Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2023, 11:41 AM

111 posts, read 72,423 times

Advertisements

Hi, so I just got called for a lottery apartment. The representative for the development informed me that one of the rules that will be included in the lease, is that can’t have more than 2 guests visit you in your apartment at once. For the people that acquired a lottery apartment, have you heard of any such rule?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2023, 12:11 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,449,050 times
Never heard of such a rule, sounds like a shelter tbh. How would they even enforce that?

I've seen limits on how many guests you can bring to amenity spaces, fees for day passes for guests at the gym or pool etc. but nothing on limits in the apartment. They can have regulations on noise, quiet hours etc. but I don't see how they can keep you from having a handful of people over for dinner or something like that. You'll have to see what the actual language in the lease is and perhaps consult a housing/tenant attorney if you are concerned about signing it.

Old 08-21-2023, 12:28 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
Yes, linamonroll raises a good point: Is this building "supportive housing"? In that case, services would be provided for people, such as counseling, and rules can be enacted to keep the building quiet and orderly.

Otherwise, I have never heard of such a thing, and I doubt it is legal.

Old 08-21-2023, 12:40 PM

It’s affordable mixed with regular market value apartments. Maybe she meant guests visiting the amenities. Because that’s just odd. I’ll find out during the lease signing but I’ll ask for clarity before…

Also do you know if lotteries allow you to upgrade your units for ex. If I was assigned a studio and at the time my lease was ending, someone else decides not to renew their lease for their 1 bedroom apartment in the same AMI etc. ?

Old 08-21-2023, 12:43 PM

268 posts, read 305,216 times
Also do you know if lotteries allow you to upgrade your units for ex. If I was assigned a studio and at the time my lease was ending, someone else decides not to renew their lease for their 1 bedroom apartment in the same AMI etc. ?[/quote]

I think it depends on the management team for the building. If you see re-rentals for your building, you might be able to switch. Some buildings might have an internal waitlist.

Old 08-21-2023, 02:48 PM

Makes sense. I was contacted for a studio, but it is very, very tiny. I’m grateful and I’ll have to pay 2 rents for 3 months. But it’s so hard out here.

Old 08-21-2023, 02:58 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,731,547 times
If it's "supportive housing," make sure you understand ALL the rules applying to your unit. I still remember that poor lady who signed a lease in a supportive building only to find that the rules were quite restrictive (e.g., people had to sign in and out). She was miserable.

Old 08-21-2023, 04:17 PM

I read the lottery positing carefully. It didn’t say Supportive. But I do see one on HC that does, I think it’s Help something.

Old 08-22-2023, 08:21 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,862,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenjen23 View Post
Also do you know if lotteries allow you to upgrade your units for ex. If I was assigned a studio and at the time my lease was ending, someone else decides not to renew their lease for their 1 bedroom apartment in the same AMI etc. ?
I think it depends on the management team for the building. If you see re-rentals for your building, you might be able to switch. Some buildings might have an internal waitlist.[/quote]

Depends on the building, check with management.

My apartment before the one I'm in did not allow this unless you were middle income and in good standing.

Current building does not allow upgrades at all and apparently there is no waitlist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery