Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 01:14 PM

125 posts, read 135,493 times

Advertisements

Hey, I just have a question, how long does it usually take for HC to contact you back after you submitted docs & signed the paperwork. What was your experience? How long did your whole process take from the time they contacted you, to actually signing the lease & moving in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 08:27 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,437,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycgirl91 View Post
Hey, I just have a question, how long does it usually take for HC to contact you back after you submitted docs & signed the paperwork. What was your experience? How long did your whole process take from the time they contacted you, to actually signing the lease & moving in?
The whole process can take several months, sometimes as fast as ~1 month sometimes upwards of 6 months. It depends on so many factors including your situation, the agency, the building management, whether the building is completed or delayed, whether you have to appeal at any stage (not uncommon) etc. etc.

For my current apartment, I applied in May 2018, got my number (3xx) in October 2018, was contacted for docs in November 2018, was fully approved in May 2019, signed a lease in June 2019 and was given keys on the spot.

Edited to add: My file was ready to go to the city in Feb 2019 but the building was not completed causing the extra delay plus then when it was done, I had to resubmit most docs due to them then being out of date.

Last edited by linamonroll; 07-02-2022 at 08:42 PM..

Old 07-02-2022, 08:34 PM

18 posts, read 33,822 times
I was contacted mid June to submit documents. Then I spent an entire day notarizing and gathering more paperwork they needed. I qualified for a 1 bedroom at certain rent. Last week I got an email to schedule to see the apartment. Loved it. She submitted my documents to third party which they needed more clarification on income. I responded quickly and now waiting for third party approval from city I guess. The building is already constructed and occupied so Im taking it may be sooner rather than later. Hoping to get an approval. Nervous. The process i would imagine for new construction can take months after they contact you.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitentertainment View Post
I was contacted mid June to submit documents. Then I spent an entire day notarizing and gathering more paperwork they needed. I qualified for a 1 bedroom at certain rent. Last week I got an email to schedule to see the apartment. Loved it. She submitted my documents to third party which they needed more clarification on income. I responded quickly and now waiting for third party approval from city I guess. The building is already constructed and occupied so Im taking it may be sooner rather than later. Hoping to get an approval. Nervous. The process i would imagine for new construction can take months after they contact you.
Hey I was also contacted end of may to submit docs but I haven’t heard anything back yet. I called them and they told me that they’re processing the lower log numbers first. That’s why I was wondering how long is it going to take. Also I have CB preference, log 4xxx and the building is completed and people have started moving in since June. I just hope I get contacted during this month, I just want my application to move forward to the next step so I can move, I’m so tired of all this waiting around.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
The whole process can take several months, sometimes as fast as ~1 month sometimes upwards of 6 months. It depends on so many factors including your situation, the agency, the building management, whether the building is completed or delayed, whether you have to appeal at any stage (not uncommon) etc. etc.

For my current apartment, I applied in May 2018, got my number (3xx) in October 2018, was contacted for docs in November 2018, was fully approved in May 2019, signed a lease in June 2019 and was given keys on the spot.

Edited to add: My file was ready to go to the city in Feb 2019 but the building was not completed causing the extra delay plus then when it was done, I had to resubmit most docs due to them then being out of date.
Hey so I have a feeling mine will take months. I was contacted end of may to submit docs and I still haven’t heard anything back yet. I’m tired of waiting but I know it will be worth it in the end.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:26 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,437,407 times
Quote:
Hey so I have a feeling mine will take months. I was contacted end of may to submit docs and I still haven’t heard anything back yet. I’m tired of waiting but I know it will be worth it in the end.
100% worth it but it is stressful to wait that long. And, you really have to keep your income situation stable going through the process which can be hard. Good luck!

Old 07-02-2022, 10:40 PM

18 posts, read 33,822 times
Quote:
Hey I was also contacted end of may to submit docs but I haven’t heard anything back yet. I called them and they told me that they’re processing the lower log numbers first. That’s why I was wondering how long is it going to take. Also I have CB preference, log 4xxx and the building is completed and people have started moving in since June. I just hope I get contacted during this month, I just want my application to move forward to the next step so I can move, I’m so tired of all this waiting around.
Sending good vibes. I’m in the same boat.

Old 07-03-2022, 04:11 AM

57 posts, read 57,818 times
It’s a lottery. Even if you’ve been contacted and you’ve submitted documents you might still be waiting months for an answer. Until you’ve signed a lease and have keys in hand I wouldn’t be measuring the curtains.

Old 07-03-2022, 07:40 AM

828 posts, read 766,714 times
I was contacted for a mini-lottery on May 5th. I submitted docs immediately and had an interview a month later. Now I'm in a black hole of silence. Nothing, and mini-lotteries are supposed to be relatively quick.

Bottom line: the process could take anywhere from weeks to months, or even years. Patience and persistence is the key.

Good luck!

Old 07-03-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC1999 View Post
I was contacted for a mini-lottery on May 5th. I submitted docs immediately and had an interview a month later. Now I'm in a black hole of silence. Nothing, and mini-lotteries are supposed to be relatively quick.

Bottom line: the process could take anywhere from weeks to months, or even years. Patience and persistence is the key.

Good luck!
I doubt it will take years. Maybe months but not years. I submitted docs about a month ago and the lady did tell me that the reviewing process may take 8-10 weeks so I should hear back from them soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery