Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 05:05 PM

603 posts, read 601,179 times

Advertisements

Just want to say - I am "Nana"(way younger Nana) in this situation - 3bed,2bath I am staying until the end and passing it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 05:07 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,865,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dime99 View Post
Just want to say - I am "Nana"(way younger Nana) in this situation - 3bed,2bath I am staying until the end and passing it down.
Good for you!

Old 07-12-2023, 05:23 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,865,118 times
Had a coworker from a few years ago that moved back to her childhood home. I know it was at least two bedrooms in the vicinity of 77th & 3rd. She told me it was rent stabilized but wouldn’t say how much her rent was, she was “too embarrassed to say” her words.

Never envied her though, at the time I lived in two bedroom Brownstone in Sunset Park with an in ground pool in the backyard. Landlord was a retired firefighter and owned two houses next to each other. My best friend and I were paying $750 a month ($375 each) we knew it was cheap and so did he, but he cared more about having good tenants than $$$) I miss those days and rents, Sunset Park not so much.

Anyone fortunate to have that good for them especially with these rents.

Old 07-12-2023, 06:36 PM

31,926 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dime99 View Post
IIRC your situation isn't NYCHA but lottery RS unit.

If this is correct then while a RS does come with succession rights for eligible persons it can only be used once. Anyone else trying that move afterwards must sign a new lease and all that goes with process. From said new lease unit may have another succession but it's lather, rinse and repeat.

Other matter is if building in question provides permanent affordable housing or only for certain time period until benefit agreement expires (usually between 30 and 35 years). If former then unit remains under RS in perpetuity (unless laws are changed in future), however for latter once apartments are eligible to leave RS (and do), then obviously succession no longer is possible.

Old 07-12-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
Had a coworker from a few years ago that moved back to her childhood home. I know it was at least two bedrooms in the vicinity of 77th & 3rd. She told me it was rent stabilized but wouldn’t say how much her rent was, she was “too embarrassed to say” her words.

Never envied her though, at the time I lived in two bedroom Brownstone in Sunset Park with an in ground pool in the backyard. Landlord was a retired firefighter and owned two houses next to each other. My best friend and I were paying $750 a month ($375 each) we knew it was cheap and so did he, but he cared more about having good tenants than $$$) I miss those days and rents, Sunset Park not so much.

Anyone fortunate to have that good for them especially with these rents.
If on avenue between 76th and 77th and Third that entire block was long since demolished. Northwell (owner of Lenox Hill hospital on Lexington and 77th) is building a huge medical complex on site.

https://patch.com/new-york/upper-eas...rthwell-health

Old 07-12-2023, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutrientRich View Post
Not against anyone personally, it's unfair and wasteful that NaNa gets to keep her subsidized 3 bedroom (nycha, 421a lottery, voucher, whatever) when the kids move out and its just her.
Also how these subsidized units get passed down to relatives, almost like private property they stay in the family. Forever.
Maybe I'm wrong and that's not how it works.
NYCHA and city in general are their own worst enemies. One or both constantly moan about lack of affordable housing in particular a resource city controls (NYCHA), but both back down usually from any or all proposals to rectify situations.

For most part downsizing as originally announced or envisioned by NYCHA never happened. Media portrayed it as forcing poor frail seniors out of their large units into smaller ones which would have negative impact.

https://www.qchron.com/editions/quee...c89a6fd4b.html

https://www.nyc.gov/assets/nycha/dow...SUCCESSION.pdf

https://gothamist.com/news/nycha-try...ller-apartment

For record it isn't just NYCHA, but nearly every sort of public housing world over has same issue. People who moved into "family sized" units decades ago now rambling about in those large apartments as seniors. Meanwhile modern young families with two or more children must make due with one bedroom or smaller units because supply of larger units just isn't available.

Many of these seniors in large apartments treat all that extra space as their God given due. Spare bedrooms become computer rooms, dens, guest bedrooms for visiting family/friends, even rented out for income. Thus all public housing authorities can do is simply wait for old person to die, but that's not end of things by a long shot.

Usually a family member or someone who can be claimed as such for succession rights will move into said large public housing unit. Once older person does die it then becomes a battle over what happens with said apartment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/12/n...g-problem.html

https://www.nycourts.gov/Reporter/3d...2022_51154.htm

Last edited by BugsyPal; 07-12-2023 at 06:56 PM..

Old 07-12-2023, 09:08 PM

112 posts, read 98,235 times
Well I think there are two important questions regarding nana. 1. Is there even a smaller apartment available for downsizing in the same area? 2. Who is going to pay to relocate and move a senior citizen to another apartment? That’s borderline unethical if you think a person in their 80s should be forced to move to a new apartment (maybe even in a whole different AND foot the bill for it.) Besides, a lot of these apartments are extremely old and falling apart anyway, why do you care enough to even ask this question when so many new buildings are going up all around the city?

Life isn’t fair and that’s how it is. Truth of the the matter is that no one is OWED rent stabilized housing. Just because you had three kids now you wanna kick nana out lmaoooo.

Old 07-12-2023, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citygirlie View Post
Well I think there are two important questions regarding nana. 1. Is there even a smaller apartment available for downsizing in the same area? 2. Who is going to pay to relocate and move a senior citizen to another apartment? That’s borderline unethical if you think a person in their 80s should be forced to move to a new apartment (maybe even in a whole different AND foot the bill for it.) Besides, a lot of these apartments are extremely old and falling apart anyway, why do you care enough to even ask this question when so many new buildings are going up all around the city?

Life isn’t fair and that’s how it is. Truth of the the matter is that no one is OWED rent stabilized housing. Just because you had three kids now you wanna kick nana out lmaoooo.
You cannot compare NYCHA housing and "affordable" or "low income" lottery housing.

Unless there is some special arrangement NYCHA bases rent on income. Whereas lottery housing is usually always RS.

With RS lottery units tenants may start out paying only "X" amount of total monthly income towards rent, but there is no guarantee that ratio will remain constant. If household income decreases and or monthly rent increases beyond certain limits renter or renters in question don't have many options; they must either pay legal rent or bust a move.

OTOH NYCHA tenants see their rent adjusted in relation to household income. If household income decreases, so does rent.

For low and even some moderate income households NYCHA is far better bet on average than RS.

Things are different if someone is RS but say they have any of various vouchers, building has agreement with city or something that limits tenant's out of pocket rent increases to "X" with government picking up any excess.

Old 07-12-2023, 10:27 PM

112 posts, read 98,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You cannot compare NYCHA housing and "affordable" or "low income" lottery housing.

Unless there is some special arrangement NYCHA bases rent on income. Whereas lottery housing is usually always RS.

With RS lottery units tenants may start out paying only "X" amount of total monthly income towards rent, but there is no guarantee that ratio will remain constant. If household income decreases and or monthly rent increases beyond certain limits renter or renters in question don't have many options; they must either pay legal rent or bust a move.

OTOH NYCHA tenants see their rent adjusted in relation to household income. If household income decreases, so does rent.

For low and even some moderate income households NYCHA is far better bet on average than RS.

Things are different if someone is RS but say they have any of various vouchers, building has agreement with city or something that limits tenant's out of pocket rent increases to "X" with government picking up any excess.
Well OP, lumped all these apartment types together - NYCHA, 421a etc. My point was that in theory a single person shouldn’t have a three bedroom apartment. But in actuality, it’s not really practical to spend money, time and effort moving a senior citizen who might live with a caregiver, or a family member or spouse from a three bed down to a two bedroom. I think there would be ethical concerns regarding that.

I think a better focus would be on the million+ current vacant apartments in the city and how those could be utilized for people looking for housing. You know instead of focusing on Nana’s 100 year old apartment lol.

Old 07-13-2023, 07:20 AM

603 posts, read 601,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
IIRC your situation isn't NYCHA but lottery RS unit.

If this is correct then while a RS does come with succession rights for eligible persons it can only be used once. Anyone else trying that move afterwards must sign a new lease and all that goes with process. From said new lease unit may have another succession but it's lather, rinse and repeat.

Other matter is if building in question provides permanent affordable housing or only for certain time period until benefit agreement expires (usually between 30 and 35 years). If former then unit remains under RS in perpetuity (unless laws are changed in future), however for latter once apartments are eligible to leave RS (and do), then obviously succession no longer is possible.
FYI - additional info on the 35 year tax abatement agreement:

"Generally, in buildings where construction began on or after June 30, 2008, those apartments in 421-a buildings designated as “Affordable” units must remain rent stabilized for 35 years, even if a tenant vacates and a new tenant moves into the apartment. Tenants in occupancy at the end of the 35 year period remain under rent stabilization until they vacate the apartment."

Seems like, as long as the last tenant is paying the rent and not moving out - they can stay past 35 years while still being rent stabilized.

Souce: https://hcr.ny.gov/system/files/docu...41-07-2022.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery