Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 02:44 PM

147 posts, read 164,540 times

Advertisements

So I just learned from my sister who used to work with housing lotteries back in 2019. She said the log numbers are completely random. How it works is basically, once an application is received, it is manually entered into the system by an agent. So once all the paper and online applications are submitted, it all boils down to whichever agent enters/accepts the info first. If 2 agents are at a computer and they come across an applicant, whoever presses enter first, gets log #1 then the other gets log #2 and so on and so forth. So I guess it makes sense now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 02:47 PM

644 posts, read 734,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMocha0608 View Post
So I just learned from my sister who used to work with housing lotteries back in 2019. She said the log numbers are completely random. How it works is basically, once an application is received, it is manually entered into the system by an agent. So once all the paper and online applications are submitted, it all boils down to whichever agent enters/accepts the info first. If 2 agents are at a computer and they come across an applicant, whoever presses enter first, gets log #1 then the other gets log #2 and so on and so forth. So I guess it makes sense now.
So you are referring to how it's determined which agents work on which cases? cause log numbers come all at once

Old 07-20-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayCat1995 View Post
So you are referring to how it's determined which agents work on which cases? cause log numbers come all at once
Yes, so they don’t release log numbers to the public until all applications have been entered. She said they usually hire like 20+ interns to do the counting/inputs and then once everything is done the logs are dropped.

Old 07-20-2022, 02:54 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,396,164 times
For some reason I don't understand this..they press enter for each and every applicant they get? and that is how the log numbers are assigned?

Old 07-20-2022, 02:55 PM

6,682 posts, read 6,026,463 times
Quote:
Yes, so they don’t release log numbers to the public until all applications have been entered. She said they usually hire like 20+ interns to do the counting/inputs and then once everything is done the logs are dropped.
That’s probably for paper based applications. All other electronically submitted applications get generated log numbers at the same time.

Old 07-20-2022, 02:57 PM

For paper I cant imagine how they do it because I have friends who have gotten high log numbers via paper applications...do they input the paper applications online once they get them and then randomize all the applications? thats they only fair way I could see it working with paper

Old 07-20-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
For paper I cant imagine how they do it because I have friends who have gotten high log numbers via paper applications...do they input the paper applications online once they get them and then randomize all the applications? thats they only fair way I could see it working with paper
For everyone to get a fair chance, it has to be processed after all applications are in I’m assuming. She said it doesn’t matter when you apply because everything has to be in the system. So maybe that’s why we have such long wait times after the lottery ends?

Old 07-20-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
For everyone to get a fair chance, it has to be processed after all applications are in I’m assuming. She said it doesn’t matter when you apply because everything has to be in the system. So maybe that’s why we have such long wait times after the lottery ends?
Yeah I knew that part of the reason why we have to wait for the log #s to come out were so they could allow at least 7 days from when the lottery ends to receive the last paper applications. After 7 days they probably start putting them into the system and stuff .

Not going to lie was hoping when we applied would count for something, I guess its pure luck at this point

Old 07-20-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Yeah I knew that part of the reason why we have to wait for the log #s to come out were so they could allow at least 7 days from when the lottery ends to receive the last paper applications. After 7 days they probably start putting them into the system and stuff .

Not going to lie was hoping when we applied would count for something, I guess its pure luck at this point
I was hoping it counted for something too but w her explanation I completely understand why it doesn’t matter now. For 1111 Foster Ave, I got log #67x and I applied at 12:00 am when it dropped. Someone else got log 67x and he told me he applied same day at 8 am. At this point I think it really is random and I guess subject to whenever an agent goes over our submission.

Old 07-20-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I was hoping it counted for something too but w her explanation I completely understand why it doesn’t matter now. For 1111 Foster Ave, I got log #67x and I applied at 12:00 am when it dropped. Someone else got log 67x and he told me he applied same day at 8 am. At this point I think it really is random and I guess subject to whenever an agent goes over our submission.
An agent goes over every online submission?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery