Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2023, 07:11 PM

15 posts, read 16,531 times

Advertisements

I'm sure someone already posted something similar but I couldn't find a straight answer to this question.

Let's say I live in a unit in the 130% AMI (single person) and end up losing a job or salary decreasing due to some unforeseeable event and can't afford the $2500+ monthly rent anymore or no longer in the same AMI. What would happen or what should I do?

I know the obvious answer is to get a new job but what if there's something blocking you from obtaining a higher-salary or second job (i.e. hiring freeze, other life commitments, disability, etc.) -- Is there anything in place to help someone in that situation?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 07:41 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperthemopper View Post
I'm sure someone already posted something similar but I couldn't find a straight answer to this question.

Let's say I live in a unit in the 130% AMI (single person) and end up losing a job or salary decreasing due to some unforeseeable event and can't afford the $2500+ monthly rent anymore or no longer in the same AMI. What would happen or what should I do?

I know the obvious answer is to get a new job but what if there's something blocking you from obtaining a higher-salary or second job (i.e. hiring freeze, other life commitments, disability, etc.) -- Is there anything in place to help someone in that situation?
Same as anyone else living in a RS or other apartment; find a new job or ways to pay your rent. Otherwise sooner or later your happy self will be evicted for nonpayment. It happens all the time.

Saving grace is RS tenants can pay rent habitually late, be dragged into housing court again and again for nonpayment and LL still must offer renewal lease. Only way to get shot of such a "nuisance" RS tenant is to bring a holdover proceeding where landlord claims he/she is being harmed by tenant who chronically pays rent late.

Mind you being unable to pay rent is not a valid defence in NYS. If hauled into housing court for nonpayment even RS tenants have to give court or LL's attorney something to work with. Tenant has to come up with back rent and be able to keep up with forward rent.

Old 02-17-2023, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperthemopper View Post

If by "something" you mean an adjustment in rent, forget it.

These lottery apartments are RS units but that's where things end. They're not NYCHA or some sort of income to rent subsidized ratio housing. Nor does LL have any obligation to allow a lottery tenant in one unit to transfer over to something cheaper. It is what it is basically; either tenant pays rent as agreed or will have to vacate apartment one way or another.

Over years many people thanks to various economic upheavals (stock market crashes, 2008 credit/fiscal crisis then recession), other recessions, company going bankrupt, etc...) have lost high paying jobs. Those with RS units, even below market rent, are not immune to laws. Some begged, borrowed and whatever to make rent until things got better. Others either left unit voluntarily or were evicted.

A few good friends over years suffered financial reverses due to said economic upheavals. They took one or two jobs, basically working most of hours God gives in order to make their monthly nut.

Old 02-17-2023, 11:36 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,727,396 times
Note that if you're a rent-stabilized tenant who becomes disabled, you can apply for DRIE, which will freeze your rent (city grants property tax credit to make up the difference). So, in that situation, if you can hold out a few years, the relative expense of the rent will diminish (i.e., $2500 five years from now is worth less than $2500 now).

But, no, they don't adjust the rent just because your income diminishes, just as they don't jack it up if your income increases.

Old 02-18-2023, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Note that if you're a rent-stabilized tenant who becomes disabled, you can apply for DRIE, which will freeze your rent (city grants property tax credit to make up the difference). So, in that situation, if you can hold out a few years, the relative expense of the rent will diminish (i.e., $2500 five years from now is worth less than $2500 now).

But, no, they don't adjust the rent just because your income diminishes, just as they don't jack it up if your income increases.
DRIE like SCRIE is only for low income persons (annual income equal to or less than $50k), living in a RC or RS unit and paying at least one-third of income each month towards rent.

Long story short NYS isn't giving anything away and either program only helps a small certain demographic.

In OP's hypothetical situation neither DRIE or SCRIE would be of much use.

As noted both programs only freeze rent; neither do anything towards providing funds to pay.

Old 02-18-2023, 09:41 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,727,396 times
Well, if you lose your job and can't work due to disability you will almost certainly end up in that low-income, rent-burdened group! Max annual SSDI benefit this year is under $45K, and most won't get anywhere near that. Check your SSA statement sometime.

Just providing some more complete information in case anyone reads this later. Don't disagree with the default assumption that the rent is the rent, regardless of your ability to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery