Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2023, 07:54 AM

12 posts, read 6,996 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was recently selected to provide documentation for Brooklyn Crossing. My current situation is as such - last year as reflected on my tax returns, my income exceeded the high end of the qualifying income bracket. However, this was a one off event for 2022. My current income, and my future income is directly in line with the income bracket. Does anybody have any insight on whether I qualify for the unit?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2023, 08:14 AM

4,783 posts, read 6,589,702 times
This is a good question. The rule is that your income is calculated several ways, and the highest amount is the one used. So if your 2022 tax return is the highest, technically that's the one that should count. However, I have always suspected that the six pay stubs count "more," since that is more recent than a tax return and thus more accurate.

The reason the tax return counts, even though it is an out-of-date amount, is that the process wants to detect people who deliberately take a lesser-paying job in order to qualify. That is not your situation, obviously.

Also, the AMI (Area Median Income) has gone up since 2022, raising the income brackets. Are you looking at 2022 AMI or 2023 AMI? Maybe the AMI has gone up enough that your last year's income will fall within the bracket now. Here's a link to the 2023 AMI:

https://www.nyc.gov/site/hpd/service...an-income.page

I would encourage you to go through the process if you like the building and submit everything requested. If you are denied, you might be able to mount an appeal based on the fact that the 2022 income was a one-off or if the development is using the 2022 AMI to disqualify you. It doesn't hurt to try! It looks like a gorgeous building. Best of luck!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 10-17-2023 at 08:22 AM..

Old 10-17-2023, 08:16 AM

2,044 posts, read 1,662,422 times
There are dozens on recent posts addressing this question. And many more older one. You can search them with ‘search this forum’

The Marketing Handbook, and Income a Guide, have examples.

Do Not Reject Yourself. It’s not your job. It’s their job. Your answer and their answer might not agree. You can appeal their rejection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery