Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 11:07 AM

17 posts, read 16,584 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with transferring units while your original lease it still in effect? I signed a lease for a 1 bedroom but ended up requesting my marketing agent re submit my paperwork for a 2 bedroom unit transfer. As I wait for that, building management is telling me I'm unable to cancel the lease and move units. Although the process is already underway with HPD. I'm super confused and need to know if I can get out of this lease..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2023, 01:32 PM

6,687 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Is this a unit in the same building? There are many of us who have experience breaking lottery leases to move into other rent stabilized places, but I've never read about someone being denied to break their lease for a unit within the same building.

Old 01-04-2023, 01:45 PM

Yes the unit is in the same building. I didn't think it would be an issue but the building management isn't being so understanding about my situation. When you broke the lease did you have to pay anything? How did the process go?

Old 01-04-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Is this a unit in the same building? There are many of us who have experience breaking lottery leases to move into other rent stabilized places, but I've never read about someone being denied to break their lease for a unit within the same building.
Yes the unit is in the same building. I didn't think it would be an issue but the building management isn't being so understanding about my situation. When you broke the lease did you have to pay anything? How did the process go?

Old 01-04-2023, 07:21 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,451,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptgurl View Post
Does anyone have any experience with transferring units while your original lease it still in effect? I signed a lease for a 1 bedroom but ended up requesting my marketing agent re submit my paperwork for a 2 bedroom unit transfer. As I wait for that, building management is telling me I'm unable to cancel the lease and move units. Although the process is already underway with HPD. I'm super confused and need to know if I can get out of this lease..
I had no issue breaking my previous lottery lease when I won a different lottery this past summer. My old management only required 30 days notice and a move out inspection and I paid nothing extra and got my full security back. I basically just notified them that I was planing to move in the next few months and asked what their policy was and got it in writing and then when the time came, I notified them in writing and the process moved forward exactly as outlined.

If you have a large management company, they definitely have an early termination policy of some sorts because they've had to deal with this in the past. I would just ask in writing directly to management for their early lease termination policy in writing. Short and sweet, don't mention the other unit. Just ask for their policy and see what they say. If they are playing hardball, ask if you find a suitable tenant to replace you, will they let you out. No guarantees but worth trying.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
I had no issue breaking my previous lottery lease when I won a different lottery this past summer. My old management only required 30 days notice and a move out inspection and I paid nothing extra and got my full security back. I basically just notified them that I was planing to move in the next few months and asked what their policy was and got it in writing and then when the time came, I notified them in writing and the process moved forward exactly as outlined.

If you have a large management company, they definitely have an early termination policy of some sorts because they've had to deal with this in the past. I would just ask in writing directly to management for their early lease termination policy in writing. Short and sweet, don't mention the other unit. Just ask for their policy and see what they say. If they are playing hardball, ask if you find a suitable tenant to replace you, will they let you out. No guarantees but worth trying.
I actually never moved into the unit , so I had to mention the transfer.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I actually never moved into the unit , so I had to mention the transfer.
I wasn't saying you should not have told them, obviously you would have had to in order to transfer. I just mean ask them straight up and in writing, separate from the transfer request, what their policy is for terminating a lease early and see what they say. Clearly they're trying to jerk you around and hope you won't play hardball back. They already know you want to transfer but asking them just for information, separate from anything to do with your transfer process, is harder for you to ignore. Plus, getting whatever their response is in writing helps you in the event they do have a more standard termination policy (likely), but try to tell you otherwise (seems like what they're trying to get you to accept), you have a basis for an appeal or additional assistance from HPD. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2023, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I wasn't saying you should not have told them, obviously you would have had to in order to transfer. I just mean ask them straight up and in writing, separate from the transfer request, what their policy is for terminating a lease early and see what they say. Clearly they're trying to jerk you around and hope you won't play hardball back. They already know you want to transfer but asking them just for information, separate from anything to do with your transfer process, is harder for you to ignore. Plus, getting whatever their response is in writing helps you in the event they do have a more standard termination policy (likely), but try to tell you otherwise (seems like what they're trying to get you to accept), you have a basis for an appeal or additional assistance from HPD. Good luck!
Gotcha! I will try to do that. The landlord was aware I was trying to transfer a while ago and actually advised me to contact my marketing agent to do so. I don't understand why she was treating the situation as if it's something out of the ordinary. she literally yelled at me over the phone "you shouldn't have signed the lease"

HPD suggested the transfer in the first place but I tried to ask them about this today and they said they have nothing to do with leases. I thought they would be able to advise me on what to do at least. Either way.. it is in the same building and I intend on moving in as soon as I get the approval to do so, I don't understand why there isn't a way to just transfer the lease to the new unit. .

This is all very confusing to me and I wish I had more help to know what the process really should be. I appreciate your help ! Thank you !

Old 01-04-2023, 10:22 PM

Quote:
she literally yelled at me over the phone "you shouldn't have signed the lease"
Wow, I'm sorry! The thing is, I bet you wish you hadn't either given where you are now! But remember, this is her job and what she's getting paid to do all day and its not your job to make sure she has an easy job. You can be kind and still just respond firmly that you would like to know the policy to terminate your lease and ask what the next steps are to process the transfer. Let her rant if she needs to, that's not on you to solve, and then calmly ask again. I know it's probable stressful and frustrating but remember that if the 2br is better for you long-term, this will all be worth it. Keep calm and carry on, this process is such a marathon.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Wow, I'm sorry! The thing is, I bet you wish you hadn't either given where you are now! But remember, this is her job and what she's getting paid to do all day and its not your job to make sure she has an easy job. You can be kind and still just respond firmly that you would like to know the policy to terminate your lease and ask what the next steps are to process the transfer. Let her rant if she needs to, that's not on you to solve, and then calmly ask again. I know it's probable stressful and frustrating but remember that if the 2br is better for you long-term, this will all be worth it. Keep calm and carry on, this process is such a marathon.
Lol exactly! I explained to her that I only signed the lease because I was given the wrong information by the marketing agent. At this point she said she needs to speak to her to figure out what to do. I just hope it doesn't involve keeping any of the money I paid. But yes the 2br is definitely worth it as i'm expecting a baby boy in 2 months. I just hope this gets handled sooner than later. Again, thank you for your kind words it helps to ease my mind in this high anxiety situation. After all these are peoples living situations! it sucks that that it has to be this difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: