Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 10:46 PM

684 posts, read 1,819,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apthunterdr View Post
hey one person posted that he knew a guy who worked on this building and that the construction was cheap. he said the guy told him that the walls and floors were thin and that you would hear alot of noise if you lived in one of these apartments. is there anyone who can confirm this?
I personally dont live there (hopefully I will be soon lol) but I do know of someone who did win the lottery to one of the apartments here and she hasnt complained of anything. Maybe it depends on your neighbors?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyying View Post
i.e. an applicant wasn't working in '09 and now has a new job. His current 6 pay stubs are within the income guidelines. Is he in or out?
Were they working in 08' 07' or 06'? Any W2s they may have they should bring. Now if its a situatin where its their first job, because maybe they were in school or something like that so they dont have any W2s to show, then I doubt it should be a big deal. However, if this person has a history of lengthy unemployment it might be a red flag for them

Old 06-21-2010, 01:19 PM

123 posts, read 310,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apthunterdr View Post
hey one person posted that he knew a guy who worked on this building and that the construction was cheap. he said the guy told him that the walls and floors were thin and that you would hear alot of noise if you lived in one of these apartments. is there anyone who can confirm this?
The construction isnt done cheap. Have to keep in mind we are living along with tenants who pay market rate. If they build the 20% cheap then it will affect the 80%. We dont have the same more expensive decor that market rate apartments have but still isnt contructed cheaply.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:44 PM

78 posts, read 199,886 times
does anyone know if living with my parents reduces my chances of getting an apt?

Old 06-21-2010, 02:50 PM

I live with my parents and im still have hope. lol. I too thought that this would be an issue because I felt as though they give people an edge that already pay rent (thats under their own name). But I think if you can show that you have consistent employment, and your stubs can show that you make enough I dont think there would be a problem.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 10,103 times
Default How do the reviewers look at Census workers?

Hello all,
I just got a reply from River Place II, have my interview for a studio next Monday. I'm working part time for the Census, so I am currently employed, but will they look at those meager pay stubs to calculate my yearly income?
Do I even have a chance? Or should I just cancel my interview? (I don't want to waste anyone's time.)
Also, is there any chance they would offer me a one-bedroom if I qualify?
Thanks for your help! The discussion has been very informative.
FranciL

Old 06-21-2010, 09:15 PM

78 posts, read 199,886 times
the people that run the interviews are very strict in terms of who qualifies. i had an interview with them before, thinking that maybe i had a chance when my salary was $800 below the income bracket. hey theyre all about helping the poor right? so you would think. i was denied. so many people apply for these apartments that they cant afford to be lenient. like someone else posted before, they try to look for reasons to deny you. others have posted saying they were only a few dollars above or below the income bracket and they were denied. what they do is look the ave. gross income of your last 6 paystubs then multiply by 26. the salary must fall within the bracket or the interview will be terminted on the spot. however the fact that they scheduled you for an interview suggests you do qualify. unless you exaggerated about your income on the application.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranciL View Post
Hello all,
I just got a reply from River Place II, have my interview for a studio next Monday. I'm working part time for the Census, so I am currently employed, but will they look at those meager pay stubs to calculate my yearly income?
Do I even have a chance? Or should I just cancel my interview? (I don't want to waste anyone's time.)
Also, is there any chance they would offer me a one-bedroom if I qualify?
Thanks for your help! The discussion has been very informative.
FranciL
This is how they are going to calculate..

-They're going to take your 6 most recent pay stubs and add them up..then divde by 6 and multiply by how u get paid..if its bi-weekly its 26. So you can do the calculations yourself..

6(all 6 stubs) /6 *26(bi-weekly)=Approx..yearly income. If you do all that and you end up in range then the interview will continue..if not they'll immediately end the interview

Old 06-21-2010, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,997 times
please help!! i just received the interview letter. there is a check list, asking for 2007, 2008, 2009 tax return. 07, 08, 09 these 3 years just got part time job, filed couple thousand a year.
i just started work on this year Jan 2010 making $400 a week. But the problem is here: i got my pay - cash-checks . i do have the copies. but every time i just went to check-cashing store to get the $$$
do u think they will accept it?? also my uncle support me around $1000 a month directly deposit to my bank account, is that also a income? should i tell them that? what should i do? what should i do , please help!!! please advice! appreciate that..

Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankool View Post
please help!! i just received the interview letter. there is a check list, asking for 2007, 2008, 2009 tax return. 07, 08, 09 these 3 years just got part time job, filed couple thousand a year.
i just started work on this year Jan 2010 making $400 a week. But the problem is here: i got my pay - cash-checks . i do have the copies. but every time i just went to check-cashing store to get the $$$
do u think they will accept it?? also my uncle support me around $1000 a month directly deposit to my bank account, is that also a income? should i tell them that? what should i do? what should i do , please help!!! please advice! appreciate that..
Ok first calm down ! lol.

Second, its ok if it was just PT, bring them what ever you have anyway. As for your checks, you dont have the stub? They need that to calculate your gross income.

Yes they do factor in whats in your bank account. And if your assests like (savings, 401k, IRA, etc..) total up to more than 5,000$ they'll add an addtional 2% to whatever they calculated your gross income to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery