Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 12:18 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,402,143 times

Advertisements

I've heard mixed things. Lets say 50% goes to CB and there are 10 - one bedrooms and 10- two bedrooms in the building. 20 units in all.

Does CB get 5 of the 10 ones bedrooms and 5 of the 10 two bedrooms?

Or does CB get 10 units of any available 20 units in the building?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 12:36 PM

213 posts, read 216,452 times
I noticed i only get low logs when there is NO preference... but i also wanna crack the math on this lol

Old 09-30-2022, 12:40 PM

Yeah I am trying to see if I even have a shot with these preference buildings.

The newest one up today only has 7 units with CB..have to get a log under 20 to have a real shot because there is only 1 bedroom unit avail

Old 09-30-2022, 12:43 PM

175 posts, read 177,128 times
Yea, I think CB gets 10 units of any available 20 units in the building (depending on what they qualify for), I honestly don’t think they’d be organized enough to sort it the other way lol but maybe it’s either way and just depends on the building mgmt/marketing agency.

Old 09-30-2022, 12:44 PM

800 posts, read 731,005 times
I don’t know for sure but I think the second makes most sense. Take a situation where nobody in CB is eligible for a 2 bedroom. Well they won’t complete that requirement if they went by the first option.

I also think the most fair way to approach cb is if u start with lowest log numbers that have cb and work ur way up.

Old 09-30-2022, 12:48 PM

Yeah that makes sense, also sucks for me because Im looking for a 1 bed those are in HIGH demand and I'm also in a lower AMI so by the time preferences are done no 1 beds are avail like what I think is happening in 40 oak ;/

Old 09-30-2022, 02:01 PM

399 posts, read 376,155 times
Also do they always fill up the CB preferences before they start the general applications?

Old 09-30-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinCH View Post
Also do they always fill up the CB preferences before they start the general applications?
This one I saw in the handbook that they don’t have to they can call gen pop & preferences at the same time but most call CB first

Old 09-30-2022, 04:03 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,645,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
I've heard mixed things. Lets say 50% goes to CB and there are 10 - one bedrooms and 10- two bedrooms in the building. 20 units in all.

Does CB get 5 of the 10 ones bedrooms and 5 of the 10 two bedrooms?

Or does CB get 10 units of any available 20 units in the building?
Half the units and just luck of the draw and what units size and/or AMI% is popular with the low logs# with CB preference.

I have never seen it written that there is any attempt to distribute CB units evenly by AMI% or by unit size.

In your second example, it comes down to what the lowest log#s with CB preference take from inventory until the allotment is fulfilled. This means any combination of units that adds up to half the units. (They don’t count a three bedroom three times compared to one bedroom). This can make for unkind outcomes. For example, an applicant with CB preference and a very low log# might get passed over if when their log# is called there is no longer a unit left with an AMI% they qualify for, or likewise they might require a two bedroom but those have already been taken.

We can imagine a lottery with CB preference where there are studio units. But, the studio units are exceptionally small. As a result, applicants with low log#s and CB preference all declined the studio units. So, when it came time for general population log# to be called all the tiny studios are still available.

Old 09-30-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Half the units and just luck of the draw and what units size and/or AMI% is popular with the low logs# with CB preference.

I have never seen it written that there is any attempt to distribute CB units evenly by AMI% or by unit size.

In your second example, it comes down to what the lowest log#s with CB preference take from inventory until the allotment is fulfilled. This means any combination of units that adds up to half the units. (They don’t count a three bedroom three times compared to one bedroom). This can make for unkind outcomes. For example, an applicant with CB preference and a very low log# might get passed over if when their log# is called there is no longer a unit left with an AMI% they qualify for, or likewise they might require a two bedroom but those have already been taken.

We can imagine a lottery with CB preference where there are studio units. But, the studio units are exceptionally small. As a result, applicants with low log#s and CB preference all declined the studio units. So, when it came time for general population log# to be called all the tiny studios are still available.
This makes sense, in that case winning a spot with CB preference when you don’t have CB is very hard imo.

I’m starting to get discoursed :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery