Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 05:56 AM

34 posts, read 21,723 times

Advertisements

I was recently and randomly contacted for a mini lottery for some vacant studios here.

Has anyone lived here or know of lottery winners’ experience at this building? The only thread I could find is quite old.

I’m torn if I should proceed or not since I like my current 1 bed apt layout but I hate my neighborhood VS a small studio in a nicer area close to my workplace…

Also wondering if anyone else was also contacted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

7 posts, read 2,948 times
Curious - did they send you an email directly or a message on housing connect... or both?

Just want to make sure I'm checking the right places regularly.

Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM

It was an email notification to submit documents. In housing connect it showed the status as documents needed for mini lottery.

Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM

33 posts, read 22,990 times
My cousin received an email to submit documents earlier this month. He was denied the initial apartment, but was then asked if he wanted to view an apartment as a courtesy. He did and then two weeks later, he was offered an apartment. It was a small studio. He was torn too, but ultimately turned it down. He's been asked to submit documents for several other mini lotteries in the same area, but those apartments are either 1 bedrooms or larger studios.

Old Today, 04:51 PM

Good to know! I just viewed the studio and I’m still undecided if I should take the smaller unit.

There’s diff pros and cons:
Studio- pros: 3 closets, w/d and dishwasher in unit. Not so high amenities fee, so many “perks” like ‘wfh areas’ though I’m mainly interested in the equinox type gym. Great location. Technically walkable to my office. Cons: small space vs the **** ton of things I own.

Current apt- pros: true 1 bed apt, 2 small closets, laundry in building, huge kitchen. Cons: rough neighborhood, have to stick to “safe hours”. Far from supermarkets, any stores really.

I’m currently interviewing for WFH jobs though currently I work in office. What if I suddenly do get a wfh position whilst I live in a studio?? This is why I’m so torn.

Old Today, 05:20 PM

33 posts, read 22,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios_ View Post
Good to know! I just viewed the studio and I’m still undecided if I should take the smaller unit.

There’s diff pros and cons:
Studio- pros: 3 closets, w/d and dishwasher in unit. Not so high amenities fee, so many “perks” like ‘wfh areas’ though I’m mainly interested in the equinox type gym. Great location. Technically walkable to my office. Cons: small space vs the **** ton of things I own.

Current apt- pros: true 1 bed apt, 2 small closets, laundry in building, huge kitchen. Cons: rough neighborhood, have to stick to “safe hours”. Far from supermarkets, any stores really.

I’m currently interviewing for WFH jobs though currently I work in office. What if I suddenly do get a wfh position whilst I live in a studio?? This is why I’m so torn.
Yes, and the apartment has nice high-end finishes. My cousin has been in his apartment since 1999 and he's afraid that rent stabilization will end in 2029. But he's happy with his current neighborhood so he's hoping that he gets offered a larger apartment in another building.

I lived in a tiny studio for many years. It never bothered me until the pandemic and I started working from home. It was a nightmare. About six months in, I got a Mitchell Lama 1 bedroom and it's much better. I'm still working from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery