Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2024, 05:25 AM

96 posts, read 63,440 times

Advertisements

Can you all share your experience living in a supportive housing building… just got approved for a unit but I’m skeptical about living in a supportive housing building. I would appreciate hearing about ppls experience not so much your opinion. (sorry if that’s rude)
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 06:01 AM

253 posts, read 217,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynGirl2022 View Post
Can you all share your experience living in a supportive housing building… just got approved for a unit but I’m skeptical about living in a supportive housing building. I would appreciate hearing about ppls experience not so much your opinion. (sorry if that’s rude)

It’s not rude and I work in a shelter who refers clients to supportive housing so this is for those who have mental illness or chronic homlesss that there is social services in place and also clients who suffer substance abuse

Old 04-09-2024, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC____20010 View Post
It’s not rude and I work in a shelter who refers clients to supportive housing so this is for those who have mental illness or chronic homlesss that there is social services in place and also clients who suffer substance abuse
I work in the shelter as well (but not ad a case manager) and as far as MICA clients; when decompensating I know it can get bad. Are the clients who present serious issues sent back to the shelter ? I’m a worry ward I’m not gonna lie lol

Old 04-09-2024, 06:17 AM

Quote:
I work in the shelter as well (but not ad a case manager) and as far as MICA clients; when decompensating I know it can get bad. Are the clients who present serious issues sent back to the shelter ? I’m a worry ward I’m not gonna lie lol
Oh no you won’t be sent back to shelter that I know a lot of people are skeptical of supportive housing because of some of the clients that end up living there that I have a client who is bipolar that got approved but is refusing to take it because they feel they are gonna be monitored but it’s just to provide more support for clients who need it

Old 04-09-2024, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Oh no you won’t be sent back to shelter that I know a lot of people are skeptical of supportive housing because of some of the clients that end up living there that I have a client who is bipolar that got approved but is refusing to take it because they feel they are gonna be monitored but it’s just to provide more support for clients who need it
Not me, I’m not a client lol. I got the apartment through the lottery. I asking about the residents I will be living amongst. I’ve been hearing HORROR stories and everyone is advising me to wait for something better.

Old 04-09-2024, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Not me, I’m not a client lol. I got the apartment through the lottery. I asking about the residents I will be living amongst. I’ve been hearing HORROR stories and everyone is advising me to wait for something better.
Personally I wouldn’t do it only because I live by a supportive housing building and the residents there do have incidents where police and ambulance do constantly go there. If you don’t have a mental illness or suffer from substance abuse I honestly wouldn’t take it only because that’s what the supportive housing is for and there are therapist on site for these clients

Old 04-09-2024, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Personally I wouldn’t do it only because I live by a supportive housing building and the residents there do have incidents where police and ambulance do constantly go there. If you don’t have a mental illness or suffer from substance abuse I honestly wouldn’t take it only because that’s what the supportive housing is for and there are therapist on site for these clients
Good to know. Thank you.

Old 04-09-2024, 07:18 AM

65 posts, read 38,395 times
I live in a rent-stabilized building (not via housing connect) and our landlord rents to an agency that provides supportive housing. They have physical or mental disabilities to varying degrees. For example, one older man who has a learning disability lives on my floor. He's super sweet, always brings my packages up, and it overall very pleasant. He's able to live on his own, lives a pretty full life that includes going to church every week, but has someone from the agency who checks in on him at least once a week. There's another guy who received housing support from the agency because he relies on a wheelchair. And then there's a group of guys who have a more severe learning disability than the guy on my floor who all live together in a 3 or 4 bedroom.

Everyone has always been a joy and I've been in this building for well over a decade. In fact, the folks from the supportive housing are never the problem tenants.

This is a long way of saying don't assume because it's supportive housing that they will be horrible to around. To get a better idea of what housing would be like I would suggest you try to find out what agency provides the housing for your specific building or look for people who live in the building who can tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery