Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2022, 02:00 PM

23 posts, read 29,774 times

Advertisements

Has anyone successfully navigated a lease transfer of a 130% AMI apartment? Assuming you found someone who also met the income requirement and was able to submit the required documentation, were you able to transfer the lease to that other person rather than breaking it?

Or is there no option for a lease transfer (since essentially that would be bypassing the waitlist)?

Asking because I'd appreciate a way to avoid the heavy lease break penalty.

Thank you

Last edited by Tapanzee; 09-27-2022 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 02:15 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,860,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapanzee View Post
Has anyone successfully navigated a lease transfer of a 130% AMI apartment? Assuming you found someone who also met the income requirement and was able to submit the required documentation, were you able to transfer the lease to that other person rather than breaking it?

Or is there essentially no option for a lease transfer (since essentially that would be bypassing the waitlist)?

Asking because I'd appreciate a way to avoid the heavy lease break penalty.

Thank you
First - check what your lease says, if it doesn't allow lease transfers, ask your building management, perhaps they will be lenient. Mine was not.

They did not allow lease breaks or transfers. My options: sublet the apt (given that I was moving to another lottery apt and can only have one primary residence) this was also not an option).

2nd option: "Abandon" the apartment, once I turned in the keys, I emailed management that I was giving up all rights to the apartment, that allowed them to look for a replacement using their existing waitlist. Before doing this, I confirmed they had an existing/active waitlist.

Thankfully it worked out and I only paid a month and a half's rent.

At this point, I was at the 200% AMI but I don't it would have made a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery