Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2023, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 719 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone!
I have been trying to look for the answer but I guess I'll have more luck here. When someone leaves, does that apartment become available at the same rate or is it released at actual price? Ej: person vacated apartment they paid 900 a month for. Does the apartment become available for same price for someone to apply who meets the income requirement and where would I find out and how would I apply if so? or do they just release it as a 3k-a-month (hypothetical price) apartment, meaning the same as everyone else pays?

I totally missed out on the deadline for The Suffolk cuz my phone alarm didn't work and missed it by one day. I know it is unlikely for these apartment to become available ever again but I know of other buildings that have the configuration I am looking for. I don't lose anything by asking.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 05:53 PM

957 posts, read 935,859 times
Whoever is next in line is waitlist gets called.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:18 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,451,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGabZ View Post
Hi, everyone!
I have been trying to look for the answer but I guess I'll have more luck here. When someone leaves, does that apartment become available at the same rate or is it released at actual price? Ej: person vacated apartment they paid 900 a month for. Does the apartment become available for same price for someone to apply who meets the income requirement and where would I find out and how would I apply if so? or do they just release it as a 3k-a-month (hypothetical price) apartment, meaning the same as everyone else pays?

I totally missed out on the deadline for The Suffolk cuz my phone alarm didn't work and missed it by one day. I know it is unlikely for these apartment to become available ever again but I know of other buildings that have the configuration I am looking for. I don't lose anything by asking.

Thanks!
The apartment becomes available at the original AMI, likely not the original rent unless it's been less than a year because AMIs change (usually go up) every year. Say someone lived there 10 years and then left, they would re-fill it at a rent as high as the current max for that AMI bracket which could be a decent increase in rent from the final rent of the prior tenant, depending on how fast AMI and RGB rents have risen since. They fill the available units from the original waitlist and then post waitlist lotteries once they exhaust the original waitlist.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:38 PM

2,027 posts, read 1,642,464 times
‘4-4 Re-Rentals and Resales‘, page 26 of the Handbook, available online. In some circumstances a mini lottery is used. Check your HC profile to be sure you have signed up for mini lotteries.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:44 PM

2,027 posts, read 1,642,464 times
Default Don’t Wait to Enter. It’s Luck.

There is absolutely no advantage to waiting until the last day to enter one of these HC2 lotteries. Or waiting for some special time to enter the lottery. If you like the lottery enter it right away so you don’t miss the deadline. Likewise, they don’t allow paper applications or online applications to have any advantage in the luck of the lottery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGabZ View Post
Hi, everyone!

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2023, 08:25 AM

3,139 posts, read 2,733,403 times
”Say someone lived there 10 years and then left, they would re-fill it at a rent as high as the current max for that AMI bracket which could be a decent increase in rent from the final rent of the prior tenant, depending on how fast AMI and RGB rents have risen since.”

Most of these units are regular rent-stabilized units. That means that, as with other apartments, the rent will increase only in accordance with the prescribed RGB increases. It doesn't ”reset” when the unit turns over.

There are a few developments which are RS ”like” rather than actually RS for which there may be some other mechanism of setting successor rent.

Old 04-17-2023, 12:12 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,451,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
”Say someone lived there 10 years and then left, they would re-fill it at a rent as high as the current max for that AMI bracket which could be a decent increase in rent from the final rent of the prior tenant, depending on how fast AMI and RGB rents have risen since.”

Most of these units are regular rent-stabilized units. That means that, as with other apartments, the rent will increase only in accordance with the prescribed RGB increases. It doesn't ”reset” when the unit turns over.

There are a few developments which are RS ”like” rather than actually RS for which there may be some other mechanism of setting successor rent.
Interesting, this would be good for tenants I guess. So a new tenant would have to qualify under the current year income guidelines (almost definitely now significantly higher than the original tenant's income limit) but the rent would only have increased by the RGB's rates over that time and the rent could not be reset up to the new max rent at that AMI? Seems like the gap between income requirements and rent could grow quite large over time with the units getting relatively cheaper since AMIs have increased faster than rent guidelines, at least recently. Seems like an odd system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery