Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 02:10 PM

203 posts, read 263,458 times

Advertisements

I suggest calling 311 and seeing what your options are for filing a complaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 02:33 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,863,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynDee View Post
Hello All,

Oh my i am sandwiched between two other affordable housing units
i have no use of my closets , cabinets stink the whole apartment is unbearable
bedroom is basically unlivable , one neighbor is cooking commercially 24/7 the other one is cooking drugs i believe and this management does not care been a few years .
I don't know what to do any advice ?
just a disaster and terribly sad .

Thanks All
In my last building, I was unfortunately next to someone who not only smoked consistently but blasted his music until all hours of the night into the morning, he was a nuisance to everyone on my floor but I suffered the most as I was right next to him. Abridged version (keep in mind, management knew all this, agreed with me but was stuck)I emailed the director of compliance, he ignored my email. Things progressed the same, a year later, I called HPD discussed my situation and reiterated everything discussed in a lengthy email to them - from the day I moved in and the lack of action. The worse part was seeing active listings for apts in my building, yet me who lived there could not internally transfer.

Anyways, that did the trick and very next morning, received an email from the Director of Compliance offering to move me.

Keep a list of every conversation with management, 311 etc. call HPD and follow up with email to them. Let them know the lack of action on management’s part.

Did you ever ask about transferring internally?

Old 07-25-2022, 02:51 PM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
In my last building, I was unfortunately next to someone who not only smoked consistently but blasted his music until all hours of the night into the morning, he was a nuisance to everyone on my floor but I suffered the most as I was right next to him. Abridged version (keep in mind, management knew all this, agreed with me but was stuck)I emailed the director of compliance, he ignored my email. Things progressed the same, a year later, I called HPD discussed my situation and reiterated everything discussed in a lengthy email to them - from the day I moved in and the lack of action. The worse part was seeing active listings for apts in my building, yet me who lived there could not internally transfer.

Anyways, that did the trick and very next morning, received an email from the Director of Compliance offering to move me.

Keep a list of every conversation with management, 311 etc. call HPD and follow up with email to them. Let them know the lack of action on management’s part.

Did you ever ask about transferring internally?
I knew you’d comment on this thread . Hope the new place is treating you fantastic!!

Old 07-25-2022, 02:54 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,863,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I knew you’d comment on this thread . Hope the new place is treating you fantastic!!
Hit the lottery, hopefully it stays that way..

Old 07-25-2022, 05:31 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,185,188 times
Sometimes that burning rubber smell is from one of the heat in the microwave heating pads. That happened in my building and yes it does stink.

This is one reason why I miss the old telephone booth where a call could be placed anonymously. Do you maybe have someone like a social worker who can place a call for a spot inspection? Although I'm not sure that can be done because usually inspections like a town inspection require a notice to the landlord before the inspection.

Please report them it's not healthy for you to live in a situation like that. You don't know if they could cause a fire or get the building blown up.

If you have a job to go to you can call from there while at work. This way no one in your building will know it's you who called because the call isn't being placed from your apartment with your phone number. Or maybe if there is a fire alarm you could pull the switch on then run like hell into your apartment and then run out when hear everyone else run out to make them think you have no clue what is going on or where the supposed fire is. I hope I am giving you some ideas that will protect you from anyone knowing it's you alerting the fire dept. to come to your building.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:41 PM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Sometimes that burning rubber smell is from one of the heat in the microwave heating pads. That happened in my building and yes it does stink.
Gosh I hope that’s all it is. I remember quite a few years ago, someone was cooking drugs and burned down the entire floor of a building in Harlem. Of course luxury buildings of today are fireproof but who wants to put up with the uncertainty and anxiety? I understand why the OP wants out!

But I doubt it’s just a burning pad because the person - if they had any sense, would’ve already taken it out as no one likes that smell.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:40 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,642,464 times
Please do not pull false fire alarms.

Old 07-25-2022, 11:14 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
i wanna kno what building it is, so we all don't move in that sh...

Old 07-25-2022, 11:58 PM

42 posts, read 44,860 times
I want to know too!

Old 07-26-2022, 08:23 AM

644 posts, read 735,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post

This is one reason why I miss the old telephone booth where a call could be placed anonymously. Do you maybe have someone like a social worker who can place a call for a spot inspection? Although I'm not sure that can be done because usually inspections like a town inspection require a notice to the landlord before the inspection.

Please report them it's not healthy for you to live in a situation like that. You don't know if they could cause a fire or get the building blown up.

If you have a job to go to you can call from there while at work. This way no one in your building will know it's you who called because the call isn't being placed from your apartment with your phone number. Or maybe if there is a fire alarm you could pull the switch on then run like hell into your apartment and then run out when hear everyone else run out to make them think you have no clue what is going on or where the supposed fire is. I hope I am giving you some ideas that will protect you from anyone knowing it's you alerting the fire dept. to come to your building.
I think you can call anonymously from a Link NYC, which it what replaced telephone booths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: