Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2023, 08:15 AM

116 posts, read 70,522 times

Advertisements

Hello, We have been called to submit papers for the Astoria West building that looks amazinggg!! The bad news is we would prefer the 2 bedroom, and the only have large 1 bedrooms available (which would still work the 2 bedroom is just a preference) but they said if interested in the 2 bedroom they could just waitlist us for one.

What do you guys think? Is it too risky to be waitlisted and never called and go forward with the large 1 bedroom? Any advice can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 09:30 AM

1,723 posts, read 1,478,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgome013 View Post
Hello, We have been called to submit papers for the Astoria West building that looks amazinggg!! The bad news is we would prefer the 2 bedroom, and the only have large 1 bedrooms available (which would still work the 2 bedroom is just a preference) but they said if interested in the 2 bedroom they could just waitlist us for one.

What do you guys think? Is it too risky to be waitlisted and never called and go forward with the large 1 bedroom? Any advice can help!
Can you accept the 1br and stay on a waitlist for a 2br? It could be a year or more if the 2brs are full and you'd be waiting for someone to move out. If this is possible, I'd probably take the 1br and you can see if you really like the building, area etc. and then upgrade when possible.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:00 AM

47 posts, read 85,094 times
Personally, I would contact the management and ask them questions such as: how long is the wait list so far; how long will I have to wait for an answer if I decide to go on the wait list; what are my chances of ever being called from the wait list for this particular building; how many people are ahead of me for the 2-bed; if I take the 1-bed now would I have the opportunity to transfer to a 2-bed apt when it becomes available even if it is in one month after signing the lease or am I locked into the yearly lease; are there any fees associated with an apt transfer besides rent difference; are there any fees associated with breaking the lease, etc, etc, etc. I would base my decision on the answers the management would give me.

These kinds of things vary from one building to another and ultimately the best answer you will receive on a public forum is "it depends." Some people prefer the bird in the hand versus the two in the forest. Other people prefer to risk it in the hopes that their desired apt will materialize. For some it does materialize, but for others it doesn't. Good luck deciding!

Old 04-18-2023, 11:36 AM

6,695 posts, read 6,053,501 times
Waitlist is basically a rejection. Never ever depend on a waitlist.

Old 04-18-2023, 11:44 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,913,387 times
take the 1 bedroom and call it George

Old 04-18-2023, 11:51 AM

2,060 posts, read 1,675,850 times
Someplace in the Handbook it’s says they are obligated to inform you of any AVAILABLE units that you qualify for. FYI.

If you like the 1 bedroom you toured then take it. Once you are a resident ask about internal transfer but don’t count on it happening. Consider how much $ you will save (if any) and the insulation against large rent increases, and the certainty of getting a renewal.

Old 04-18-2023, 11:53 AM

885 posts, read 1,379,182 times
Ditto to what Linamonroll typed! I think it's too risky to just be added to a waitlist that may take years to move, especially if you have a need to move now. If I were in your situation, I'd take the one bedroom and ask the management office to put me on an internal waitlist to transfer to a 2 bedroom upgrade when one's available (providing that they do that, my current building does and I'm currently in a 1 bdrm as well as on the internal transfer list for a 2 bdrm.) Good luck with your decision!

Old 04-18-2023, 12:06 PM

421 posts, read 234,921 times
Default Maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Waitlist is basically a rejection. Never ever depend on a waitlist.
I've shared this truth many times. Called for a 1 BR. The day before the showing they said only studios available. We can waitlist. I said no studio, yes waitlist. A few weeks later I got the 1 BR I currently live in.
An intelligent question may be: Are you still in initial lease up or pretty much occupied?
You seem to be OK with a big 1 BR. As AMI's have shrunk, competition is sitffer. I'd grab it.

Old 04-18-2023, 01:29 PM

116 posts, read 70,522 times
Thank you guys, I like this building too much to not take the large 1 bedroom.

I will def take it to be safe if offered! thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery