Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 12:27 PM

526 posts, read 513,353 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's elitist to acknowledge that people paying 4k+ for apartments at market rate don't think that they will be placed with supportive housing and if they knew before moving in wouldn't be happy about it and probably wouldn't lease. MR tenants though can be just as disrespectful smoking and doing drugs while making 400k a year. If you are applying for affordable housing you should be aware that affordable housing is a need for everyone but again i'm not surprised this buildings AMI is 130% and you need to be making over 80K to live here with the affordable program and in that AMI people probably tend to have more elitist attitudes.

Obviously not everyone in supportive housing is going to be an issue and its highly needed. Is providing actual support apart of supportive housing or is it just providing housing? I live in a building with a couple people who come from a formerly homeless program who don't seem to be getting assistance other than housing.

One man is violent and repeatedly comes up to scream in the hallway, cuss out and tries to roundhouse kick and punch down my neighbors doors (which are now bent from him) who live above him because one of them has a kid and he thinks they are stomping on his ceiling so he says he wants to beat the **** out of them, but they are gone most of the day and I think the kid only lives there part time. He also comes after mine sometimes despite never engaging nor do I live above him. Management and the police do nothing. I think that most people would not want to deal with that given the choice and MR tenants have a lot more choice if they can afford to pay 4K+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 12:36 PM

544 posts, read 430,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71293kate View Post
I don't think it's elitist to acknowledge that people paying 4k+ for apartments at market rate don't think that they will be placed with supportive housing and if they knew before moving in wouldn't be happy about it and probably wouldn't lease. MR tenants though can be just as disrespectful smoking and doing drugs while making 400k a year. If you are applying for affordable housing you should be aware that affordable housing is a need for everyone but again i'm not surprised this buildings AMI is 130% and you need to be making over 80K to live here with the affordable program and in that AMI people probably tend to have more elitist attitudes.

Obviously not everyone in supportive housing is going to be an issue and its highly needed. Is providing actual support apart of supportive housing or is it just providing housing? I live in a building with a couple people who come from a formerly homeless program who don't seem to be getting assistance other than housing.

One man is violent and repeatedly comes up to scream in the hallway, cuss out and tries to roundhouse kick and punch down my neighbors doors (which are now bent from him) who live above him because one of them has a kid and he thinks they are stomping on his ceiling so he says he wants to beat the **** out of them, but they are gone most of the day and I think the kid only lives there part time. He also comes after mine sometimes despite never engaging nor do I live above him. Management and the police do nothing. I think that most people would not want to deal with that given the choice and MR tenants have a lot more choice if they can afford to pay 4K+.
You said it in a much better way but this is it. This building is 70% and 130% if I remember correctly

Housing does not do much when there are other reasons why someone is in need of supportive housing or something similar for other physical or mental health-related reasons. There are new senior supportive housing facilities coming up and those are needed just as much as any other housing or homelessness-related housing.

It's a touchy topic and you will almost always offend someone, but yes even as a lottery applicant I have the choice to make. I wouldn't prefer living with supportive housing even if that cuts down my choices, even one or two people in the mix can be enough of a nuisance. does not have to be 100%

Old 09-19-2022, 01:05 PM

6,694 posts, read 6,050,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinasb View Post
There is something that the landlord or management does known as notice to cure or quit. Most leases today have a clause about that. Even 311 calls for loud neighbor get logged into the system.

unless you are a piece of **** just wanting to disturb peoples peace most people want to live in peace, and if you mess with it too much to disturb others it is something that can be taken care of quick

But it has to be a legit nuisance, not like someones kids are making noise or neighbor is moving furniture in the middle of the day
Yes, the lease that I signed (for a different building) had a huge clause about loud music and otherwise disturbing the neighbor's peace. It basically says that you will be evicted. Although as far as supportive housing, I'm not sure if landlords are told to expect that type of behavior from the mentally ill and as such, are told not to include the peace disturbance clause.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:27 PM

962 posts, read 942,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierdenise View Post
People paying 9k a month and don’t wanna deal with these types of neighbors then you need to invest in a house period
It’s really the elitist attitude that’s rooted in nothing that makes no sense in this thread. I live around a couple of people who have supportive housing assistance and are good neighbors. How can you who can’t afford what’s on the market (not you personally but the complainers) criticize someone when you need affordable housing as well?

You clearly can’t afford to buy if you need affordable housing. They just need to be quiet and stop complaining or don’t apply at all. You don’t get to be a “beggar” and think you have any more right or say cause you throw several hundred dollars more at an overpriced apartment.

They need to come out of the bubble and get over themselves.

If they can afford whatever, either go the route where you rent off the market or purchase your own property.

Yeah they can’t do that of course lol.

Just ignore them.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71293kate View Post

It is elitist. Again, go on the market and don’t apply. You know the rules. The developer makes the choice not prospective applicants or tenants. Some of you think too highly of yourselves considering you need affordable housing relative to your income.

All of the AMIs means nothing to me when you have to apply for the lottery to find somewhere you can afford to live at in NYC.

If you don’t like the terms and conditions for something none of us are guaranteed to win, delete your account on housing connect and move on.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinasb View Post
I am participating in a housing lottery to get a place that works for my AMI, not asking for a handout. The political system is doing dumb **** to house people with severe mental challenges and other traumas who need more support than just a cheap place to live when they have ongoing mental and physical challenges that are very important. It has to be a multiple-sided approach to helping people deal with their challenges.

I am not generalizing but my close connections who have had to share housing with such cases have not been good, the recent housing of homeless people in hotels isn't a fix either, read up and do research on what percentage of that population was troublesome, did all things right by law and neighbors. It is unfortunate but its not a small percentage that is troublesome.

For people like you who have had DV and similar issues leading to homelessness, there are other issues in addition to just finding housing, there are way better resources out there to take advantage of, if you are savvy enough to be here posting you can most definitely find enough resources to take advantage of and progress forward.

Going back to my first message, you may not like hearing this but if I am paying 9k I don't want the off chance to deal with the issues aforementioned.
You’re not paying $9,000 in anything so just stop. Then why are you here? Please get on with that.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:54 PM

93 posts, read 75,237 times
Love the drama. Much popcorn.

Also beggars can be choosers. Many of you here have withdrew apps because of various issues. Neighborhood too ****, room too small, not "luxury" enough. That's cool, everyone has a degree of tolerance of what they can shell out vs what parameters they can get. Likewise, if they find out that they live above a drug clinic, or close to a floor that houses the homeless, they can withdraw. No biggie, there's always something better.

Love the screaming of "elitism" tho. Keep going with that.

Old 09-19-2022, 02:03 PM

6,694 posts, read 6,050,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
It is elitist. Again, go on the market and don’t apply. You know the rules. The developer makes the choice not prospective applicants or tenants. Some of you think too highly of yourselves considering you need affordable housing relative to your income.

All of the AMIs means nothing to me when you have to apply for the lottery to find somewhere you can afford to live at in NYC.

If you don’t like the terms and conditions for something none of us are guaranteed to win, delete your account on housing connect and move on.
With all due respect, the way that I see it is that supportive housing is mainly for people with mental health problems which aren’t being addressed appropriately by the city. Someone posted here about getting their door kicked in by a neighbor with such problems. That’s the kind of situation I’d rather avoid. It’s true that some people here may think of themselves as elitist but others (like me) are more concerned about safety and peace of mind. I’ve already done my time living next to drug addicts and people who have no respect for peace or cleanliness.

Needless to say (to get back to the topic) I really don’t think nor have I read that this lottery will allocate units to supportive housing.

Old 09-19-2022, 02:24 PM

526 posts, read 513,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post

I said a fact that many well off people think they can insulate themselves from poor people and would not anticipate that if they were paying market rate prices they would have to deal with the issues. Its an illusion of course but its one that is package beautifully and presented to and sold as incentive to spend a ton of money on an apartment and if that illusion was shattered people would not pay the price. Some of of the buildings have 1.5+ million dollar condos and all the bells and whistles to tout peace and safety, even have on site wellness gurus and if the market rate tenants found out that wasn't the case they would throw a fit. The thought behind that process definitely elitist. But its not elitist for me to state that that belief is out there and that those with money control the system and they wouldn't hesitate to influence it if they knew in advance or were given another option.

I have not said I personally am upset about there being supportive housing but that I thought market rate tenants would have and issue with it and that I (personally) have had a bad experience with it. Only one or two people can ruin things so I wish there was corrective action and ACTUAL support to provide aid when there are serious issues. Most people in supportive housing and the lottery are great tenants and out there doing good for society.

It's just as elitist to say well you can't afford to buy a house so suck it up you deserve to live in an unsafe environment where your life is being threatened. All people regardless of how they get in should have access to affordable, safe, peaceful and clean housing and if other tenants are taking that away from others regardless of what method they moved in with there should be consequences.

Old 09-19-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
With all due respect, the way that I see it is that supportive housing is mainly for people with mental health problems which aren’t being addressed appropriately by the city. Someone posted here about getting their door kicked in by a neighbor with such problems. That’s the kind of situation I’d rather avoid. It’s true that some people here may think of themselves as elitist but others (like me) are more concerned about safety and peace of mind. I’ve already done my time living next to drug addicts and people who have no respect for peace or cleanliness.

Needless to say (to get back to the topic) I really don’t think nor have I read that this lottery will allocate units to supportive housing.
That is not what supportive housing is about. Supportive housing does not only deal with mentally ill people. This is how ill informed many of you are. This is also a symptom of what happens when you are ignorant to what social services does. Goodness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery