Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 10:09 AM

8 posts, read 15,442 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been following this forum for awhile since I started the housing lottery process and I had a lot of questions. I luckily got to tour a studio unit in a brand new LIC building and told them I want to move forward.

The issue is, I applied as a single person household with my annual income, but I've updated my housing connect profile to include my SO who is currently still a graduate student and wont have an income for the next couple of months. Effectively even with two people we should still qualify for the same unit and income requirements.

However, the project manager I've been emailing who is handling my paperwork is saying that our file will not qualify together because we do not have any proof of interdependency like a shared lease or bank account. But she also said its possible to add someone to the lease later on with managements approval.

My SO's current lease ends in September, while the housing lottery unit won't get occupied until September anyway (occupancy certification issues). My question is, is it safe for us to both live in the apartment before I get to add her to the lease? I don't want to get in trouble and be disqualified for future lotteries, especially since we'd like to move into a 1 (or 2) bedroom rent stabilized unit if one opens up in the same building in the future.

Anyone have any advice or been through a similar situation? I'm okay if I'm the only one on the lease, but I'd like to make sure her living with me isn't a direct violation of any lottery specific rules. I also haven't received the lease so it's possible this will be addressed somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 10:13 AM

4,766 posts, read 6,555,721 times
I would recommend you take the apartment on your own and wait six months to a year before moving your SO in.

Doing so before that time could expose you to a fraud accusation that you "hid" another occupant.

Old 07-25-2022, 10:28 AM

125 posts, read 135,493 times
Hi, you’re suppose to add whoever’s living with you to your application. You can’t just sneak someone in that’s fraud and you could get evicted for that. You should speak to the management of your building and ask them if they can add your partner to your lease. Do everything the legit way because these HC apartments are a blessing and you don’t want to risk losing it over nonsense.

Old 07-25-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I would recommend you take the apartment on your own and wait six months to a year before moving your SO in.

Doing so before that time could expose you to a fraud accusation that you "hid" another occupant.
Yeah I figured this might be the best move. Even while waiting for that time its likely she will be staying over a lot anyway so I want her to be included in the lease as soon as possible.

Old 07-25-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycgirl91 View Post
Hi, you’re suppose to add whoever’s living with you to your application. You can’t just sneak someone in that’s fraud and you could get evicted for that. You should speak to the management of your building and ask them if they can add your partner to your lease. Do everything the legit way because these HC apartments are a blessing and you don’t want to risk losing it over nonsense.
Fraud is exactly what I'm trying to avoid lol. I've informed Reside NY person who is handling the application and paperwork about this whole situation and had all the paperwork ready to show she isn't secretly making an income or anything that would disqualify us from the household requirements. I think they just don't want to reassess your application if you make an addition after you apply unless you already have some sort of interdependency, so the lottery might be a bit trickier for partners applying if they haven't formally lived together before. The manager said its possible to add someone to the lease I'd just like to do that sooner than later.

Really hoping the lease agreement clears this up so I know exactly when she can live with me and have everything above board.

Old 07-25-2022, 11:18 AM

It's not just your SO's income, or lack thereof. These lottery apartments are intended for working families, people who are mutually dependent on each other, not roommate situations, as you know.

However, after you move in, and the apartment is yours alone, you will be able to have a roommate, because that is part of the rent stabilization law. So at that time you will not have to prove mutual dependence.

I don't know how eager the landlord will be to add her to the lease though. You'll have to find out.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:10 PM

954 posts, read 932,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
It's not just your SO's income, or lack thereof. These lottery apartments are intended for working families, people who are mutually dependent on each other, not roommate situations, as you know.

However, after you move in, and the apartment is yours alone, you will be able to have a roommate, because that is part of the rent stabilization law. So at that time you will not have to prove mutual dependence.

I don't know how eager the landlord will be to add her to the lease though. You'll have to find out.
They’re intended for everyone over the age of 18 that meets the requirements not just working families.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
They’re intended for everyone over the age of 18 that meets the requirements not just working families.
Not correct. The definition of a household, according to the Marketing Guidelines:

"Household" at admission shall mean (i) a single person, or (ii) two or more
persons who:
a. are Immediate Family Members;
b. are Extended Family Members who need to live together in order to
support one another with respect to finances, child care, eldercare,
medical care, or other extenuating family circumstance, as indicated
by self-certifications explaining the family circumstances and needs;
or
c. are financially interdependent, as indicated by (i) current leases or
utility records demonstrating a shared address, or (ii) documentation,
such as bank accounts, demonstrating shared assets.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...dbook-8-21.pdf

Or did you mean something else? That the person doesn't have to be working?

Old 07-25-2022, 12:19 PM

125 posts, read 135,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
Right! These apartments aren’t just for families they’re for single people too that’s why they have studio apartments and 1br apartments available in the lottery.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:20 PM

If you read what I posted, a single person is considered a household. But two roommates would not be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery