Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 07:28 AM

15 posts, read 8,687 times

Advertisements

best counter case i’ve been able to find

couldn’t get through on their helpline yesterday, gonna try them again next week to better understand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2023, 08:41 AM

5,665 posts, read 2,607,361 times
You haven't even been accepted and are arguing with random people on a forum that you should be allowed after you were told no.
Hope the building see this post, as they do come on this forum and disqualify you.

Old 09-16-2023, 09:25 AM

2,015 posts, read 1,633,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenbybix View Post
best counter case i’ve been able to find

couldn’t get through on their helpline yesterday, gonna try them again next week to better understand
Yes, the Met Council does valuable work. The helpline is just a single example. No doubt their helpline is useful to persons with ACTUAL problems in real time, your problem is a hypothetical because you have not received an offer. Please consider if they are economical with their time with you.

Old 09-16-2023, 07:38 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,882,405 times
you don't even have the unit. what's REALLY goin on? you wanna turn it into a Airbnb, charge more than what u would actually pay, so u can make residual income, while you stay somewhere else? mm-hmm

Old 09-16-2023, 08:11 PM

5,665 posts, read 2,607,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
you don't even have the unit. what's REALLY goin on? you wanna turn it into a Airbnb, charge more than what u would actually pay, so u can make residual income, while you stay somewhere else? mm-hmm
Looks like OP is talking about 325 KENT Lottery

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...mbers-out.html

Old 09-19-2023, 11:27 AM

15 posts, read 8,687 times
are you kidding me? y'all are jumping down my throat for asking a hypothetical concerning a lease? what's the problem here? you instantly assume i'm trying to do the worst thing possible, but i'm simply trying to better understand this situation - it's not like landlords and property managers don't take advantage of people all the time. it's almost like that's WHY there is a housing lottery and affordable housing, to provide renters with more stability and power in this incredibly exploitative construct we all have to deal with. but no, it's wrong of me to try and understand this BEFORE i sign any binding documents. smh.

have you never needed to leave town for a month to take care of family? leave for a month for work? good for you! subletting is a right to the rest of everyone in ny state for a gd reason, so people can have more reasonable flexibility and protection, not to mention the housing you have can be used while you're away and it's not just another empty apartment during a housing crisis.

tell me there isn't inconsistent information on this around lottery units (you can even look at other posts here wondering about the same thing). tell me it's not strange that if you are offered affordable housing, you lose rights to one of the aspects that makes it more financially feasible living here long-term when you need to be out of town for a short period of time. crucify me for thinking those things are strange and asking about it.

there's nothing about profiting off this for me (there are literally laws that restrict how much you can charge a sublease in a rent-controlled unit), i'm not trying to exploit this wonderful opportunity i could be offered. so thanks for trying to dox me for asking a pretty reasonable question. why do you even bother? don't you have better things to do with your time?

a genuine thank you to the people who have tried to be helpful to someone trying to better inform themselves.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:42 PM

76 posts, read 41,151 times
Quote:
have you never needed to leave town for a month to take care of family? leave for a month for work?
If you're likely to face them, these are valid situations to consider before signing any lease in any city. AirBnB has really ruined the entire concept of subletting, and people tend to assume the worst intentions.

For work travel, does your employer or client pay for accommodation elsewhere? If so, maybe think of your rent as 'reimbursed' or 'covered' by work. Similar to if you leased a car but your work provided you with a rental or company car (you wouldn't seek to sublease what's sitting at home).

If your employer doesn't pay, are you paying for a hotel, sublet, or short-term lease? Or staying for free with someone? If this happens several months per year, consider the tax paper trail of not living/working in the city or state--there's likely a minimum required to continue qualifying for the apartment.

Realistically, for family care, would you know far enough in advance to arrange a sublet? Would it have definitive start and end dates? Would you be able to register with the city in time? (per the new laws) Seems unlikely. If it's planned months in advance, maybe it'd be fine for a family member or close friend stay for free in lieu of a graduation or wedding gift, for example.

TL;DR: Honestly, it's best to think of--and plan for--rent as a sunk annual cost. (And, yes, everyone here appreciates that it's a huge one!)

Old 09-19-2023, 05:01 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,633,619 times
Quote:
you instantly assume i'm trying to do the worst thing possible, but i'm simply trying to better understand this situation

subletting is a right to the rest of everyone in ny state for a gd reason,
Sorry you got your feelings hurt. Unfortunately, some building management and agents might think even worse of you if you ask too many questions about sublets when it’s says there are no sublets. Be a bit concerned amount giving them a reason to search for flaws in your paperwork so they can reject you.

Outright prohibitions, limitations, and various restrictions on subletting in NY state are very common for co-ops and rentals, perhaps condos too. This is true of both market rate housing and income restricted housing. So, your statement about it being a right of the rest of everyone is could be better expressed.

I hope you get to choose or refuse this studio. You’ll likely have to sign paperwork saying more or less it is your permanent full time home. Be prepared to demonstrate that it is your home going forward.

Before you sublet on any lease you signed, assuming that is allowed, consider the many risks you are taking. You’ll still pay the rent, it will be your task to collect rent from the sublet tenant. If the rent is late or missing whatever consequences will land on you. If the sublet tenant causes damage, the landlord is not going to go after them, the landlord is going to go after you.

Old 09-20-2023, 06:38 AM

65 posts, read 38,725 times
I'm just guessing but likely the reason you can't sublet it is because it's income based, not a traditional rent stabilized apartment which is not income based. The rates you get as a tenant with 40% AMI is going to be different than the rates for someone who makes 80% AMI. In addition - these types of apartments have to go through HPD in a more regulated way than a traditional rent stabilized apartment. So how would they even calculate the rent for your subletter? Would you only find a subletter who is also at 40% AMI? And then the overworked and likely underpaid HPD officer has to now go through all their paperwork for a two month sublet? What if your subletter makes 120% AMI? Does the rent change for that or is a program meant to help those with 40% AMI go to help someone who can likely afford to pay more?

But just know, even if you live in a place that does take accept subletters - the landlord can find a reason to deny them. And you can take the landlord to court if it's an unjust reason but housing court takes months if you're lucky...sometimes years. And during this time the rent still has to be paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: