Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 07:43 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyZ View Post
Everything is great so far. As for neighborhood spots, I’m still looking! I went to a great vegan restaurant for brunch over the summer called Ladybird in the east village. Rosemaries is a nice, close restaurant. I find myself walking down streets and thinking “this looks cute, I have to remember it” - but I never do!
See a cute restaurant? Take a photo of it! I use my phone these days as a database of things I don't want to forget.

I'll have to check out Ladybird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 08:28 PM

81 posts, read 89,156 times
Hi there fellow lucky people! Sorry I have been out of the loop - it has been a crazy few weeks setting up my place and now I am back out of town for the holidays visiting family. I am in PCV and only have one screen inside the living room window, which opens vertically from the bottom. Sounds very different than those you have.

If you have not yet joined the Buy Nothing group on Facebook, do! It has been amazing, I practically furnished my apartment LOL. Seriously, I got so much really nice stuff from donations and it is a really great community.

I look forward to connecting with you all when I return after the holidays...wishing you all continued blessings!

xorose

Old 11-19-2022, 05:26 AM

76 posts, read 120,642 times
Hiii everyone !
I don’t know how I missed this thread! Moved in at the end of August and I love it so much!! This community is amazing!! I am catching up to all the messages.

I had my screens installed by Tom of all trades. I wish I would of known there are so many free screens that appear on the Buy nothing group or at the bulk

Sandy

Old 11-19-2022, 06:50 AM

76 posts, read 120,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeNYC View Post
Did anyone hang curtains yet in a Stuy Town apartment, what length did you get? 95 or 96" seems long but 84" seems too short.
I got 96 and put it almost to the ceiling for the livingroom. I have 84 in my bedroom because I had them and they are a bit short

Old 11-21-2022, 05:44 PM

64 posts, read 95,337 times
Glad a few more people are being offered apartments are we are still connecting at times on city data. If you are ever in the mood for soup/ramen, I recommend TabeTomo. It is a bit of a walk but I highly recommend.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:09 PM

118 posts, read 126,152 times
Hello all,

today I received a mail informing me that my rent will increase as of February 2023 due to work improvement done in the apt in 2020. MCI increase.
The thing is I signed my lease on august 2022 and moved in oct. In my lease, I am pretty sure that they added MCI for the work they have done before I moved in.
The only hope that I have to not be subjected to the February rent increase is if my lease stated that an additional increase was pending. I will look into my lease this week-end, but I was wondering if you also received a notice of rent increase.
Its just a $36 rent increase but I already got a $40 rent increase as they initially gave me a pre-oct increase and than corrected... Its starting to add up.

Best,
Yasmine

Old 11-22-2022, 09:43 AM

42 posts, read 57,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya24 View Post
Hello all,

today I received a mail informing me that my rent will increase as of February 2023 due to work improvement done in the apt in 2020. MCI increase.
The thing is I signed my lease on august 2022 and moved in oct. In my lease, I am pretty sure that they added MCI for the work they have done before I moved in.
The only hope that I have to not be subjected to the February rent increase is if my lease stated that an additional increase was pending. I will look into my lease this week-end, but I was wondering if you also received a notice of rent increase.
Its just a $36 rent increase but I already got a $40 rent increase as they initially gave me a pre-oct increase and than corrected... Its starting to add up.

Best,
Yasmine
Hi Yasmine,

MCIs are usually done on a building by building basis, so others here may not have received the same notice if they're not in your building. The increase in your lease would be a percentage of the cost for the renovations for your apartment; this MCI is probably for work that was done on the building as a whole (I'm guessing).

My lease says this:
Quote:
Major Capital Improvements (MCI) * An owner is permitted a rental increase for building*wide major
capital improvements, such as the replacement of a boiler or new plumbing. Major Capital Improvement rent increases are prohibited in buildings that contain 35% or fewer rent regulated apartments. The
owner must file an application with DHCR and all supporting documentation is audited.
DHCR may issue an order denying the increase or granting it in part or in whole and serve the order on the owner and all tenants in the building. The rent increase approved in the DHCR order is collectible prospectively, on the first day of the first month 60 days after issuance. There are no retroactive rent
increases. The collection of the increase is limited to a 2% cap/yearly phase*in. The 2% cap also applies to MCI rent increases not yet collected that were approved on or after June 14, 2012. Upon vacancy, the remaining balance of the increase can be added to the legal rent. In buildings with 35 or fewer units, the cost is amortized over a 12*year period. In buildings with more than 35 units, the cost is amortized over 12 ½ years. The building must be free and clear of any outstanding hazardous and immediately hazardous violations. The MCI rent increase is temporary and it must be removed from the rent in 30 years and the legal rent must be adjusted at that time for guideline increases that were previously compounded on a rent that included the MCI rent increase.
Vacancy lease tenants are to be notified in their lease about pending MCI applications.
My lease has an additional section called "MCI Rider" that does advise me of a pending application for an MCI increase for my building. I recommend searching your lease for that section. If it's not there, they may have to wait until your lease is up to apply the increase. Also, I believe the initial charge can't be more than 2% of your rent, though they can gradually increase it to the full amount. If $36 is more than 2% of your rent you wouldn't have to pay the full amount yet.

This is the government's fact sheet with more info about the rules for MCIs if you are curious: https://hcr.ny.gov/system/files/docu...24-10-2019.pdf

Old 11-23-2022, 08:53 AM

118 posts, read 126,152 times
Thank you so much for getting back to me. I will look into my lease.
Happy thanksgiving to all. This year I am so thankful for my apt. I love It sooooo much.

Old 11-24-2022, 06:45 AM

151 posts, read 199,777 times
I had gotten a letter about an MCI too - for a “gas repiping” for $23.10 (based on how many rooms you have and I have a 1 bedroom). I asked my neighbor about it (who’s lived here since the 90s) since I too, was concerned with getting this and the AC increase recently. She said we don’t get them very often and she felt that it was good that they were keeping up with maintaining these things. I thought everyone got this increase but maybe it’s by building?

Happy Thanksgiving all! I second what Yaya said - so thankful for my apartment and this group!!

Old 11-24-2022, 08:29 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times
MCIs can be applied to your rent anytime. The landlord doesn’t have to wait until the end of your lease. It goes per building as the work is done in each.

We have been burdened with many MCIs over the years. Corporate landlords have huge legal staffs, and part of their job is to get the maximum rent out of each unit. Fortunately, because of the tenant-friendly rent laws finally passed by Democrats in Albany in 2019, MCI increases are limited to a lower percentage of the cost of the project, and the MCI charges stay on your rent for “only” 30 years. Previously, MCIs stayed on our rent forever. Our windows were installed in the early 1990s and we are still paying for them, along with the rewiring.

The tenants association has a practice of challenging each MCI, but to date, as far as I can remember, was successfully in only a handful of cases in getting the amount somewhat reduced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery