Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2023, 09:06 PM

8 posts, read 4,783 times

Advertisements

Guys, so long story short I thought I got approved for the apartment, but I was denied because of my income. Which was untrue because they are confusing loan I received for income. I called the agent to explain the situation, the agent was very dismissive, saying I got denied. I I filed an appeal which I received the notification today saying got declined again. I’m so upset and frustrated because I know I qualify for the Apartment. I wrote a very long worded strong letter to H DC, explaining the situation, and the reasons why I got that loan stating that I had received the loan from a situation I have and that is not no form of income. I had my attorney write a letter stating that that’s not a form of income, it was due to hardship, I need an advice should I keep fighting? Should I give up? I’m so confused. I don’t know how this processes there’s no really much feedback once you reach an appeal. Reaching HDC is impossible. Any advices? Any prior experiences share your story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2023, 09:26 PM

2,044 posts, read 1,659,222 times
If you took a distribution from a retirement account that might be counted as Income. In many cases, it’s subject to tax.

Hardship or not, if this loan has to be recorded on your income tax returns that might be a red flag.

Check the documents below if you did, or if you did not take a distribution from a retirement account. The docs might reveal or suggest why the decision was made the way it was.

Seems like talking with a CPA might be useful.

Call 311, the Mayor’s Office, City Councilor etc. Explain you really believe the decision is not correct, briefly, and you seek to bring the matter to a higher authority for clarification.

https://www.nychdc.com/sites/default...me%20Guide.pdf

See Table of Contents on Income
https://www.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...g-handbook.pdf

A long letter strongly worded might not do you much good. A letter from a CPA stating why this loan is not Income might be useful. The CPA should review the documents above to know what is what here.

PS Reaching HDC is not impossible. If you take that position you are being self defeating. Call 311 and so forth if you can’t get to the right person at HDC, ask for guidance to reach the people who are authorized to deal with such matters.

You may also call our applicant hotline at 212-863-7990. We answer calls from 9am to 5pm on weekdays, and respond to voicemails left at other times.

Last edited by WildAboutHarry; 09-18-2023 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: PS

Old 09-18-2023, 10:23 PM

26 posts, read 17,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
If you took a distribution from a retirement account that might be counted as Income. In many cases, it’s subject to tax.

Hardship or not, if this loan has to be recorded on your income tax returns that might be a red flag.

Check the documents below if you did, or if you did not take a distribution from a retirement account. The docs might reveal or suggest why the decision was made the way it was.

Seems like talking with a CPA might be useful.

Call 311, the Mayor’s Office, City Councilor etc. Explain you really believe the decision is not correct, briefly, and you seek to bring the matter to a higher authority for clarification.

https://www.nychdc.com/sites/default...me%20Guide.pdf

See Table of Contents on Income
https://www.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...g-handbook.pdf

A long letter strongly worded might not do you much good. A letter from a CPA stating why this loan is not Income might be useful. The CPA should review the documents above to know what is what here.

PS Reaching HDC is not impossible. If you take that position you are being self defeating. Call 311 and so forth if you can’t get to the right person at HDC, ask for guidance to reach the people who are authorized to deal with such matters.

You may also call our applicant hotline at 212-863-7990. We answer calls from 9am to 5pm on weekdays, and respond to voicemails left at other times.
Would all that CPA stuff really help? I mean ultimately what’s counted as “income” isn’t an accounting question… it’s a HUD determination based entirely on their rules.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:31 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,743,445 times
Loans don't count as income for tax purposes.

Old 09-18-2023, 11:10 PM

182 posts, read 124,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgr9000 View Post
Guys, so long story short I thought I got approved for the apartment, but I was denied because of my income. Which was untrue because they are confusing loan I received for income. I called the agent to explain the situation, the agent was very dismissive, saying I got denied. I I filed an appeal which I received the notification today saying got declined again. I’m so upset and frustrated because I know I qualify for the Apartment. I wrote a very long worded strong letter to H DC, explaining the situation, and the reasons why I got that loan stating that I had received the loan from a situation I have and that is not no form of income. I had my attorney write a letter stating that that’s not a form of income, it was due to hardship, I need an advice should I keep fighting? Should I give up? I’m so confused. I don’t know how this processes there’s no really much feedback once you reach an appeal. Reaching HDC is impossible. Any advices? Any prior experiences share your story.

sorry to hear this, which agency is this?

Old 09-19-2023, 12:04 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,743,445 times
Thinking about it, I would get whoever lent you the money to document (ideally with notarization)--if they haven't already--that it is indeed a loan. It sounds to me more like they think the loan is actually disguised income of some kind than that they don't understand that a true loan is not income.

Old 09-21-2023, 11:49 AM

2,044 posts, read 1,659,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire1122 View Post
Would all that CPA stuff really help? I mean ultimately what’s counted as “income” isn’t an accounting question… it’s a HUD determination based entirely on their rules.
I disagree almost entirely with this post. I’d use CPA before I’d use lawyer. A lawyer can rigorously advocate a position but might not understand enough about income and assets to see if a mistake has occurred.

Income is an accounting question. What is counted as income is and accounting question because mistakes are often made. There are many kinds of income. These applications are complex. Some funds count, some funds do not, other funds are discounted. There are Post saying that a CPA were used in appeals that prevailed that turned on questions of income.

Maybe, it’s is a HUD determination based entirely on their rules. They set the income limits, yes. But do they make the rules for what counts as income?

It has been observed that the people processing the paperwork make mistakes. Perhaps they were not trained well. My guess turnover is high. It possible to make a mistake just by not using the up to date HUD figures. Another mistake would be counting a reimbursement as income, and so on and so on. Perhaps they were not trained well. My guess turnover is high.

I don’t know the details here, but it could be that the ‘loan’ in question qualifies as Income. Or, if that is wrong and it is not Income then a mistake has been made perhaps resulting in the disqualification of a deserving applicant. A CPA might help clear this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery