Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 07:07 AM

10 posts, read 13,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
As you moved through process via documents and other information requested "they" would have found out your son no longer lived with you (change in household composition), and that would have been that.

Only way around this would have been to continue listing your child as part of household, but that would have opened up a huge can of worms including fraud. What would happen if your son is listed on lease making this apartment is primary residence, then later on something prompts legal action by LL (nonpayment, holdover, etc...). LL would sue everyone whose name appears on lease and was listed as being part of household financially responsible for paying rent. That's where old oft quoted phrase by lawyers comes in: "were you lying then, or are you lying now?".

Suppose in future your son wanted to apply for a lottery apartment on his own? His name would already be in system as already having one, which would prompt a decline. Further pressing matter again would open up a huge can of worms.
Hey Blessed good morning, my son is only 13. I think you misunderstood my post, please read again because my son is a minor and can't apply for any apartment at this moment champ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2022, 06:13 AM

800 posts, read 731,005 times
Guys let’s not be rude.

Maybe they thought u were trying to cheat the system. As you said, with your daughters income, u did not qualify. Your HC profile needs to be accurate and up to date prior to them reaching out to you. They get a snapshot of your profile once your log # is reached. From their perspective it seems like you added your child to qualify for higher AMI’s, and when buildings with lower AMI’s reach out, you withdraw your daughter.

Old 06-11-2022, 06:25 AM

10 posts, read 13,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zee619 View Post
Guys let’s not be rude.

Maybe they thought u were trying to cheat the system. As you said, with your daughters income, u did not qualify. Your HC profile needs to be accurate and up to date prior to them reaching out to you. They get a snapshot of your profile once your log # is reached. From their perspective it seems like you added your child to qualify for higher AMI’s, and when buildings with lower AMI’s reach out, you withdraw your daughter.
thank you for comment, with or without my daughter I do qualify for a unit. I don't know if it's an oversight or just an error, but when most people are rejected they don't do the math. Most times they assume it's their documents, I did the math and realize something was awry, after doing the math I realize the number still qualifies me. This is the reason I'm so diligent with the appeal, 1+1 must add up to 2 not just over and go to 3.

Old 06-11-2022, 09:54 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,645,707 times
Default Income Guide

Useful in determining what is income. Mistakes happen. Some households have a complex income situation, It’s good and appropriate that appeals are allowed. I would not be surprised if ten different tax preparers did the income statement for a complex family that more than one final figure would be arrived at.

https://www.nychdc.com/sites/default...me%20Guide.pdf

Old 06-11-2022, 10:02 AM

800 posts, read 731,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Henry View Post
thank you for comment, with or without my daughter I do qualify for a unit. I don't know if it's an oversight or just an error, but when most people are rejected they don't do the math. Most times they assume it's their documents, I did the math and realize something was awry, after doing the math I realize the number still qualifies me. This is the reason I'm so diligent with the appeal, 1+1 must add up to 2 not just over and go to 3.
Oh okay interesting. Well then I hope everything works out with your appeal!

Old 06-11-2022, 10:23 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Alvista II is beautiful, it's a dream building for me to live in. At the time of applying for the apartment, I had my 18 year old on the application. when I got the email about I may be eligible I was surprise. I then decided to send my information, I also let them know my 18 year old will not be living with me any longer, so her income should not be counted. they still use her income and reject me, it's sad as a community board member we have to deal with these issues. I was assuming honesty would be the best policy, they automatically rejected me then said I can't update on the site either because that also is ground for an automatic rejection. I'm now appealing because I don't think it's right to be pushed out for wanting to provide accurate updated information.
Quote:
Hey Blessed good morning, my son is only 13. I think you misunderstood my post, please read again because my son is a minor and can't apply for any apartment at this moment champ.
OP, please excuse people for not understanding because your posts were confusing. In your original post, you mentioned an 18-year-old but didn't call that person your son or your daughter. Later a poster referred to that child as your "son," probably just automatically using the male pronoun, then you said, well, your son is only 13. But that poster was clearly referring to the 18-year-old you mentioned in your original post. It would have helped if you'd been more clear.

I am always fascinated by these NYC lotteries (I love the IDEA of living in NYC but I suspect I would hate it in real life). Some of the properties look amazing, some not so much, but I think I would go nuts living in such crowded quarters (unless the soundproofing was 100% -- ha! not likely anywhere!).

I DO wish you well as it sounds like you have grounds for appeal.

Old 06-11-2022, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 571 times
Had a similar experience with this development. I applied and had not heard from them, It had been more than a year close to two. My application was selected but, I was never informed. One day I called to inquired able my application, I was told that my application chosen. I had just moved out of the neighborhood. For safety reasons. When I gave my new address, I was immediately rejected because I live out of the neighborhood. I could've lied.

Old 06-11-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positivep View Post
Had a similar experience with this development. I applied and had not heard from them, It had been more than a year close to two. My application was selected but, I was never informed. One day I called to inquired able my application, I was told that my application chosen. I had just moved out of the neighborhood. For safety reasons. When I gave my new address, I was immediately rejected because I live out of the neighborhood. I could've lied.
I am sorry you missed the notification.

Yeah sure, you could have lied. But if it came down to getting a unit you would likely have had to file paperwork to secure it. If this was detected in the process, likely the application would have been rejected for it.

If an application lists a false address and is signed and submitted the paperwork to get the unit that is lying and fraud, as likely defined in the paperwork. Typically, paperwork says an applicant that commits fraud is subject to consequences.

There seems to be provision for exceptions for persons experiencing domestic violence.

Again, it’s not much about being rejected for being honest. It’s more about being rejected because they concluded you don’t qualify at the time. The appeals process is available to review the judgment.

Old 06-14-2022, 03:22 PM

28 posts, read 24,514 times
Quote:
Blessed day champ, my income does reach the requirement, the reason for my rejection as I said is because they counted my 18 year old daughter's income that will not be living with me, which would put me over the required limit. Taking away her from the income would put me right in the qualified bracket champ, I hope you have a blessed and productive day my friend, stay well.
From what you've explained, it seems like your income alone qualifies under the AMI income bracket needed for the affordable unit. Just that for some reason, they counted your daughter's income as extra even thought she no longer lives with you (that is my understanding). In this case, you should definitely appeal and explain to the project manager what happened in detailed writing. It doesn't hurt to try, best of luck!

Old 06-14-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmnyc78 View Post
From what you've explained, it seems like your income alone qualifies under the AMI income bracket needed for the affordable unit. Just that for some reason, they counted your daughter's income as extra even thought she no longer lives with you (that is my understanding). In this case, you should definitely appeal and explain to the project manager what happened in detailed writing. It doesn't hurt to try, best of luck!
I am not certain, but I don’t think the appeal goes to the project manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery