Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 03:33 PM

19 posts, read 11,129 times

Advertisements

Good Evening, im writing this thread because i was selected for an apartment & opted for 12 months rent payments && i feel like they are trying to pressure me into a credit check. i gave all the documents that was required & they are trying to find a reason to deny it … has anyone even been through this ?
i submitted a rent affidavit rent receipts for cash payments deposits && rent ledger.. i don’t understand ehat the problem is and they are not being clear about what they want and what the issue is ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 04:02 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,439,550 times
I would call HPD. They are required to allow you to give proof of the last 12 months of on time rent payments instead of a credit check. I don't think there are any exceptions to that rule.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:05 AM

yes .. i sent more information today if they don’t accept it i will call HPD

Old 01-26-2024, 08:22 AM

70 posts, read 43,072 times
Does anyone know, if I do a credit check - can I use the same credit check for another building? Do I get a copy of it?

Old 01-26-2024, 12:38 PM

you have the option to either have them run your credit or provide they with a credit report.

Old 01-26-2024, 12:55 PM

531 posts, read 412,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animal_respecter View Post
Does anyone know, if I do a credit check - can I use the same credit check for another building? Do I get a copy of it?
You are legally entitled to a copy for your records. Each lottery may have different requirements for document validity, so be sure to check the specific guidelines for the lottery you are applying to.

Some may accept documents up to 60 days after their issue date, while others may only accept documents within 30 days of issuance. You can confirm with the marketing agent to see what is acceptable to them and take it from there.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:16 PM

21 posts, read 11,425 times
Just an FYI... if you opt for the credit check, here are the requirements to be approved:

"Any score over 580 is an automatic pass. If your score is 580 or below, you will only be rejected if you have open or unsatisfied delinquencies exceeding $5000 in total. Delinquent balances due to medical or student loan debt will be excluded from total.)."

In my case... while my score is over 580, I didn't want to risk it, so I opted for the proof of rent payments and was approved. HPD approval came through in 3 days.

Old 01-27-2024, 02:44 AM

76 posts, read 41,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbxbry8920 View Post
Just an FYI... if you opt for the credit check, here are the requirements to be approved:

"Any score over 580 is an automatic pass. If your score is 580 or below, you will only be rejected if you have open or unsatisfied delinquencies exceeding $5000 in total. Delinquent balances due to medical or student loan debt will be excluded from total.)."

In my case... while my score is over 580, I didn't want to risk it, so I opted for the proof of rent payments and was approved. HPD approval came through in 3 days.
What is the source on this? I don’t recall that text from the marketing handbook. Is this specific to a marketing agency or property?

As I recall, credit scores were removed along with interviews. A credit report check, however, does have debt limitations outlined in the handbook. NB: I chose credit report, not rent history.

Old 01-27-2024, 11:52 PM

21 posts, read 11,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candcnyc View Post
What is the source on this? I don’t recall that text from the marketing handbook. Is this specific to a marketing agency or property?

As I recall, credit scores were removed along with interviews. A credit report check, however, does have debt limitations outlined in the handbook. NB: I chose credit report, not rent history.
I suppose it can differ amongst each marketing agent, but that quote was directly from MGNY when I was being processed for Brooklyn Tower.

Old 01-28-2024, 01:40 AM

76 posts, read 41,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbxbry8920 View Post
I suppose it can differ amongst each marketing agent, but that quote was directly from MGNY when I was being processed for Brooklyn Tower.
Recently? Because credit scores began their phase-out with the 2018 update to the marketing handbook. Read the full 2018 updated guidelines: https://www.6sqft.com/how-the-citys-...ng-applicants/

In the 2021 marketing handbook, there's only one mention of credit score--and no guidelines for using it as criteria. In September 2023, credit scores were barred per Mayor Adams for anyone with a housing voucher / subsidy.

The changes to the impact of bad credit scores has been discussed here before, like here in 2019. Statistically speaking, many people needing affordable housing likely also have debt and/or poor scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: