Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 11:21 AM

453 posts, read 498,276 times

Advertisements

Not for me - tbh I could tell they literally didn't even read my complaint, just copied and pasted what the agency wrote, in direct contradiction of the marketing handbook (which I had quoted in my complaint to prove that it wasn't followed) then had the audacity to tell me to read the marketing handbook!

Unfortunately there are a lot of people working for the city who are woefully underpaid and just can't be bothered to do their job with any level of effort or competence (friend works there so she confirmed this stuff).

Left a very bad taste in my mouth but we got into another lottery in the end that actually was a way better location and cheaper / better building so all worked out ok in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 06:16 PM

19 posts, read 15,096 times
I emailed a complaint to HPD and they told me to submit my complaint through the portal. I’m confused when the handbook says you have to email them your complaint. There’s also nowhere to submit a complaint on your application?

Old 04-25-2023, 07:27 PM

180 posts, read 121,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgia View Post
I emailed a complaint to HPD and they told me to submit my complaint through the portal. I’m confused when the handbook says you have to email them your complaint. There’s also nowhere to submit a complaint on your application?

the complaint is on the actual application after you were rejected twice the last option is to complain.

Old 04-25-2023, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
Not for me - tbh I could tell they literally didn't even read my complaint, just copied and pasted what the agency wrote, in direct contradiction of the marketing handbook (which I had quoted in my complaint to prove that it wasn't followed) then had the audacity to tell me to read the marketing handbook!

Unfortunately there are a lot of people working for the city who are woefully underpaid and just can't be bothered to do their job with any level of effort or competence (friend works there so she confirmed this stuff).

Left a very bad taste in my mouth but we got into another lottery in the end that actually was a way better location and cheaper / better building so all worked out ok in the end.

same!!! they didn't read my appeal and i was rejected seconds after both appeal, the last draw is HPD complaint after the rejection. so your saying HPD sided with the agency why you were rejected? i am loosing hope too , i am sensing income discrimination at this point, everything HPD claims they are against.

Old 04-25-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by affordablekeisha View Post
the complaint is on the actual application after you were rejected twice the last option is to complain.
Theres no option to file a complaint on the application for me. All i see on the tabs is household / documents / appeal / comments / contact

https://imgur.com/a/dwZldz1

Old 04-25-2023, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Theres no option to file a complaint on the application for me. All i see on the tabs is household / documents / appeal / comments / contact

https://imgur.com/a/dwZldz1

Were you initially rejected for a unit? that is when you can appeal/complain to hpd via portal.

Old 04-25-2023, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Were you initially rejected for a unit? that is when you can appeal/complain to hpd via portal.
Yes, i was rejected, then i submitted an appeal on the 'appeal' tab. my appeal was 'in process' for about two weeks and then went back to 'in process' for another 2 weeks. then they rejected me again and i submitted the 'appeal' again on the same appeal tab. I've never seen a complaint tab.

Old 04-25-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Yes, i was rejected, then i submitted an appeal on the 'appeal' tab. my appeal was 'in process' for about two weeks and then went back to 'in process' for another 2 weeks. then they rejected me again and i submitted the 'appeal' again on the same appeal tab. I've never seen a complaint tab.

there should have been a option after the last rejection to complain to HPD ... and you would have been given 5 days to do so... there is a chance maybe you missed that window period.

Old 04-25-2023, 08:03 PM

Quote:
there should have been a option after the last rejection to complain to HPD ... and you would have been given 5 days to do so... there is a chance maybe you missed that window period.
My application now says appeal under review. I also never received an actual rejection letter.

Old 04-26-2023, 11:19 AM

453 posts, read 498,276 times
Quote:
same!!! they didn't read my appeal and i was rejected seconds after both appeal, the last draw is HPD complaint after the rejection. so your saying HPD sided with the agency why you were rejected? i am loosing hope too , i am sensing income discrimination at this point, everything HPD claims they are against.
So, the marketing handbook says something along the lines of the agency having to work with tenants and help them through the process and so on.

In my case, everything was in line (salary etc), I think one single document out of 23 or so didn't upload properly, and even though I asked the agency to check everything was ok before the deadline they refused. So it was an oversight. All of a sudden "boom! Rejected, you missed the deadline, one piece of paper was missing", even though I had tried my best and in good faith, uploaded everything again for the appeal and so on - again, appeal wasn't read, just a copy paste and ditto on to the HPD people. Absolute joke of a system with seemingly zero oversight from the top.

I've been though the process several times before and every other agency works with you to draw attention to missing docs, give you extra chances to submit and do everything in their power to help you through the process and be communicative and heplful (as they are supposed to).

As for the people who neglected to do their jobs - may a bird poo on them every day forever. Depressing that such corruption can flourish.

But yes - thankfully for me it worked out in the end and it was one dodgy building who acted this way to tons of other people in the lottery as well. Hope your appeal goes better than mine did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: