Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2022, 09:50 AM

521 posts, read 505,164 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am posting because I got a log number under 50 and I don't know what to do with my current lease. It ends July 31st with one month possibility to extend if my roommate agrees but I haven't even been asked to certify yet on the lottery apartment, I have the option to stay with family or sublease and be in the city but I don't know if my odds are worth the risk and moving twice. there are 15 apartments available 14 of which I qualify for. Thoughts? Anyone in similar situations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 10:17 AM

4,767 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Congrats on getting such a great number! In general, this is not a short process, and it has many twists and turns, and you will be kept in the dark for much/all of it.

A number of factors go into when and if you will be called to submit documents. In fact, that is my first question: Have you been asked to submit documents?

Even if you have been, I would say the odds are not good that you will be processed in time for July 31. Here are the factors that will affect your situation:

Does this lottery have a community preference? If so, are you currently living in the same community board as the building? If the answer to both these questions is yes, you will experience priority processing—yay! This is a great situation to be in. Please see below for a caveat!

If this lottery has a community preference but you are not in the community board, then all the people in the CB will be processed ahead of you for 50% of the units. That means that although you will be called at some point, because your log number is so low, it's hard to predict when.

If this lottery does not have a community preference, you are in good shape with your low log number.

Another unknown factor is the completion of the building, assuming it's under construction. Even if you are processed successfully, you cannot move in until the building has a certificate of occupancy. Sometimes this takes months. To find out some hints, you can look up the address on the department of buildings website and attempt to suss out which tasks remain to be done. (It's not really easy unless you're in the construction business.)

If you are lucky, the building will have a C of O already.

Here's where you can plug in the address:https://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/bispi00.jsp

Caveat: If you do have community preference, you must be within the CB both for when you're selected and when you're processed. So if you need to move in temporarily with family or friends, you should try to stay within the CB so that you don't have to lie about your address. Any lying will get you disqualified, or worse.

Best of luck!!

Old 07-01-2022, 10:34 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,437,407 times
You probably have a very good shot but as macnyc said the process can be very long. It is unlikely that the move-out/move-in will line up perfectly with your current lease, be as prepared as you can, you will likely have to renew your current lease.

Steps you should take ASAP:

Contact your landlord/management company and get the official policy in writing about early termination of your lease, in the event you have to renew. How much notice do you need to give? Will there be a fee? Will you lose your deposit? Is there any flexibility if you help find another tenant to take over the lease?

If you can, start saving to possibly have to pay rent at both apartments for at least 1 month or a lease termination fee etc.

It's a hot rental market right now so your landlord might more more willing to let you out than you expect when you do sign a lease on the new place bc it might allow them to raise the rent on a new tenant.

Good luck!

Old 07-01-2022, 01:44 PM

521 posts, read 505,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Congrats on getting such a great number! In general, this is not a short process, and it has many twists and turns, and you will be kept in the dark for much/all of it.

A number of factors go into when and if you will be called to submit documents. In fact, that is my first question: Have you been asked to submit documents?

Even if you have been, I would say the odds are not good that you will be processed in time for July 31. Here are the factors that will affect your situation:

Does this lottery have a community preference? If so, are you currently living in the same community board as the building? If the answer to both these questions is yes, you will experience priority processing—yay! This is a great situation to be in. Please see below for a caveat!

If this lottery has a community preference but you are not in the community board, then all the people in the CB will be processed ahead of you for 50% of the units. That means that although you will be called at some point, because your log number is so low, it's hard to predict when.

If this lottery does not have a community preference, you are in good shape with your low log number.

Another unknown factor is the completion of the building, assuming it's under construction. Even if you are processed successfully, you cannot move in until the building has a certificate of occupancy. Sometimes this takes months. To find out some hints, you can look up the address on the department of buildings website and attempt to suss out which tasks remain to be done. (It's not really easy unless you're in the construction business.)

If you are lucky, the building will have a C of O already.

Here's where you can plug in the address:https://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/bispi00.jsp

Caveat: If you do have community preference, you must be within the CB both for when you're selected and when you're processed. So if you need to move in temporarily with family or friends, you should try to stay within the CB so that you don't have to lie about your address. Any lying will get you disqualified, or worse.

Best of luck!!
Thank you this is so so helpful! Unfortunately the building doesn't yet and it also has a unpaid Class 1 violation with no hearing date which is the largest possible offence so it seems things are on hold. I've walked by and the building looks like it just needs appliances and construction junk cleaned up but according to this it looks like there are no elevator records either. Really not looking good for that timeline. I do have CB but it looks like that isn't a requirement. I just spoke with my roommate and she is not cool with signing a renewal with me if I might move out and we'd need a sublet which is frustrating for me but I get. If its a month or two after my lease end I could handle that but more than that is pushing things. I put the link below as you likely know more than I do but i'd imagine it is looking like a longer timeline unfortunately.

https://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/P...O+&requestid=0

Old 07-01-2022, 02:29 PM

4,767 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Wow, that is a big red violation!!! I've never seen one of those before. I have no idea what it means!

So as far as I can tell, the lottery for that building did not have a community preference, so your log low number puts you in a good position. Honestly, if I were you, I would put my stuff in storage and bunk with a friend and family member within the five boroughs.

However, you could get lucky and have a sweetheart for a landlord. Do as linamonroll suggests, above, and contact your landlord and scope out the situation. He may be willing to let you go month to month, but of course you have a roommate to consider also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery