Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2023, 10:20 AM

14 posts, read 9,450 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

I was lucky enough to get into a Housing Lottery apartment in 2020 and since then my house size has changed. I’ve reached out to building management a few times and they continue to give me a run around about how they are NOT allowing transfers to bigger units and I’d have to apply to other openings.

When I originally moved in I was approved for a 1 bedroom, but was told I could only move into a studio being that was all that was available at the time. I was told I’d be placed on a waiting list… but I haven’t heard anything in regards to it whenever I reach out.

Has this happened to anyone? And if so what steps did you go to to access a bigger apartment? I went from single, to married, to us planning for a child and a studio space isn’t cutting it any more.

I’ve been told to reach out to HPD or the company that contacted me about this apartment but I always get routed back to building management.

Is there any legality into staying in a studio if my housing has changed? are they required to provide a bigger unit if so? I’m very confused at this process and feel like I’m being bounced around with no clear answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 04:06 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Your first step might be to update your household profile on Housing Connect 2. A next step might be to contact the office of your City Councilor, Assembly person, or State Senator, to seek some constituent service. They might be able connect you to a Social Worker. The aim is to see if there is any obligation at your building to upgrade you, and if there is how does that work.

You can also try connecting with a Housing Ambassador group. There is a section on the HC 2 page as I recall.

You should certainly be entering other lotteries and pursuing other opportunities if you want a bigger place sooner rather than later.

Keep in mind, just because you qualify for a 1 bedroom does not mean that one is necessarily available now or anytime soon in the building where you are now. Nor does it necessarily mean you get to go to the front of the line for a 1 bedroom there or anywhere else. I could be wrong in all of these cases.

If you live in a big building or development that could improve your chance of getting a larger place there. But, I suspect there is no obligation to upgrade your household at another lottery building. Each lottery is its own end.

Good luck.

Old 03-20-2023, 04:45 PM

For this Address: 645 West 59 Street, New York, NY 10019
Election/Assembly District 047/67
Judicial District 01
Congressional District 12
Senatorial District 47
NYC Council District 06
Municipal Court District 03
Assembly District 67

Also, whatever your AMI was when you moved-in in 2020, let’s say 60%, you MIGHT need to Re qualify at 60% with 3 person household if you change unit sizes. Btw, the AMI% have changed since 2020, gone up, and will likely be going up before July 1 this year. If you don’t change apts this might not matter. But moving might reset the clock so to speak.

I emphasize, you need to get the authoritative facts from someone. Likely someone in government. Try reaching out to City Councilor from district 06 Manhattan or Assembly person from district 67. They have staff that might guide you.

Old 03-20-2023, 04:55 PM

FYI, 2022 NYC Area 60% AMI income maximums(?):
For family of one $56,040
For family of two $64,080
For family of three $72,060

Old 03-20-2023, 05:02 PM

14 posts, read 9,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Your first step might be to update your household profile on Housing Connect 2. A next step might be to contact the office of your City Councilor, Assembly person, or State Senator, to seek some constituent service. They might be able connect you to a Social Worker. The aim is to see if there is any obligation at your building to upgrade you, and if there is how does that work.

You can also try connecting with a Housing Ambassador group. There is a section on the HC 2 page as I recall.

You should certainly be entering other lotteries and pursuing other opportunities if you want a bigger place sooner rather than later.

Keep in mind, just because you qualify for a 1 bedroom does not mean that one is necessarily available now or anytime soon in the building where you are now. Nor does it necessarily mean you get to go to the front of the line for a 1 bedroom there or anywhere else. I could be wrong in all of these cases.

If you live in a big building or development that could improve your chance of getting a larger place there. But, I suspect there is no obligation to upgrade your household at another lottery building. Each lottery is its own end.

Good luck.

Thank you for these tips. Will move forward with contacting someone within the government. Oddly never thought of that. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2023, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyc1 View Post
Thank you for these tips. Will move forward with contacting someone within the government. Oddly never thought of that. Thanks!
I think Gale Brewer is the City Councilor for the area. But, you might need to speak to NYS government too. I suspect you will need patience and time to make progress, and will likely be asked lots of questions. I could believe it if building management might not know the answer to scenario. Good luck.

Old 03-20-2023, 06:51 PM

Housing Ambassadors
https://www.nyc.gov/site/hpd/service...bassadors.page

Old 03-20-2023, 07:51 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyc1 View Post
Hi All!

I was lucky enough to get into a Housing Lottery apartment in 2020 and since then my house size has changed. I’ve reached out to building management a few times and they continue to give me a run around about how they are NOT allowing transfers to bigger units and I’d have to apply to other openings.

When I originally moved in I was approved for a 1 bedroom, but was told I could only move into a studio being that was all that was available at the time. I was told I’d be placed on a waiting list… but I haven’t heard anything in regards to it whenever I reach out.

Has this happened to anyone? And if so what steps did you go to to access a bigger apartment? I went from single, to married, to us planning for a child and a studio space isn’t cutting it any more.

I’ve been told to reach out to HPD or the company that contacted me about this apartment but I always get routed back to building management.

Is there any legality into staying in a studio if my housing has changed? are they required to provide a bigger unit if so? I’m very confused at this process and feel like I’m being bounced around with no clear answers.
Queries regarding internal transfer of lottery apartments has been asked previously four thousand ways from Sunday in this forum.

General response is that there is not any sort of formal written process either from city or landlords regarding such requests. Thus things come down to what they do in any other RS apartment, tenants may request a "transfer" to a larger, cheaper, or whatever unit, but LL is not under any obligation or requirement to say "yes".

Some posters have stated they made requests for internal transfers and it was granted. Others like yourself were given run around, brushed off or otherwise got no where.

https://www.google.com/search?client...h=730&dpr=1.23

As for "legality" of your tenancy as a three person household, yes it is perfectly legal. Couples with infants or even small children have lived and still live in studio apartments.

"New York City's Administrative Code Section 27-2075 governs how many people you can have per square feet in an apartment, but the law allows for a lot of people. Generally, the rule is 80 square feet per person. (Note, an 8x10 room is 80 square feet.)"

"(1) Every person occupying an apartment in a class A or class B multiple dwelling or in a tenant-occupied apartment in a one- or two-family dwelling shall have a livable area of not less than eighty square feet. The maximum number of persons who may occupy any such apartment shall be determined by dividing the total livable floor area of the apartment by eighty square feet. For every two persons who may lawfully occupy an apartment, one child under four may also reside therein, except that a child under four is permitted in an apartment lawfully occupied by one person. No residual floor area of less than eighty square feet shall be counted in determining the maximum permitted occupancy for such apartment.
The floor area of a kitchen or kitchenette shall be included in measuring the total liveable floor area of an apartment but the floor area for private halls, foyers, bathrooms or water closets shall be excluded."

https://www.apartmentlawinsider.com/...0square%20feet.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: