allowing the credit check. This is in the 2021 handbook, I'm pretty sure they have to give you the choice.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:12 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
It occurs to me that you know your rent history is accurate, and you have a relationship with your landlord. Sometimes credit checks can have errors, those are big companies where you likely don’t know anyone there. If there serious errors in the credit check, you have to get involved to correct or explain the errors.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:26 AM

214 posts, read 219,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
I believe a couple of years ago the city started requiring that buildings give the option of a credit check or providing the 12 months of rent payments vs only allowing the credit check. This is in the 2021 handbook, I'm pretty sure they have to give you the choice.
Yeah, that makes sense, that it would be standardized across developments. I mean, I don't mind my credit being run in theory because I have really good credit, but I try to avoid any reason for having to unfreeze my profile! Hopefully 12 months proof of rent will suffice.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:30 AM

644 posts, read 733,654 times
I was wondering the same thing. I don't pay my rent directly to the landlord so a credit check would be better for me.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GdoIsh View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I don't pay my rent directly to the landlord so a credit check would be better for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWorker4 View Post
Yeah, that makes sense, that it would be standardized across developments. I mean, I don't mind my credit being run in theory because I have really good credit, but I try to avoid any reason for having to unfreeze my profile! Hopefully 12 months proof of rent will suffice.
Yeah, I think the idea is to give people options for the reasons you mention and also for those that may have negative marks on their credit or low/no credit. This way, you can choose which is simplest for you, will show you in the most positive light etc.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:30 PM

800 posts, read 729,081 times
My landlord doesn’t provide receipts (even though I’ve asked multiple times). Does proof of cashed check suffice (from my bank app)?

Old 05-23-2022, 12:38 PM

264 posts, read 312,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zee619 View Post
My landlord doesn’t provide receipts (even though I’ve asked multiple times). Does proof of cashed check suffice (from my bank app)?
Yep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: