Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2024, 01:45 AM

1 posts, read 324 times

Advertisements

I live in a lottery building but I actually got the building through a broker who was brought in to help fill the units. I paid a broker’s fee and everything. I am moving to a new apartment and want to assign my lease or break it. According to the “New York City Lease Rider for Stabilized Tenants” which is a part of my lease, I should be allowed to request a lease assignment or vacate within 30 days if they don’t respond. But my landlord told me over the phone that they don’t allow lease assignments because it’s a lottery building? They don’t even allow sublets? How is that possible? Does the NYC Stabilized Tenants Lease Rider not apply to us? I sent an email and followed up with a written letter by certified mail 2 weeks ago and the lease person still hasn’t responded or told me what my options are. I also already have someone who wants to take it over. What do I do? Can I sublet without telling them or vacate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2024, 05:14 AM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
If you have that rider in your lease, then it applies to you. Lottery apartments are usually rent stabilized, as yours is, but occasionally there are some differences, including the right to sublet. But if you are reading your lease and it shows there you have the right to assign the lease, then you do.

I don’t have any experience with the Village Independent Democrats, but it wouldn’t hurt to contact them.

What If Your Landlord Never Responds to Lease Assignment Request?-img_1803.jpeg

Last edited by macnyc2003; 02-02-2024 at 05:37 AM..

Old 02-02-2024, 12:18 PM

115 posts, read 68,408 times
If its in your lease it applies to you and I would highlight this to the landlord

Old 02-02-2024, 03:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
A written lease is limited to what is written before the signature page. A rider must be signed by both parties to be lawfully enforceable. If you a rider that the landlord signed, then you should remind them, and if needed seek help from one of the many renter assistance agencies in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery