Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

14 posts, read 3,384 times

Advertisements

I saw the apartment today.

Sad to say, the apartment itself was in very poor condition. The layout was nice. It had an entryway, a pass through kitchen, a rather large bedroom and a number of closets. Lots of light as well. But the floors were very old and dirty speckled vinyl, tiles in the bathroom were cracked, the paint was peeling, etc. It was just not a well-kept apartment and it was not clear if it would be fixed before hand off. It needed a LOT of work.

There is also only one super (really nice guy) for the entire building with 120 apartments. The building has a laundry room which is good. The people who lived there were all very friendly. I got good vibes from the building even though it was kind of dingy and run-down and the hallways were VERY dark, with dim lighting and dark blue painted walls.

The neighborhood as I said before is nice. Nothing wrong with that area. I bought some hot sausage and Italian bread to take home, lol.

If it comes down to it, I will not accept the apartment. I'm (fortunately) not desperate to leave where I am now. If I were desperate I would absolutely say yes. The apartment can be fixed up but it will take a lot of work. Still. It's a great deal--maintenance includes all utilities.

Last edited by avocado_aficionado; Yesterday at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,645,707 times
Thank you for including that maintenance includes all utilities. Such a deal.

If you pass on this particular unit do you drop off of the waitlist? Or do they give you another bite at the apple? Are you allowed to put your application on hold for a period of time? I ask these questions because some buildings have these types of policies.

It sound like it’s a great fix for someone who works in the floor and bathroom tile installation business.

Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

I know. It's a steal of a lifetime if you can fix up the apartment and don't mind a kind of grungy building.

You're allowed right of one refusal. After the second refusal you are kicked off the list.

Also, if someone who is sequentially higher on the list than you takes the apartment, that is NOT considered a refusal even if you don't hand in the paperwork to move forward. It is only a refusal if someone after you, sequentially, takes the apartment and you have not moved forward with the process of accepting the apartment.

So, if you are number 10 and number 9 takes the apartment, you're not officially put down as having refused even if you chose not to move forward. Conversely, if number 11 takes it and you haven't shown interest, that's a refusal.

I didn't ask about hold but I can call and ask if you like! The super is very nice and forthcoming.

Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM

4,775 posts, read 6,573,986 times
Avocado, thanks for posting your impressions! They certainly don't give you much time to see the apartment, do they? Documents are due on Wednesday.

I'm glad it wasn't a total waste of your time! Is there scaffolding still up? (The Google street view shows it.) I'm surprised the light was good in the apartment, considering it's the second floor, but I'm glad. Do you know if there's parking, and how much it would be?

Even though it's a great deal, I don't think we are going to proceed. I called the office and left a message with my questions. No one has called me back yet. My husband and I are over the income limit, and it's not clear if that is a definite no-go, or if going over the limit is permissible with paying a higher carrying charge (as some limited-equity co-ops allow). I also asked if it was possible to go on hold.

I really wonder how much restoration will be done on the apartment. It sounds like no work has been done on it since it was built!

Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM

The scaffolding is still up. The super told us that they're doing extensive exterior work on the building, and the first phase is in the front with the back and sides to follow. The apartment, if I recall, had a view of the back or one of the sides (I couldn't really orient myself) and so there was no scaffolding. But I would imagine the scaffolding will be a concern for anyone who takes the apartment because on the second floor it could probably get very dark with it up.

Street parking is actually pretty difficult to find in the area. We drove around for quite some time looking for a place to park. It's definitely a concern. There is a very small parking lot for residents and in the lobby there was a parking spot waiting list posted.

I don't have the paperwork in front of me now but I could have sworn I saw a mention of a surcharge. There should be a form in there for you to sign where they ask you to agree to the surcharges, but I'll pull it up again tomorrow just to be sure. I'm in bed right now and too lazy to go get it :P

Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM

Oh, also, pets are allowed. I saw some friendly dogs in the building.

Also, there was a huge waterbug in the basement which some people would consider large enough to have been a pet, lol.

Old Today, 06:08 AM

4,775 posts, read 6,573,986 times
I went through the papers just now and there is an Acknowledgment of Surcharge Imposition, as you said. So I guess it's possible to be over the income limit. But it's strange how there's nothing that explicitly states that.

Also, in a household with more than one person working, $20,000 of the "secondary" wage earner is subtracted.

Old Today, 06:23 AM

118 posts, read 47,810 times
its a nice area, I used to live close by and its quiet in NYC terms. it has gotten more populated the closer you get to the pelham bay station.

I wouldnt have left if it were closer to the Manhattan, the commute to work was what pushed me out

Old Today, 06:27 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,645,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I went through the papers just now and there is an Acknowledgment of Surcharge Imposition, as you said. So I guess it's possible to be over the income limit. But it's strange how there's nothing that explicitly states that.

Also, in a household with more than one person working, $20,000 of the "secondary" wage earner is subtracted.
I appreciate your posting these details. Readers can benefit from them.

As for income limits. If and when it comes to accepting an offer it should be checked if the up to date income limits are being used and not a previous year’s. Readers should consider that if a unit is vacant next year the income limits will likely be higher, and their own income might have risen or fallen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery