Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2022, 12:25 AM

7 posts, read 4,476 times

Advertisements

So around this time last year I applied to a now pretty infamous building in Brooklyn, and I had 0 hopes to be picked due to my situation as a full time student. Fast forward to last month, I got picked with a 4XX log number and I was pretty excited until I saw the building on the news (not a good thing). Anyway, my need to move out from my current apartment superseded what had happened and I sent in all my documents to the leasing agents in person around 3 weeks ago. Now my situation is weird because I’m a student veteran which means I get my tuition paid in full thanks to the G.I. Bill and I get BAH which is money for housing. Since I get my rent paid at the 100% rate from the VA, I am very fortunate I don’t have to work. Now, I think someone in the office or maybe me, goofed up because my application was rejected. The reason for rejection was due to “applicant being a full-time student”, which would be understandable except in the documents I had to fill out in my application there was an exception which said “Households made up of full time students that are income eligible AND at least one (1) student participate in a program receiving assistance under the Job Training Partnership Act, WorkforceInvestment Act, or under other similar, federal, state or local laws is considered eligible”. That last part (I would HOPE) makes me eligible and in my initial application I provided proof of my college tuition being paid for PLUS my rent by the G.I. Bill. I appealed the denial but I wanted to ask if anyone has gone through something similar as a student veteran?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 12:24 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,628,911 times
Default VA or Member of Congress?

I don’t have an answer for you. However, you might ask the VA or your member of Congress about this. Perhaps that have fielded the question before. Also, I suppose NYC government (and state) has a Vets Affairs office or some such. Good luck. Thanks for the service.

Old 07-01-2022, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
I don’t have an answer for you. However, you might ask the VA or your member of Congress about this. Perhaps that have fielded the question before. Also, I suppose NYC government (and state) has a Vets Affairs office or some such. Good luck. Thanks for the service.
Thanks! I recently got a call back from the development saying they pushed my application through after I appealed and my documents are being sent to HPD so I’m hoping I get accepted. I don’t know why it’s such a hassle for full time students to get affordable housing.

Old 07-01-2022, 01:15 AM

333 posts, read 255,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegbop View Post
So around this time last year I applied to a now pretty infamous building in Brooklyn, and I had 0 hopes to be picked due to my situation as a full time student. Fast forward to last month, I got picked with a 4XX log number and I was pretty excited until I saw the building on the news (not a good thing). Anyway, my need to move out from my current apartment superseded what had happened and I sent in all my documents to the leasing agents in person around 3 weeks ago. Now my situation is weird because I’m a student veteran which means I get my tuition paid in full thanks to the G.I. Bill and I get BAH which is money for housing. Since I get my rent paid at the 100% rate from the VA, I am very fortunate I don’t have to work. Now, I think someone in the office or maybe me, goofed up because my application was rejected. The reason for rejection was due to “applicant being a full-time student”, which would be understandable except in the documents I had to fill out in my application there was an exception which said “Households made up of full time students that are income eligible AND at least one (1) student participate in a program receiving assistance under the Job Training Partnership Act, WorkforceInvestment Act, or under other similar, federal, state or local laws is considered eligible”. That last part (I would HOPE) makes me eligible and in my initial application I provided proof of my college tuition being paid for PLUS my rent by the G.I. Bill. I appealed the denial but I wanted to ask if anyone has gone through something similar as a student veteran?
Oh wow the military pays your rent? Is that standard for every vet?

Old 07-01-2022, 01:47 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegbop View Post
Thanks! I recently got a call back from the development saying they pushed my application through after I appealed and my documents are being sent to HPD so I’m hoping I get accepted. I don’t know why it’s such a hassle for full time students to get affordable housing.
Because most full time students are not also working or otherwise earning significant income to cover rent. That is what any LL cares about in long run.

Yes, full time college students get market rate apartments all the time, but that is with usually a parent or someone else acting as guarantor.

There are FT students carrying 12-16 credits per semester and also clock 40 hours per week of work. But you've got to be rather exceptional to keep that up for four years, and hold a GPA at or > 3.0/2.5.

While city forces LLs to bend over backwards in accepting applicants for these lottery "affordable" or "low income" units, last thing anyone wants is for people to get in that obviously (at least on paper) will have issues paying rent on time. Since these are rent regulated units once lease is signed a LL is essentially stuck with tenants as getting them out for even valid reasons is difficult long and expensive process.

If a program gets a reputation for saddling LLs with bad tenants, many won't bother.

Old 07-01-2022, 12:22 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,628,911 times
I think the concept is that full time students have lower income because they might not be working much or at all. If not for school, some might have high incomes. But once they get into an affordable housing unit they might never leave it, even if their income goes way up. Also, perhaps the concept is students should rely on their schools to get them housing. The City does not think it a high priority for the City to provide student housing when schools do some of that already and perhaps should do more. There is nowhere near enough affordable housing and so policies are made to try and ration the supply to the population.

Happy July 4!

Old 07-01-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevie123 View Post
Oh wow the military pays your rent? Is that standard for every vet?
From my knowledge, the military pays your rent if you are a student using your G.I. Bill. The amount you get paid varies depending on where you live and if you’re a ft vs pt student (full time, non-remote students get paid more)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: