Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 10:17 AM

336 posts, read 593,265 times

Advertisements

What do you guys do in these cases?

Let me give some scenarios.
  1. First choice is in the area where you live and you won't have to move. The second choice is far away and you will definitely have to move.
  2. Second choice is close to home and first choice is farther away. Let's say that the first choice is in the city you would prefer to live over where you are now.

The first choice job has more competition and chances of getting it might not be in your favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 10:21 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,790,853 times
If i can't get the second job to extend the start date of their offer while waiting for a decision from the first choice, I'll simply start the second job and quit if the first choice extends an offer that's more desirable.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:30 AM

336 posts, read 593,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
If i can't get the second job to extend the start date of their offer while waiting for a decision from the first choice, I'll simply start the second job and quit if the first choice extends an offer that's more desirable.
That would be quitting so soon though. I would like to still have an option to work at this second job some time in the future.

Would you be willing to move back and forth so soon? Or would you stay somewhere temporarily until the first choice says something?

Old 11-15-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
That would be quitting so soon though. I would like to still have an option to work at this second job some time in the future.

Would you be willing to move back and forth so soon? Or would you stay somewhere temporarily until the first choice says something?
To answer your question, it depends on how much better of an offer the first choice extends. I would likely be renting a place to stay at most (and I don't have a family to take care of), so moving again shouldn't be a problem.

As far as burning a bridge at the second job, if the first choice extends an offer that's too good to refuse, it's a risk I'll take.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:04 AM

7,955 posts, read 7,903,866 times
Seeing such comments is good because it can show the market clearly is picking up. There's always going to be a buyers remorse at some level or some loss aversion.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:30 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,819,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post

It is always prudent to stay at an extended-stay hotel for the first few months until things settle especially if you are having to relocated from far away.

I would put my things in storage.

If you get a relocation package, it generally is good for 1 year.

I had an ex-coworker who received $x for relocation, stayed a year, and left to return to his home where his wife was still living. He had no intention of relocating. This co-worker got a room at a local hotel for $35(?)/night. It was an arrangement he had with the hotel's owner.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:34 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,240,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
If you get a relocation package, it generally is good for 1 year.
At my wife's employer, relocation packages include a clause that they must be paid back in full if the employee leaves for another employer in under 1 year. That might be a factor for the OP, too.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:45 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,819,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
At my wife's employer, relocation packages include a clause that they must be paid back in full if the employee leaves for another employer in under 1 year. That might be a factor for the OP, too.
Right.

What I meant was that the OP doesn't have to rush to find a "permanent" place to live.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:57 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,785,465 times
Simply tell the second employer that you request further time to take care of individual matters where you are now. Once the first place replies then make your decision. If the second employer will not wait and you need a job now, you will need to get a direct timeline from employer 1 so you know how to approach it.

Do not, I repeat, do not do as 313 suggested. That is careless and you will lose out on any and all opportunity in the future to work for the second employer.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Do not, I repeat, do not do as 313 suggested. That is careless and you will lose out on any and all opportunity in the future to work for the second employer.
It's risky, but not careless.

What if no other job offers come along after these two jobs offers? What if the second job rescinds their offer if I have them waiting too long for me to start? What if a job offer from the first choice never comes? What if the job offer from the first choice, if they do extend one, doesn't come for several more weeks?

^^^I have all of these questions going through my mind. So ultimately, I will have to do down the path of least resistance for myself. Sure, what I laid out in my original posts would be a matter of give and take, but so is everything else we do in life.

And yes, I did just share what *I* would do in the OP's scenario. No one else is obligated to do what I would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search