Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2023, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,696 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been in my lottery for 6-7 months now. When I applied for my one bedroom unit (over 18 months ago!) I did so on my own and did not have any intention in living with my partner at that time.

My partner's lease is now up in a few months and we have been discussing that we are wanting to live together!

I have scoured the threads in this forum and am getting so many conflicting answers and resources.

Is there any legal law/regulation that states that a tenant can or cannot add in an occupant after certifying for a RS lottery apartment? If we can, would they need to certify for the unit with me?

My lease says that "the property should only be occupied by the signed tenant (me)" however right after it also says "any additional occupants must be notified in writing to the managing company before occupancy". Which is telling me that I can't move them in.... but I also can?

Essentially to be very candid, I don't want to ask if it's going to be a hard no AND it's going to put my unit in jeopardy. Some people on this forum are saying yes, some are saying no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 05:30 PM

188 posts, read 136,773 times
If I were you I wouldn’t tell them anything. I have a friend that had her partner move in and didn’t say anything and they never asked either. It’s not like they pay attention to who walks in every apartment and watch how long they stay there. When she had to do her lease renewal she also did not mention that he was living with her so that she is not found ineligible or her rent get increased.

Old 09-05-2023, 07:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,461 times
"Should" is not equal to "Must".

Landlords are not legally allowed to deny a tenant a roommate, but they can legally deny your initial application based on household size. It's definitely a gray area which I've also been unable to find concrete answers to as to whether the roommate law (235-f) applies to housing lottery applications. My interpretation of the regulation is that the roommate law applies to 3rd party developed housing lotteries, as the landlords are 3rd party developers and not the government. I believe there is more scrutiny over housing lotteries that are funded entirely by the government, and it may apply during income recertification. 3rd party developed housing lotteries on the other hand are not affected by income recertification as it has been acknowledged that an increase in income outside of your initial lottery AMI application will not result in you losing your won apartment.

Per the Tenants Right's handbook of NYC:
"
It is unlawful for a landlord to restrict occupancy of an apartment to the named tenant in the lease or to that tenant and immediate family. When the lease names only one tenant, that tenant may share the apartment with immediate family, one additional occupant and the occupant’s dependent children, provided that the tenant or the tenant’s spouse occupies the premises as their primary residence. When the lease names more than one tenant, these tenants may share their apartment with immediate family, and, if one of the tenants named in the lease moves out, that tenant may be replaced with another occupant and the dependent children of the occupant. At least one of the tenants named in the lease or that tenant’s spouse must occupy the shared apartment as a primary residence.

A tenant must inform the landlords of the name of any occupant within 30 days after the occupant has moved into the apartment or within 30 days of a landlord’s request for this information. If the tenant named in the lease moves out, the remaining occupant has no right to continue in occupancy without the landlord’s express consent.
"

Take the above with a grain of salt as I am not a lawyer, and perhaps consult a real estate attorney if you need further clarity.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:35 AM

47 posts, read 62,761 times
Currently in a lottery unit and had the same question - asked my management and they said that you cannot add a legal occupant to the unit until after the first year of occupancy. I asked about the roommate law where it says you have the right to a roommate, but they said income qualified affordable housing has regulations above and beyond a regular rent stabilized unit.

After you live there for a year, you should have no issues adding them, they just don’t want you to add them immediately as that would seem like you’re skirting around the household members when you applied

Old 09-27-2023, 11:42 AM

3,130 posts, read 2,724,468 times
Not your lawyer. Roommate law applies. They are required to let you add one roommate. However, they are not required to put them on the lease unless you marry. Roommate does not need to certify income. You cannot lose your lease just for requesting to add a roommate, even if for some reason the request is permissibly denied. Your rent will not be increased just for adding an occupant (though it will be increased in accordance with RGB guidelines every year, of course).

If you bring in a roommate very early on, there is some possibility that you would be investigated for defrauding the lottery. We don't have any actual reports of this happening (I think), but there's no reason it couldn't and you can understand why there'd be concern that the protection of the roommate law might be abused as a loophole to get in a pre-existing household that wouldn't have qualified at the time of certification. For that reason, I agree with the advice to wait at least a year after moving in before having a roommate/partner move in, to minimize any appearance of fraud.

Having an occupant who the landlord hasn't been notified of likely *is* a violation of your lease. Therefore (assuming you didn't commit fraud in the first place), it's actually *more* risky not to notify the landlord than to do so. It also means your partner is excluded from any possibility of succession rights, which may not seem important now but might matter a lot down the line.

Old 09-27-2023, 01:00 PM

4,766 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Read your lease and see if there’s anything in there about a roommate. I bet there is.

Old 10-03-2023, 08:37 AM

411 posts, read 227,860 times
Stick with the room mate addition. Think VERY carefully about adding to the lease. If the relationship is shorter than your occupancy of the unit, it will be a hot and sticky situation.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:01 AM

38 posts, read 34,824 times
any update on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery