Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 04:26 PM

31,906 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
That’s messed up. Mine got flooded and the only thing that was damaged was my rug. They reimbursed me after I gave them the invoice. Got my check in the mail that following Monday.
Replacing something like a generic rug is one thing; a model's portfolio would be another.

Unless we're talking about something like an Aubusson standard rugs aren't hugely expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2023, 05:40 PM

101 posts, read 87,356 times
Is this The Deermar, when I looked at that apartment it screamed shoddy construction. As an FYI, new construction as well as substantial renovations are under warranty. This isn’t a job for your building super, they need to be conveying this to the builders and taken care of as a “punch list” item while still under warranty.

If you haven’t already, email the management company ASAP.

Old 03-06-2023, 08:38 PM

65 posts, read 57,651 times
It's The Grand Apartments in the Bronx, and yeah I sent an email to management. No response of course and super couldn't come today so he's coming tomorrow. I'm so afraid of growing mold, I haven't been using the heat. What renters insurance do y'all recommend? I've actually only heard of Lemonade.

Old 03-07-2023, 07:05 AM

Super came and used some device to stick in the wall and check if there's any water still and everything is dry aside from the baseboard which is starting to turn dark. It's all so ugly now (luckily not mold, just water damage on cheap wood) and he said I have to watch out for this every time it rains heavily because it was just ****ty construction. And if I noticed that a lot of things are half finished it's because management is in court with the construction company. But for me, it's like that's not a good enough answer. Because they knew this, for at least me and my neighbor that this would be an issue, so I don't understand why it wasn't disclosed and now I'm in this 2-year lease where I'm just gonna have to expect leaks every time there's a storm?? I don't know how my neighbor and I can team up and tell them to discount our rent for that because its crazy that we have to deal with this from now on.

Also, he leaves the city every weekend. Every Friday evening to Monday we just don't have a super, so what are we even supposed to do if something comes up then? And of course management is also closed on the weekends. The super says it's gonna take two days to do all the plaster and painting and he can try to do a Saturday for me but at the same time, if this **** is just ALWAYS gonna happen how many times is he gonna be in here fixing it?? Dumbasses, so sick of this mess

Old 03-07-2023, 10:30 AM

3,135 posts, read 2,729,934 times
Get that renter's insurance!!! Most major insurance companies offer it. I'm automatically suspicious of fintech so I'd avoid Lemonade in favor of, e.g., State Farm or Liberty Mutual.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:30 AM

101 posts, read 87,356 times
This is completely unacceptable, IANAL but it’s not the tenants’ responsibility to remedy shoddy construction. I recommend reaching out to legal aid clinics and having a lawyer write them a demand letter - ask them if this is a scenario where you can withhold rent. Also, please report to HPD, not sure who your case manager was but I found Albert to be extremely knowledgeable.

As far as providers, I have Assurant renters insurance, it’s $115/year due on signing, if you do file a claim for damages they will likely go after the landlord for damages. Since this is an existing condition, you might want to look into how that would affect your coverage prior to purchasing.

Edit: I’m annoyed for you haha. Please contact your local councilmember, too. I looked him up for you, his name is Oswald Feliz and he used to work as a tenant lawyer! Explain succinctly and professionally the situation, be sure to address him as Councilmember Feliz.

His email is OFeliz@council.nyc.gov also CC the legislative office at district15@council.nyc.gov.

If they’re still dragging their feet, next time it rains film a video and send it to the news stations, tag them on Twitter (tag your councilmember, the building management company, the builder, everyone).

Last edited by Nylkoorb; 03-08-2023 at 09:56 AM..

Old 03-13-2023, 07:41 AM

Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: