Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM

117 posts, read 74,258 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
A few months ago I read that they’ll be eliminating CB, I just logged onto HC and saw this:

“New York City is committed to the principle of inclusivity in all of its neighborhoods, including supporting New Yorkers to reside in neighborhoods of their choice, regardless of their neighborhood of origin and regardless of the neighborhood into which they want to move.”

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly_girl1 View Post
Hi everyone,
A few months ago I read that they’ll be eliminating CB, I just logged onto HC and saw this:

“New York City is committed to the principle of inclusivity in all of its neighborhoods, including supporting New Yorkers to reside in neighborhoods of their choice, regardless of their neighborhood of origin and regardless of the neighborhood into which they want to move.”

What do you think?
CB preference wasn't totally eliminated, just reduced IIRC.

As for rest of it what is it you don't understand?

After losing in court (or rather settling case and paying out damages) city is basically reiterating what they agreed to in settlement. Brown, black, and other persons of colour have "right" to move from East New York to Manhattan if they so choose, and lottery process has been changed to accommodate, at least on paper.

Basis of lawsuit was that CB often had huge reserves for local residents. For the rich heartland of NYC (to wit Manhattan below 125th street), this often meant good number of available lottery units went to persons already residing in CB. Since Manhattan below Harlem is largely white, read between the lines.

Meanwhile tons of new lottery buildings are going up far out in East Brooklyn and areas of Queens or Bronx that are largely minority dominated. CB preference there is all very well, but many persons already living in such areas want out. A new "luxury" apartment building in East New York is still in East New York, not UES, Chelsea, West Village, etc...

Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
CB preference wasn't totally eliminated, just reduced IIRC.

As for rest of it what is it you don't understand?

After losing in court (or rather settling case and paying out damages) city is basically reiterating what they agreed to in settlement. Brown, black, and other persons of colour have "right" to move from East New York to Manhattan if they so choose, and lottery process has been changed to accommodate, at least on paper.

Basis of lawsuit was that CB often had huge reserves for local residents. For the rich heartland of NYC (to wit Manhattan below 125th street), this often meant good number of available lottery units went to persons already residing in CB. Since Manhattan below Harlem is largely white, read between the lines.

Meanwhile tons of new lottery buildings are going up far out in East Brooklyn and areas of Queens or Bronx that are largely minority dominated. CB preference there is all very well, but many persons already living in such areas want out. A new "luxury" apartment building in East New York is still in East New York, not UES, Chelsea, West Village, etc...
I was inquiring… that’s all. Ty for your response.

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

962 posts, read 938,813 times
No it’s not

Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM

173 posts, read 130,728 times
I read that it’s supposed to go from 50% to now 20% but I’m not sure when that will begin.

Old Today, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkbound7 View Post
I read that it’s supposed to go from 50% to now 20% but I’m not sure when that will begin.
Oic, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery