Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2022, 10:41 PM

10 posts, read 7,462 times

Advertisements

Anyone get really lucky on getting chosen? Ive gotten chose for 4 in about 10 days but they arent the ones i really really want. One of them are decent but I was thinking maybe trying my luck and holding out for Gotham or Eagle st. I got chosen for Gold St 5 days ago but im afraid if i submit documents now, ill be waiting forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 01:28 AM

92 posts, read 79,873 times
Submitting documents doesn’t guarantee anything. Right now you are 0/4. Celebrate when signing lease and never before.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:09 AM

122 posts, read 118,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinefx View Post
Submitting documents doesn’t guarantee anything. Right now you are 0/4. Celebrate when signing lease and never before.
With the way these lotteries are and the high numbers, you can celebrate whenever. Whether it’s a low log number or when you sign it. Sounds like this person chose to turn down the units but it’s still awesome to even get called for that many in a short time frame. Let’s be more positive .

Old 09-21-2022, 06:47 AM

453 posts, read 497,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinefx View Post
Honestly, after my SVEN debacle I can confirm this. Worst thing is we were totally eligible (as proven by the fact we just got approved for a different 130% lottery!). So, even eligibility doesn't guarantee no screw ups or unfairness in the process to leave you out in the cold!

To answer OPs original question, I've been called to submit for 5 lotteries since January this year - OTTO, SVEN, 68 Gold, the Deermar, and one in South Slope (forgot the name). It seems like I have more luck with the smaller, boutique-y buildings but super high numbers in the huge and popular ones.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:53 AM

530 posts, read 410,624 times
Go through the application motions and make sure things you submit are 100% in line with the eligibility. Don’t count any request for docs as you getting the apartment.

It’s great you’re getting lucky but unless you’re called in to see the space and are assigned the unit and have to sign the lease. Only then you are legit getting the place to call home.

The process after doc request could take two weeks. Maybe even 4-6 months so keep all your options open and don’t get too greedy ( get enough greedy so you get to choose your best option but not to much where you regret saying no to something that was good but you wanted better)

Old 09-21-2022, 07:16 AM

172 posts, read 243,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinasb View Post
Go through the application motions and make sure things you submit are 100% in line with the eligibility. Don’t count any request for docs as you getting the apartment.

It’s great you’re getting lucky but unless you’re called in to see the space and are assigned the unit and have to sign the lease. Only then you are legit getting the place to call home.

The process after doc request could take two weeks. Maybe even 4-6 months so keep all your options open and don’t get too greedy ( get enough greedy so you get to choose your best option but not to much where you regret saying no to something that was good but you wanted better)
I would even say to wait until you actually sign the lease before even thinking you won the housing lottery and have a new home. Viewing a unit simply isn’t enough.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:56 PM

347 posts, read 455,028 times
It’s obvious he doesn’t really want the ones that he got requests docs for so he is holding out for better. But I would suggest that you just go through the process with the one you said is decent just to have the experience so when the right one for you is available you’ll know exactly what to do

Old 09-21-2022, 05:28 PM

40 posts, read 25,874 times
This is my fourth time being selected and I was rejected 3 times already so I would say do what you can to secure the apt first

Old 09-22-2022, 03:51 PM

10 posts, read 7,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
Honestly, after my SVEN debacle I can confirm this. Worst thing is we were totally eligible (as proven by the fact we just got approved for a different 130% lottery!). So, even eligibility doesn't guarantee no screw ups or unfairness in the process to leave you out in the cold!

To answer OPs original question, I've been called to submit for 5 lotteries since January this year - OTTO, SVEN, 68 Gold, the Deermar, and one in South Slope (forgot the name). It seems like I have more luck with the smaller, boutique-y buildings but super high numbers in the huge and popular ones.

What were some of the reasons for disqualifying you?

Old 09-22-2022, 05:00 PM

136 posts, read 116,061 times
Always follow through because you never know sometimes opportunity comes like NYC buses all at once or not all. Getting the call for an interview is never a guarantee. So go ahead with your paper work, work on what is in front and see what happens as opposed to waiting on what may or may not happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery