Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2023, 12:44 PM

108 posts, read 103,385 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are a biracial family (Asian/latin) who have the opportunity at 2 Mitchell lama complexes. One in Luna Park Coops, the other at Rosalie Manning coops. Here is what we like about Luna:

3Br more spacious apartment, great condition with renovated bathroom, floors and kitchen. As a car owner, parking is no hassle. The con that i see here, as a non Slavic, is blatant ignorance, racism and discrimination. Also, the ride to our jobs in midtown is brutal and the neighborhood has its own social, drug and violence issues.

The apartment at Rosalie is a slightly smaller 2BR, but offers large balcony,the maintenance is 300 cheaper but the parking situation will be a nightmare until we get called for a parking spot at the complex. The neighborhood seems family friendly and the diversity more of our preference.

We have a 4 year old with another on the way soon. We're on the fence here and do not want to make the wrong move so any insight and advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 02:05 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Rosalie Manning is in a nice area. Walk to most of your needs nearby. Whole Foods is at the corner. It’s near the both the 4/5/6 on Lexington Av/86th, and the Q on 2nd Ave/86th. And there is a crosstown bus on 86th, also buses on every avenue except Park Ave. The Ruppert park on 2nd Ave at E90th St very near and is nice with trees and has a playground. 91st between 2nd and 3rd Ave is closed to motor traffic, nice for kids with bikes and such.

I must assume the cost per sq ft at market rate is much higher in Yorkville than in Coney Island. The discount off of market rate is likely larger at Rosalie Manning than at Luna Park.

You could put the $300 savings on maintenance toward parking costs. Garages might be cheaper the further east and/or north you go. There is Ruppert Towers only two short blocks north it’s big and might have space in their garage for a price.

If you walk 3 to 4 blocks in either direction on E88th St you reach either Central Park or Carl Schurz Park, both are top parks.

There is a public high school on E88th St. btwn Park and Lex. Dalton Schl is one block north. Not sure where the elementary schools are for the area.

You should pursue both buildings because it’s very hard to forecast when a vacancy will occur in either place. Luna Park has many more units however so the wait list would tend to move faster.

If you are called for a vacancy at Rosalie Manning you should seriously consider taking it. If you move to Luna Park, stay active with Rosalie Manning wait list.

Rosalie Manning might have an internal waitlist for 3 bed units for families that already live there.

Last edited by WildAboutHarry; 02-16-2023 at 03:11 PM..

Old 02-16-2023, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,803 times
Living at Brighton Beach/Coney Island is horrible. Take it from someone who is in fact Slavic. I was counting days till my lease was due.

Old 02-16-2023, 09:10 PM

79 posts, read 66,469 times
Take Rosalie Manning!! Close to Central Park, schools in the area are great, transportation options are fabulous. People try really hard to get into that Mitchell Lama!! I would take it in a heartbeat

Old 09-27-2023, 12:08 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by america.wanted View Post
Living at Brighton Beach/Coney Island is horrible. Take it from someone who is in fact Slavic. I was counting days till my lease was due.
What's "horrible" about it? It has the ocean and great food, for starters!

Old 09-27-2023, 12:30 PM

12 posts, read 5,460 times
Far out in Brooklyn, the commute is garbo. UES is the obvious choice here.

Old 09-28-2023, 04:09 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
RM is the clear choice unless you have ties/work in/near Brighton Beach.

Old 09-28-2023, 05:09 PM

345 posts, read 853,034 times
I would go with Rosalie. How often do you use the car? Are you using it to drive to work? The parking space in the building may not be available for several years. If the parking is cheap there, people are not going to give it up. You can always rent a car when you really need one.

Old 09-29-2023, 05:56 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
What is UES (I'm not a NYer)?

Last edited by otterhere; 09-29-2023 at 06:12 AM..

Old 09-29-2023, 06:06 AM

828 posts, read 766,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What is UES (I'm not a NYer)?
UES refers to the Upper East Side of Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: