Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 12:37 PM

9 posts, read 8,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
The question should be re-stated, Are all StuyTown lottery apartments rent-stabilized indefinitely?

The StuyTown lottery is unique in many ways as a result of a long history which includes lawsuits, settlements, agreements, and so on. This particular lottery if different.

Whatever might be posted here, potential tenants at StuyTown would be benefit by asking management, Are all StuyTown lottery apartments rent-stabilized indefinitely? And, getting shown in writing what the answer is.
Sorry I’m new here and I don’t know how to edit a thread title after it’s been posted. I’d be happy to do it if you provide some guidance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 01:11 PM

57 posts, read 58,592 times
Some are stabilized for 35 years. Others may vary.

Old 06-18-2022, 01:24 PM

31,948 posts, read 27,074,534 times
There are several flavors of "affordable" or "low income" lottery apartments. How long they are rent regulated falls to what program they were created under and what rules applied at that time. Generally units are RS until tax abatement period expires. By law leases are supposed to inform tenants if their building received tax abatement, when it will end, and what that means for rent regulated units.

https://hcr.ny.gov/system/files/docu...he%20apartment.

421-A used to be something like 25 years, but then it was changed to 35 or maybe a bit longer under BdeB.

Then you have units that are "permanently" affordable (something new, also from BdeB's time), meaning units never come out of RS long as that scheme exists.

STPCV is whole other ball of wax:

https://www.ibo.nyc.ny.us/iboreports...ct%20of%202015.

As to what happens when tax abatement ends, generally by law current tenant is protected and unit remains under that scheme until vacated. Once that happens any new tenant would be market rate.

This all presumes there will not be any changes to 2019 rent laws such as reinstatement of luxury decontrol.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:27 PM

16 posts, read 16,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccyy View Post
Hi all!

My husband and I have just been offered a 1BR in Stuyvesant town. We’re trying to decide if we should accept the offer. I was doing some research on rent stabilization at Stuytown and I found out that many of the rent stabilized apartments were set to be de-regulated due to the expiration of the J-51 tax abatement. Does this apply to lottery apartments? Does anybody have more knowledge on rent stabilization at Stuytown?

We’re currently in a nice apartment with a decent landlord and we truly hate moving. If we move, we want to make sure we can live there for a really long time. Thank you!

Hi niccyy,

I was wondering if you accepted the offer, and if the lease/contract says its rent stabilize. I am also applying in stuytown, and just submitted my req. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery