Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 05:57 PM

110 posts, read 211,826 times

Advertisements

Hi- has anyone heard back from Manhattan Plaza yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 06:58 PM

828 posts, read 766,714 times
Applied for a 2br. Nothing yet. Not all that excited about this one.

Old 06-08-2022, 06:56 PM

110 posts, read 211,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC1999 View Post
Why is that? Are you on the Village East list too? And Stuytown?

Old 06-08-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysteady View Post
Why is that? Are you on the Village East list too? And Stuytown?
This is a Mitchell Lama rental, if I'm not mistaken - I'm not excited about ML rentals. I'd much rather win a Mitchel Lama purchase like Village East. Yes, I'm on the StuyTown waitlist, too, but my log number is in the 17,000s.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:03 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Quote:
If the floor plan, building, and location in the City is good enough for your family then evaluate it for lowering your housing costs. It might help you save funds for a Mitchell-Lama co-op purchase in the future, and your rent increases would be Rent Regulated.

By now, lottery paperwork might be easier with your experience.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
If the floor plan, building, and location in the City is good enough for your family then evaluate it for lowering your housing costs. It might help you save funds for a Mitchell-Lama co-op purchase in the future, and your rent increases would be Rent Regulated.

By now, lottery paperwork might be easier with your experience.
You always offer great insight and advice, thank you. In this particular case, the move uptown would be a major strain on my family and we would only save a small amount of money. Further, aren't most Mitchel Lama buildings old and outdated? This would be a big downgrade from our current situation. I wouldn't mind purchasing in an old building because I can update my own unit as I like, but renting - I'm just not excited about it.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
You always offer great insight and advice, thank you. In this particular case, the move uptown would be a major strain on my family and we would only save a small amount of money. Further, aren't most Mitchel Lama buildings old and outdated? This would be a big downgrade from our current situation. I wouldn't mind purchasing in an old building because I can update my own unit as I like, but renting - I'm just not excited about it.
Thanks, you are welcome. You evaluating it well. Wait and see if you get and offer, and when. Then checkout the unit. It might be excellent with a view and lived in for decades by a neat freak who always eat out and never cooked, or it might have been lived in by a chain smoker who fried bacon for every meal and never cleaned, and the view is of the dumpsters.

Yeah, I think it’s been decades since a Mitchell Lama was built. I can’t say

BTW, I can’t quote the Mitchell Lama rule book and it might be a bit different from building to building, but they tend to have some kind rules about family size. Things like if you have a child away at college you can still list them as a resident. Likewise, if a family member is serving away from the City in the military they can still be a resident.

Good luck and good patience.

Old 06-09-2022, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Thanks, you are welcome. You evaluating it well. Wait and see if you get and offer, and when. Then checkout the unit. It might be excellent with a view and lived in for decades by a neat freak who always eat out and never cooked, or it might have been lived in by a chain smoker who fried bacon for every meal and never cleaned, and the view is of the dumpsters.

Yeah, I think it’s been decades since a Mitchell Lama was built. I can’t say

BTW, I can’t quote the Mitchell Lama rule book and it might be a bit different from building to building, but they tend to have some kind rules about family size. Things like if you have a child away at college you can still list them as a resident. Likewise, if a family member is serving away from the City in the military they can still be a resident.

Good luck and good patience.
After doing 5 minutes or research, I am now much more enthusiastic about Manhattan Plaza. LOL

Initially, I only looked at the address and did a quick Google Man street look. But then I learned that this building is highly coveted by renters and has a great community. The building is very clean and safe, apparently.

So now I eagerly wait.

Old 06-09-2022, 08:09 AM

290 posts, read 274,434 times
A friend of mine recently looked at an apartment in MP. Echoed your research. Very clean and safe and the apartment was spacious. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
After doing 5 minutes or research, I am now much more enthusiastic about Manhattan Plaza. LOL

Initially, I only looked at the address and did a quick Google Man street look. But then I learned that this building is highly coveted by renters and has a great community. The building is very clean and safe, apparently.

So now I eagerly wait.
I have heard the same thing but I never knew anyone that lived there and I never have been inside so I didn’t want to just pass on other people’s opinions.

One story is that it was an ambitious building, big with many features but the economy and circumstances at the time it opened spoiled things. Also many famous entertainment people lived there before they got famous.

Good luck everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery