Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2023, 03:34 PM

293 posts, read 223,878 times

Advertisements

What building is this for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2023, 04:08 PM

250 posts, read 221,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatehererlly View Post
I’m in general population pretty sure. But from my understanding is they were processing the log numbers 10x what mine is in general population. I thought they processed lower log numbers first once they reached the general population? My circumstances have changed so technically I might have disability preference. I’m not sure but they set aside like 5% CB preference and 5% disability. There was about 300 units available.
No it’s 50% CB preference so if they were 300 units then 150 goes to CB Preference 15 units goes to disability and 6 goes to ME preference the rest goes to the general population maybe they definitely hasn’t reach gen pop so maybe you aren’t skipped over since you’re not sure if u actually quality for disability preference

Old 10-18-2023, 04:51 PM

10 posts, read 7,625 times
My only thing is that in the NYC Housing Connect handbook it says they go by lowest log numbers first and work their way up for general population. Even the development said that it was their process as well.

Old 10-18-2023, 05:21 PM

250 posts, read 221,676 times
Quote:
My only thing is that in the NYC Housing Connect handbook it says they go by lowest log numbers first and work their way up for general population. Even the development said that it was their process as well.
The handbook stated lowest log number first meaning they start at the CB preference first whatever the lowest number the CB preference holder have that’s the lowest number they start from the person with the lowest number who have CB preference could actually start from log number 10,000 as well as the person with CB could start at number 1 and then the next person with CB could be at 5,000 so they probably didn’t skip you. Unless you are sure that they have moved on to general population and they somehow pass your number. You could try call and find how what log number they are up to just to be sure

Old 10-18-2023, 05:39 PM

Yes I did. They are on general population with about 1/30 of total units still left. They are up to log numbers that are 10x what mine is. That is my issue here. I do not have CB also.

Old 10-18-2023, 06:09 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,642,464 times
Quote:
Yes I did. They are on general population with about 1/30 of total units still left. They are up to log numbers that are 10x what mine is. That is my issue here. I do not have CB also.
It’s possible that those higher log# are not seeking and filling units your household is qualified for. It’s possible that all the units your household is qualified for have been filled or lower log# than yours are being evaluated for them. Perhaps your log# has to wait until lower ones are disqualified, decline units, or take units and there is a unit remaining when your log# is reached in general population.

There is a single set of log#s for the entire lottery and building across all unit sizes and AMI%s. The preference categories are fulfilled by ANY combination of units. Example, 50% CB preference is can set equaling 50%. It does not have to be 50% of the Studios, and 50% of the 1-beds. It could be that zero % studios are taken by CB preference log#, and all the 1-beds get taken by CB preference log#s leaving none for the general population.

Old 10-18-2023, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
It’s possible that those higher log# are not seeking and filling units your household is qualified for. It’s possible that all the units your household is qualified for have been filled or lower log# than yours are being evaluated for them. Perhaps your log# has to wait until lower ones are disqualified, decline units, or take units and there is a unit remaining when your log# is reached in general population.

There is a single set of log#s for the entire lottery and building across all unit sizes and AMI%s. The preference categories are fulfilled by ANY combination of units. Example, 50% CB preference is can set equaling 50%. It does not have to be 50% of the Studios, and 50% of the 1-beds. It could be that zero % studios are taken by CB preference log#, and all the 1-beds get taken by CB preference log#s leaving none for the general population.
And last question (sorry to be annoying), I was told that I was reached out to by accident and that they weren’t up to my log #. But housing connect also sent me an email requesting documents. I’m not sure what to do here and I threw all my eggs in one basket so really disappointed honestly.

Old 10-18-2023, 09:17 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn102 View Post
They don’t ask for documents in numerical order. They randomly ask anyone to submit documents. When they start processing documents is when they go in numerical order. That’s why it is called a LOTTERY. it’s random selection
people on here have convinced them that EVERYONE gets called, and that's not so, even with a low log

Old 10-19-2023, 04:10 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,642,464 times
Default Send the requested documents.

Quote:
And last question (sorry to be annoying), I was told that I was reached out to by accident and that they weren’t up to my log #. But housing connect also sent me an email requesting documents. I’m not sure what to do here and I threw all my eggs in one basket so really disappointed honestly.
If Housing Connect requesting documents, then send the requested documents. Send what you have by the deadline mentioned.

I don’t see any harm in sending the documents. But not sending the documents could be interpreted as a lack of interest on your part or as a failure to comply resulting in rejection. (Don’t be bothered if in the future you get an additional request for documents. This can be a requirement if certain documents are too old.)

Are you saying the building told you they reached out to you by accident and your log# was not reached yet ? If that is so, they might reach your log# tomorrow or November 1 or whenever or never. Wait times can be long or short.

Don’t let your present disappointment keep your from taking the action requested by Housing Connect.

Old 10-19-2023, 08:23 AM

115 posts, read 69,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn102 View Post
My log was 10,xxx , no preferences & I was approved & moved into a unit .. they don’t say log 1 submit documents , log 2 submit documents. How would that be fair to someone with a 1,xxx,xxx log ?? It’s randomly chosen. Until documents are submitted.
This is incorrect. The whole lottery is they randomly assign you a log number and then go by order. It has nothing to do with fairness, and everything to do with LUCK- hence lottery.

Again, the randomness of the lottery is the assigning of the log numbers NOT the requesting of documents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery