Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2022, 10:25 AM

13 posts, read 18,998 times

Advertisements

My roommate and were asked to submit our files for 23 West St (6xxx log number). We have disability preference. We've been waiting for about two weeks now and just talked to someone from the company - files in the hundreds are still under review. From the date they get to our file it will be at least another 1-2 weeks before we know if we are even approved, then another week or so before move-in between scheduling tours and all (according to the timeline we were given - we were already supposed to be at the next step of the process given when we submitted our files). Problem is, our lease is up July 1. Has anyone been in this situation before? We're unsure at this point of our chances of approval and how to proceed from here. Do we give up and move somewhere else (don't want to move twice), or see if we can negotiate another month or two with our landlord?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 11:10 AM

74 posts, read 88,162 times
Hey! I wouldn’t rely on a July 1 move in. My app was processed on 4/29, submitted more docs the week after, signed the TIC on 5/20 and then got sent to HPD on 5/25. Im still waiting to hear back from HPD. I also a have July1st move out and feel like I’m pushing it.

If you haven’t started the process or even been submitted to HPD I wouldn’t risk it. Definitely ask for a month or two extension or what breaking the lease looks like!

Old 06-09-2022, 12:57 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Default Talk to the Landlord

If you can’t get an extension, see if you can renew your lease but with an option to cancel early that does not impose too much of a burden. Every situation is different. If you are in a Rent Regulated unit, the land lord might not care as much if you break the lease because it can be an opportunity to raise the rent for the next tenant.

There are way too many moving parts to hope you win a lottery unit, and that you win it at the most convenient time in your existing lease. There can be all sorts of delays. Also, consider you might win a great unit, sign all the paperwork and such, but circumstances with the building or unit not being ready for occupancy might mean your move in date might be in the Fall.

Old 06-09-2022, 01:11 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
I think asking for a month to two extension works with many landlords. You should ask.

Old 06-09-2022, 04:14 PM

101 posts, read 87,116 times
New here, but are roommates allowed to apply for apartments together, I thought the lottery was for families or domestic partnerships?

Old 06-09-2022, 04:24 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
A landlord might prefer a new lease to start on September 1. You can hope anyway.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:41 PM

954 posts, read 932,592 times
Your landlord can convert you to a month to month tenancy that way you just give 30 days notice to move out

Old 06-09-2022, 07:44 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylkoorb View Post
New here, but are roommates allowed to apply for apartments together, I thought the lottery was for families or domestic partnerships?
I was thinking the same thing. I think if they are registered same sex partners then yes.

Old 06-09-2022, 09:14 PM

13 posts, read 18,998 times
Thanks for advice all! Regarding the roommate - here's what the handbook regarding the regulations says:

"Household" at admission shall mean (i) a single person, or (ii) two or more
persons who:
a. are Immediate Family Members;
b. are Extended Family Members who need to live together in order to
support one another with respect to finances, child care, eldercare,
medical care, or other extenuating family circumstance, as indicated
by self-certifications explaining the family circumstances and needs;
or
c. are financially interdependent, as indicated by (i) current leases or
utility records demonstrating a shared address, or (ii) documentation,
such as bank accounts, demonstrating shared assets.

We fall under c - to be honest didn't even know this was a point of concern, as it does not say anywhere here you are required to be in a partnership or related. Maybe it won't work out for us because of this but we meet the requirements, are definitely financially interdependent and have gotten this far? We have our relationship on the application explicitly.

Last edited by kpanke; 06-09-2022 at 09:30 PM..

Old 06-09-2022, 09:31 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpanke View Post
Thanks for advice all! Regarding the roommate - here's what the handbook regarding the regulations says:

"Household" at admission shall mean (i) a single person, or (ii) two or more
persons who:
a. are Immediate Family Members;
b. are Extended Family Members who need to live together in order to
support one another with respect to finances, child care, eldercare,
medical care, or other extenuating family circumstance, as indicated
by self-certifications explaining the family circumstances and needs;
or
c. are financially interdependent, as indicated by (i) current leases or
utility records demonstrating a shared address, or (ii) documentation,
such as bank accounts, demonstrating shared assets.

We fall under c - to be honest didn't even know this was a point of concern, as it does not say anywhere here you are required to be in a partnership or related. Maybe it won't work out for us because of this but we meet the requirements, are definitely financially interdependent and have gotten this far?
You are fine, don't worry about what others say and or belive.

Latter was enacted into NYS and NYC housing laws back in days of HIV/AIDs crisis. Gays were dying in record numbers but since there wasn't any sort of legal protection for anyone else but legally married spouses, many surviving partners whose names were not on leases were simply kicked out of their homes.

Also by then NYS and NYC laws (in particular rent stabilization) only names a landlord is legally required to enter onto a lease are that of legally married spouses. By allowing persons to prove they were financially interdependent a surviving partner or whatever had rights to keep a RS apartment.

By opening things up to persons who were/are financially interdependent upon each other offers protections not just to gays and lesbians, but other non-traditional households.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery