Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 04:46 PM

347 posts, read 456,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71293kate View Post
Affordable housing is still needed for 130AMI. Yes, they do get the majority of listings currently there is no doubt about that and it should be more equitable but the need is still there since people can still struggle with housing in that AMI due to market rate rents. Why should the only option to increase affordable housing for lower AMIs be by removing access for others? Shouldn't they just increase affordable housing period and balance things out? That hit should be coming from the people who are making millions off of the developments, not the middle-class people who are still struggling. There needs to be an increase in available units for lower AMIs and the gaps should be addressed.
I agree with you even though I don’t fall in the 130% Ami what they need to do is include all ami’s in all projects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 04:58 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuy View Post
There's good news out there if you would be look for it.

https://comptroller.nyc.gov/newsroom...-social-bonds/

Old 10-12-2022, 10:02 AM

416 posts, read 230,118 times
The issue is the more low AMI apartments, the less livable the building will likely end up being.
I'm in a mixed building and we have three "ghetto floors" where management had to install cameras near the elevator and no smoking signs in the stairwells. Clothes left for hours or days in the machines in the central laundry room are always of the low price sort (no offense). Management has a set of keys at the front desk for every apartment, but the tenant can take them for temporary use or designate someone for access. A woman was at the front desk asking for her keys and it turns out a male friend had her keys and took them off site and she was now locked out (snippet: "What chou doin' wif ma keys? ")
Management regularly sends out notices for quality of life issues. If you're paying $1,100 for a two BR apartment with a dishwasher and central heat and AC controlled by you, I'd hope you'd be appreciative enough to reside appropriately.

Old 10-12-2022, 10:12 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,402,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7continents View Post
The issue is the more low AMI apartments, the less livable the building will likely end up being.
I'm in a mixed building and we have three "ghetto floors" where management had to install cameras near the elevator and no smoking signs in the stairwells. Clothes left for hours or days in the machines in the central laundry room are always of the low price sort (no offense). Management has a set of keys at the front desk for every apartment, but the tenant can take them for temporary use or designate someone for access. A woman was at the front desk asking for her keys and it turns out a male friend had her keys and took them off site and she was now locked out (snippet: "What chou doin' wif ma keys? ")
Management regularly sends out notices for quality of life issues. If you're paying $1,100 for a two BR apartment with a dishwasher and central heat and AC controlled by you, I'd hope you'd be appreciative enough to reside appropriately.
"The issue is the more low AMI apartments, the less livable the building will likely end up being."

I disagree with this statement. I'm living in a market rate rent controlled/rent stabilized building. I pay a decent amount but have neighbors who have been here years paying $800 for a 1 bedroom. They are the nicest people. We don't have an issue with individual people living here we have issues with how the building is maintained by management. People have had ceilings fall on them, there is a rat roach infestation, the walls are so thin...etc etc.

for that reason I don't think its fair to say lower AMI people will cause a low QOL for people in a building.

You can have someone making 6 figures who is a disturbance to their neighbors

Old 10-12-2022, 11:03 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,864,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
"The issue is the more low AMI apartments, the less livable the building will likely end up being."

I disagree with this statement. I'm living in a market rate rent controlled/rent stabilized building. I pay a decent amount but have neighbors who have been here years paying $800 for a 1 bedroom. They are the nicest people. We don't have an issue with individual people living here we have issues with how the building is maintained by management. People have had ceilings fall on them, there is a rat roach infestation, the walls are so thin...etc etc.

for that reason I don't think its fair to say lower AMI people will cause a low QOL for people in a building.

You can have someone making 6 figures who is a disturbance to their neighbors
In a perfect world, I’d like to agree with you but that has not been the case for me. Every single tenant that’s been an issue was like what 7 continents said.

One of my old neighbors was in prison, then homeless shelter (his words) and I’m sure he’s still wreaking havoc on the floor, management can’t get rid of him. . All the other problem tenants are of some variation….

I ran into an old neighbor a couple days ago, we were talking about our experiences, I brought up that I didn’t want to read about gunshots in my building from Citizen App. She tells me; she didn’t hear about that, she did about the stabbing

At least MR, they move out…

Old 10-12-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
In a perfect world, I’d like to agree with you but that has not been the case for me. Every single tenant that’s been an issue was like what 7 continents said.

One of my old neighbors was in prison, then homeless shelter (his words) and I’m sure he’s still wreaking havoc on the floor, management can’t get rid of him. . All the other problem tenants are of some variation….

I ran into an old neighbor a couple days ago, we were talking about our experiences, I brought up that I didn’t want to read about gunshots in my building from Citizen App. She tells me; she didn’t hear about that, she did about the stabbing

At least MR, they move out…
Where is this building located? Does location have an impact cuz like I said my building is filled with ppl who are on vouchers/section 8 etc etc and they are the least of my worries but I’m also in a very safe area so maybe that’s why?

Old 10-12-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Where is this building located? Does location have an impact cuz like I said my building is filled with ppl who are on vouchers/section 8 etc etc and they are the least of my worries but I’m also in a very safe area so maybe that’s why?
I won’t say the building, but only a couple blocks from Brooklyn Crossing where I live now. I paid six weeks rent to break my lease and get out of there.
I don’t even remember when I moved in but lived there for at least three years. I’m pretty sure I have PTSD from living there. The most miserable time in my life.

I feel bad for the guy living in my old apt because I already know it’s hell for him too.

Old 10-12-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
I won’t say the building, but only a couple blocks from Brooklyn Crossing where I live now. I paid six weeks rent to break my lease and get out of there.
I don’t even remember when I moved in but lived there for at least three years. I’m pretty sure I have PTSD from living there. The most miserable time in my life.

I feel bad for the guy living in my old apt because I already know it’s hell for him too.
It’s just odd the landlord isn’t doing anything. I’m seeing a comment about a landlord taking someone to court for not paying rent when she had a flood in her apartment. That dude you dealt with doesn’t sound like he’s paying rent .

Also I’m sorry you went though that. I’m glad you’re in a better situation

Old 10-12-2022, 11:56 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,840,418 times
The difference in here is, that guy whom Marsha talked about is perhaps a rent-stabilized tenant, my friend was an MR tenant & it's easier for LL to bring MR tenants to court than RS tenants.

Quote:
It’s just odd the landlord isn’t doing anything. I’m seeing a comment about a landlord taking someone to court for not paying rent when she had a flood in her apartment. That dude you dealt with doesn’t sound like he’s paying rent .

Old 10-12-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Thank you. Oh the landlord tried, even asked me to testify. Told him absolutely not. I wasn’t about to put my life in jeopardy.

I’m quite sure the city pays his rent….especially given he doesn’t work. All he does is smoke, get high and be a downright terror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: