Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2023, 02:39 PM

98 posts, read 61,738 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've always had utilities included in rent, but am now exploring ConEd. I know there are rebates available (via Google Nest, thanks for sharing that tip in an earlier thread!), but what is the best way you've learned to keep your electric bill low? Is there a "right" temperature to keep the AC set to every season, or temps you never go below/above? Is it better to turn AC off and on as needed, or keep it on and at a consistent temp? Have you been strict about W/D or dishwasher usage?

Thanks in advance for your tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 02:55 PM

531 posts, read 410,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon7mouse View Post
Hi all,

I've always had utilities included in rent, but am now exploring ConEd. I know there are rebates available (via Google Nest, thanks for sharing that tip in an earlier thread!), but what is the best way you've learned to keep your electric bill low? Is there a "right" temperature to keep the AC set to every season, or temps you never go below/above? Is it better to turn AC off and on as needed, or keep it on and at a consistent temp? Have you been strict about W/D or dishwasher usage?

Thanks in advance for your tips!
If you are moving into ruby don’t think you’ll have to worry much about bills.

It’s most likely a cooling and heating tower setup where you have a heat and cold exchanger built in the walls. The colder or hotter you run the air conditioning the more you’ll pay in bills. Using the nest on economy mode helps and the less temperature swings you do the lesser you consume.

Some people have been able to use a stabilized lease to enroll into the coned energy affordability program where you get a little discount every month. This hasn’t worked for everyone so ymmv. Some people have also gotten lucky to use the stabilized lease to get discounted internet using the program called ACP. Fios 300/300 plan becomes free after accounting for the acp discount and Verizon forward

https://www.fcc.gov/acp

Dishwashers and washers are pretty efficient, that is also directly related to your consumption. If you are moving into ruby hot water is included so it’s not an added expense to your monthly bills and you could wash your dishes manually. But tbh Bosch is pretty energy efficient.

Everyone’s finances are different. How much do you think you are budgeting for coned. I’d say for a 1bed you should average more than 100-150 a month with moderate usage

Old 11-10-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinasb View Post
If you are moving into ruby don’t think you’ll have to worry much about bills.

It’s most likely a cooling and heating tower setup where you have a heat and cold exchanger built in the walls. The colder or hotter you run the air conditioning the more you’ll pay in bills. Using the nest on economy mode helps and the less temperature swings you do the lesser you consume.

Some people have been able to use a stabilized lease to enroll into the coned energy affordability program where you get a little discount every month. This hasn’t worked for everyone so ymmv. Some people have also gotten lucky to use the stabilized lease to get discounted internet using the program called ACP. Fios 300/300 plan becomes free after accounting for the acp discount and Verizon forward

https://www.fcc.gov/acp

Dishwashers and washers are pretty efficient, that is also directly related to your consumption. If you are moving into ruby hot water is included so it’s not an added expense to your monthly bills and you could wash your dishes manually. But tbh Bosch is pretty energy efficient.

Everyone’s finances are different. How much do you think you are budgeting for coned. I’d say for a 1bed you should average more than 100-150 a month with moderate usage
So helpful, thank you for the insight nevinasb!! I didn't know about the tower setup. I learned about ACP here and was able to sign up and get approved, will look into ConEd energy affordability program too. Since I didn't have any reference or comparison point I wasn't so sure, but ~$100-$150 is not bad at all. Appreciate your advice!

Old 11-11-2023, 07:24 PM

293 posts, read 222,544 times
My electricity bill is $35 a month with Coned and I’m not enrolled in any programs. $100 seems high.

Old 11-11-2023, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo295 View Post
My electricity bill is $35 a month with Coned and I’m not enrolled in any programs. $100 seems high.
$35?! Whoa that's amazing. New best case scenario.

Old 11-11-2023, 09:50 PM

293 posts, read 222,544 times
Yes, and it’s consistently that! When I leave the Christmas tree lights on for December it’s about $52-55. I do like to unplug things, like computer chargers, but that’s kinda it. A few years ago I switched from a desk top computer to a lap top and saved $20/month in electricity!

Old 11-12-2023, 06:05 AM

200 posts, read 219,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon7mouse View Post
$35?! Whoa that's amazing. New best case scenario.
So are my non-winter months. But winter months jump over $300/mo

Our electric provider is not ConEd. Each apt is metered by a company of a diff name, and statements are issued by that co. - though they may get bulk electricity from ConEd.

Every year I applied for HEAP so far, I get no news for months. Eventually, HEAP declines stating I "already got paid this year" (their standard $21 !!) That's notwithstanding a note in HEAP rules that if electric is used for heating, then HEAP annual check should be $350 not $21. What to do??

Old 11-12-2023, 12:38 PM

96 posts, read 61,681 times
Try unplugging everything that’s not in use except for refrigerator and stove, because appliances still pull current even though it’s turn off . Washer and dryers you may have to turn off curcuit breaker if you are unable to unplug . Also use washer, dryers and dishwasher during non peak hours
when kWh is the cheapest.

Old 11-13-2023, 07:02 AM

411 posts, read 227,860 times
If you're moving into a new building, ConEd may not be a choice. Most new buildings are built to be monitored remotely.
A more practical approach could be to live normally for two months, making yourself comfortable in every way. Then, if your bills are higher than you'd like, make adjustments in the largest possible ways (reduce temp during heating season, or perhaps a couple of degrees overnight, do fewer laundry loads if in unit W/D etc.) I use fans during the summer when it's kind of hot but not sweltering.
I'd opine that driving yourself crazy turning off circuit breakers and power strips won't reduce your bill by more than a little. Isn't life worth a couple of bucks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery