Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2022, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,995 times

Advertisements

I’ve been on a Mitchell Lama waitlist since 2009 and finally got called for the whole shabang at the end of last year. They took my forms, took my money, came for a home visit. Didn’t hear from them for MONTHS and then lo and behold the same building management called a relative of mine for the exact size apartment as me. My relative told the management person (I’ll call her Jamie) that they do not need the apartment anymore, but that I went through the whole process and they haven’t contacted me, it had been 6 months at this point. So Jamie finally emails me and say I have to resubmit pay stubs and forms. Fine, did that.

It’s been two months since that and I didn’t hear back. Lo and behold they call my relative AGAIN saying “ we have many studio apartments available if you don’t want it you have to let us know”. Same story, my relative tells them that I went through the process, submitted forms twice, and STILL haven’t heard back, it’s been 9 months. They made me resubmit forms a third time this week because the last form I had was “old” and to resubmit two more paystubs so they can send it to HPD. Jamie then emails me claiming I have to physically go to their office to fill it out because it’s “not printing on legal size paper” (mind you, she was replying from an iPhone at 8pm so I highly doubt she was actually in the office trying to print anything). I magically had legal size paper, fill it out, scan it in legal size and send it back. She said she’d get back to me to make sure it works, didn’t email me today (of course), and also did not respond to my email.

Is anyone else experiencing like this? They took my $300 and have been giving me the run around for almost 10 months now. Should I contact HPD? I’m severely frustrated.

Last edited by daizy85; 06-23-2022 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 05:14 AM

7 posts, read 5,964 times
you had to pay 3 times?? that doesn't sound right.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:36 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times
Go physically to the office and ask Jamie what is going on.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:01 AM

87 posts, read 119,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daizy85 View Post
I’ve been on a Mitchell Lama waitlist since 2009 and finally got called for the whole shabang at the end of last year. They took my forms, took my money, came for a home visit. Didn’t hear from them for MONTHS and then lo and behold the same building management called a relative of mine for the exact size apartment as me. My relative told the management person (I’ll call her Jamie) that they do not need the apartment anymore, but that I went through the whole process and they haven’t contacted me, it had been 6 months at this point. So Jamie finally emails me and say I have to resubmit pay stubs and forms. Fine, did that.

It’s been two months since that and I didn’t hear back. Lo and behold they call my relative AGAIN saying “ we have many studio apartments available if you don’t want it you have to let us know”. Same story, my relative tells them that I went through the process, submitted forms twice, and STILL haven’t heard back, it’s been 9 months. They made me resubmit forms a third time this week because the last form I had was “old” and to resubmit two more paystubs so they can send it to HPD. Jamie then emails me claiming I have to physically go to their office to fill it out because it’s “not printing on legal size paper” (mind you, she was replying from an iPhone at 8pm so I highly doubt she was actually in the office trying to print anything). I magically had legal size paper, fill it out, scan it in legal size and send it back. She said she’d get back to me to make sure it works, didn’t email me today (of course), and also did not respond to my email.

Is anyone else experiencing like this? They took my $300 and have been giving me the run around for almost 10 months now. Should I contact HPD? I’m severely frustrated.
Did they offer you a specific apartment? They shouldn't take any money from you until they've offered -- and you've accepted -- an apartment. Once that happens, then they do a credit check and a home visit, which costs more than $300. So I'm unsure why they took that amount. And if they offered you an apartment, is that same apartment still available 10 months later?

When I went through this with a Mitchell Lama, I had to physically go to the office to submit and sign all the paperwork (and that was during the height of the pandemic). People who didn't want to go into the office due to the pandemic were allowed to put their applications on hold. Maybe your application was put on hold.

At this point, I would definitely go to the management office and park yourself there until Jamie answers all your questions.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:53 AM

345 posts, read 853,245 times
I would contact HPD.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:06 AM

138 posts, read 163,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Go physically to the office and ask Jamie what is going on.
Yeah definitely go in person to sort it out

Old 06-26-2022, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,995 times
No I only paid the first time before they did the home visit but had to fill out forms and do paystub submission 3x

Old 06-26-2022, 06:40 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,631,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariez4490 View Post
Yeah definitely go in person to sort it out
Check and see first if and when people are in the office. Ask to schedule an appointment in the office. Such a request should get some attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery