Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:06 PM

2 posts, read 11,981 times

Advertisements

hi!

i'm on the verge of signing an apartment lease and the location of the apartment is at E110 st and 2nd avenue...

my main concern is safety...i walked through the area (during the day) and it felt fine but people who know me whom i have told that i'm considering moving to east harlem say half negative half whatever comments on the neighborhood. i am currently living in jersey city which is gritty and can be scary but i deal with it and have never really felt unsafe.

my boyfriend and i are moving in together. i am asian and he's caucasian. i found this apartment which to my impression is a fairly safe and diverse neighborhood.

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 13,848 times
That area tends to be gritty and a bit dangerous...but NYC tends to be exaggerated when it comes to crime.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:57 PM

762 posts, read 1,750,713 times
Default Getting better

That is a little higher than where most people would say is an okay neighborhood, but I think you'll be fine. It really depends on the block and how much walking around you'll need to do, if you will be out late at night, etc. Hopefully, the M15 bus stops close to your door. I have a feeling that East Harlem/Spanish Harlem will be the up and coming nabe very soon. Used to be a not-so-nice area and no one wanted to go above 96th, but that's changed and keeps changing. If you are used to JC, you'll probably be fine on 110th. Don't venture higher up if you don't have to, always head south.

~~D~~

Old 06-21-2007, 10:56 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Yeah 96th st is generally considered the cut off point, but that has been changing. 20 years ago it used to be 86th st, today its 96th st. The main thing preventing this from going even higher up are the large number of housing projects in East Harlem (most for a neighborhood out of anywhere in the city). You will however see some non-black/hispanic people north of 96th st, but they are definitely in the minority.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:36 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Keep looking around the city, you can find a good deal in some better neighborhoods. Trust me.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:35 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,501,684 times
East Harlem isn't good. It has a high-concentration of Bloods. I'm not trying to scare you but the Bloods in NYC are known for going up to innocent people and cutting their face with a razor blade.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:42 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlalu View Post
hi!

i'm on the verge of signing an apartment lease and the location of the apartment is at E110 st and 2nd avenue...

my main concern is safety...i walked through the area (during the day) and it felt fine but people who know me whom i have told that i'm considering moving to east harlem say half negative half whatever comments on the neighborhood. i am currently living in jersey city which is gritty and can be scary but i deal with it and have never really felt unsafe.

my boyfriend and i are moving in together. i am asian and he's caucasian. i found this apartment which to my impression is a fairly safe and diverse neighborhood.

thank you!
Personally I think moving from JC to East Harlem is an upgrade. Just be careful at night.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:44 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,501,684 times
Here's an article about gang violence in East Harlem...
http://http://www.east-harlem.com/mt/archives/000046.html (broken link)

http://http://www.nysun.com/article/56290 (broken link)

Also, watch out for the Blue Top Mob (BTM). They're a murderous drug gang in East Harlem.

Harlem gangs include:
Bloods
Scorpions
Blue Top Mob (BTM)
Crips
Dominicans Don't Play (DDP)
Latin Kings

Old 06-22-2007, 08:33 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times
Default Comment

You will be robbed and beaten down. Rape is also a possibility. The reasons will be either for racial prejudice or pure robbery. Good luck spinning the roulette wheel with your safety.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:27 AM

167 posts, read 553,506 times
I am a 32 yr old blond female and I feel completely safe during the day and night there! I have a bunch of friends that live between 103rd and 117th and have lived there for yrs without an issue. I do stay away from those high rises. Enjoy the 'hood - lots of cheap (by Manhattan standards) and yummy PR/Dominican/Mexican restaurants!

Actually used to live in JC at Paulus Hook and had to drive through JC to get to my office. Now THAT I don't walk around at during the night or day - but E Harlem is fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City