Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2023, 09:46 AM

50 posts, read 46,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon7mouse View Post
  1. Have people been able to view multiple units after being approved (if they qualify for various # of bedrooms)? They assign a unit beforehand, but can you see more options/floors/lines once you're there in person, and choose?
  2. I noticed some HC developments offering 2 months free rent on leases, does Ruby do something similar?
Ruby is offering 2 month promo but don’t think it applies to lottery applicants. I’d like to know for sure too as I’m signing the lease tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 10:06 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,437,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR76 View Post
Ruby is offering 2 month promo but don’t think it applies to lottery applicants. I’d like to know for sure too as I’m signing the lease tomorrow.
You'll have to find out and report back to us!

Old 10-23-2023, 10:45 AM

50 posts, read 46,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
You'll have to find out and report back to us!
Will do. I was hoping to hear it from someone who has already moved in!

Old 10-23-2023, 11:27 AM

530 posts, read 410,624 times
Quote:
Will do. I was hoping to hear it from someone who has already moved in!
dont imagine them giving any month free for lottery tenants, they are never going to have any difficulty filling up a unit. I'd imagine for every unit available and being processed there are multiple people in line who would sign the lease in a second if they were being considered.

Usually giving a month free is just a tactic many landlords use to attract and fill up a building, I can speak from experience moving is one of life's most painful things to do and a lot of tenants just sign the next year at higher rents as moving is usually always more expensive than paying a little more rent.

If you could please share pictures or video of the unit if you already had your viewing

Old 10-23-2023, 12:45 PM

394 posts, read 370,745 times
Quote:
A building I was reached out in Astoria offered 1 month free to lottery folks but when the time I was reached they didn’t offer that and then the lottery went on live on housing connect again it was recently.

I wish they would offer free months to lottery folks but building like Ruby located in desired area will never offer free months to lottery folks. They will have no problem to fill up the units that’s for sure people won’t say no to this building BUT I you did find out they do please let us know

Old 10-23-2023, 02:00 PM

17 posts, read 13,182 times
Quote:
No free months were offered to me. And I’m pretty sure the “free month” for regular renters is them just dividing up that one month’s price and adding it on to the other months in the lease

Old 10-23-2023, 05:44 PM

98 posts, read 61,738 times
Can confirm as I've scheduled my viewing- once you're assigned a unit they won't let you switch to another, so if you qualify for multiple and have a # of bedrooms preference be sure to share before they send to HPD.

Old 10-23-2023, 05:56 PM

98 posts, read 61,738 times
Quote:
Congratulations! Would you mind sharing what line you're on? So far I haven't seen anyone on the same line as me! lol

Old 10-23-2023, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon7mouse View Post
Congratulations! Would you mind sharing what line you're on? So far I haven't seen anyone on the same line as me! lol
What line and unit size were you assigned, and what ami/preference do you have ?

Good to know that you were able to ask all your options.

That is definitely in line with HPD, cuz once they approve you they do it for the listed unit and changing it would mean going through the process again which the agent or hpd wouldn't want to

Old 10-23-2023, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinCH View Post
A building I was reached out in Astoria offered 1 month free to lottery folks but when the time I was reached they didn’t offer that and then the lottery went on live on housing connect again it was recently.

I wish they would offer free months to lottery folks but building like Ruby located in desired area will never offer free months to lottery folks. They will have no problem to fill up the units that’s for sure people won’t say no to this building BUT I you did find out they do please let us know
Thats great, sometimes landlords agents will do it to entice people breaking a lease and moving asap.
One lottery unit I was considered for offered the 1 month free but the lease had to start within a few days of getting approved by HPD

Ruby's rents for market rate are definitely on the higher end if you dont factor in the monthly non discounted rent, the two months does def bring down net effective rent for the first year or two depending on how long you sign the lease for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery